PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions about suspension lifts and other fun stuff

J-Town
12-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Planning a lot of projects for my YJ, but this is my first Jeep and I've still got a lot to learn from what I see.

I'm going to take the advice I got in the introduction thread and mess around with my Jeep how it is now until I start getting a better feel for things and make my decision on what I want then, but I'd at least like to figure out a list of what all I'd actually need to purchase to put on a suspension lift and new wheels and tires...

I was looking at the 4" standard RE lift kit, haven't really seen any specific wheels or tires, checked out a few that I'm keeping in the back of my mind... but I'd definitely rather get input from people who have experience in this sort of thing.

My main concern right now is getting a rough price list so I know just how much I'm going to have to put into this, as well as every little piece of gear I'm going to need.

Oh, and on a side note, will my YJ really be able to handle anything right now? It's like completely stock, it's tires are less than 30s... I think they're something like 27 or 28... I don't have a winch, I do have two toe hooks on the front and a hitch on the back (if those count for anything)...

Probably pretty evident how much of a complete beginner I am, haha...

mudforblood
12-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Its a jeep so its ready for the trails!! The trick is to not be afraid of the vehicle and let it do its job. I dont know details on a YJ but I would guess 30" tires would fit stock. Smaller tires should be easy to find on here if you post up what you are looking for. There are also alot of mods you can do cheap before a lift to make it more capable off road like swaybars, tires, locker, trimming. No need for a winch either if you wheel with other people. I have a winch and the last few runs I was the only one to have one, it is just easier to get stuck/unstuck if you have one. Tow hooks are the first and most important thing that alot of people overlook.

We all started in the same place you are now. It is very stock freindly around here so no need for long arms and beadlocks just yet. Here is a brand new stock jeep that came with us and did pretty good. Put the tires in the dirt and never look back:icon_super:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c43/andrew2516/Thanksgiving%204x4ing/HPIM0802.jpg

J-Town
12-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Oh man, that picture was like all the reassurance I need... thanks man.

When I got new tires last year I got the biggest they said would fit, don't remember the exact measurements or whatever, but a rough look with a tape measure confirmed that they are indeed 27" or so...

http://er.psychojesters.com/94yj.jpg

Anyway, I really would like to get out and try some [very] beginner friendly stuff, see the kind of stuff more experienced people have done, get some pointers... I dunno if anyone would wanna take a complete beginner like me and a friend anywhere (He's got a 2000 TJ but he'd probably just ride along with me)

Any and all help is awesome

mudforblood
12-05-2006, 11:39 PM
I have this disease called jeepersitus destroyus and it greatly impairs my judgement when it comes to vehicles but I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to run with you guys when you are ready.:064: Ready yet? How bout now?? Seriously though when you are ready just post up and someone would probably go with you. I will go some where this weekend since it will be around 40 sat. and close to 50 sunday.

J-Town
12-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Hahaha yeah, I'd definitely be up for something, there is no such thing as too soon... I'd like to hold off on the whole, "jeepersitus destroyus" thing for a little while though... we made an unsuccessful attempt to find trails around here... closest we found was a big puddle in a neighborhood that's being expanded, and a bumpy dirt road that took maybe... 5 minutes tops...

It was enough to get a few of my friends anxious to get something real going, though... especially me, since it IS my jeep haha

ArtCloud
12-06-2006, 01:00 AM
I'd be up for some sunday wheeling I have an Xmas party to goto saturday evening so getting stuck before that would be crappy to say the least, latrobe is a little far from me, maybe we could organize a connellsville ride sunday I'd be down if some more people were willing to go.

Muzikman
12-06-2006, 04:13 AM
I don't think I have anything going on Sunday. A Connellsville run sounds good to me.

J-Town
12-06-2006, 08:13 AM
If my Jeep can handle it I'd love to go...

It'll be my first run though...

JackdUp
12-06-2006, 10:52 AM
If my Jeep can handle it I'd love to go...
It'll be my first run though...
If this is the same place I was with some of these guys, you'll have very little problem as long as it stays dry for the next few days up there and hardens up a bit. If we get a torrential downpour, soup city! :D

Krod
12-06-2006, 11:34 AM
Planning a lot of projects for my YJ, but this is my first Jeep and I've still got a lot to learn from what I see.

Oh, and on a side note, will my YJ really be able to handle anything right now? It's like completely stock, it's tires are less than 30s... I think they're something like 27 or 28...
Stockers get it too....Hell We took my YJ to Rausch Creek and did most of the blues (following guys on 33's...I was on 27" AT's). My skidplates took a beating and I had fueling issues on the way out, but it did pretty good overall. You dont have to wheel that hard stock....

I always loved this pic of my YJ getting the 3 wheel motion at Rausch Creek back when she was stock...http://www.personal.psu.edu/students/m/s/msl197/Jeep/laughing.gif

http://www.personal.psu.edu/students/m/s/msl197/Jeep/RauschCreek/DSCN0025%20%28Custom%29.JPG

OverkillZJ
12-06-2006, 11:50 AM
There's something to be said about wheeling a stocker, it'll teach you to be a much better driver (at least until you go big, forget how to drive well, stop caring, and bust out the sawzall).

andrew2516
12-06-2006, 11:51 AM
Stockers get it too....Hell We took my YJ to Rausch Creek and did most of the blues (following guys on 33's...I was on 27" AT's). My skidplates took a beating and I had fueling issues on the way out, but it did pretty good overall. You dont have to wheel that hard stock....

I always loved this pic of my YJ getting the 3 wheel motion at Rausch Creek back when she was stock...http://www.personal.psu.edu/students/m/s/msl197/Jeep/laughing.gif

http://www.personal.psu.edu/students/m/s/msl197/Jeep/RauschCreek/DSCN0025%20%28Custom%29.JPG

Oh my...I can't believe how much different a lift and tires looks! I'll see if I can scan some pics of my jeep stock on street rims with Hoosier tires!

Muzikman
12-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Alley started a new thread in the Ride and M&G forum about a run this Sunday. It will be totally stock friendly. In Oct we had a stock ZJ up there and just a few weeks ago we had a totally stock S10 Blazer.

andrew2516
12-06-2006, 11:55 AM
The best way to get into wheeling is to just go out and run some trails with a few people. I've seen to many guys put lifts on their vehicles and get tires and go wheeling once and then realize that it isn't really a hobby they like.

You already have recovery points so, you should be pretty much set. You will be surprised at what your stock YJ can do, especially if you have never really wheeled it before.

Krod
12-06-2006, 11:59 AM
There's something to be said about wheeling a stocker, it'll teach you to be a much better driver (at least until you go big, forget how to drive well, stop caring, and bust out the sawzall).

I'll tell you one thing....it sure taught me how to pick a good line and see traction before you're in the middle of an obsticle. And YJs dont have all that nice flex like stocker TJs to bail you out if you pick a crappy line. LOL

YJBeef
12-06-2006, 06:20 PM

the biggest one of them!!!!

ArtCloud
12-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Confirmation, Connelsville, Sunday the 11th??

Anyone wanna start a signup thread?? Include time and meeting place! I'm not too framiliar with the area, so directions to meeting place should probably be included.

K nvm, I'm three steps behing Alley, lol.

stesul411
12-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Go for it dude. My son wheels a very worn out bone stock 93 Cherokee on 235 75 15 AT's and it goes very well for him. Hes a pretty good of roader, but then he had a good teacher riding shotgun and spotting with me for many years.

Not sure what the guy at the tire store told you about tires but 30's will fit with some slight rubbing in the front at full flex/full lock (been there done it).

gonecheenin
12-12-2006, 01:28 AM
I'll tell you one thing....it sure taught me how to pick a good line and see traction before you're in the middle of an obsticle. And YJs dont have all that nice flex like stocker TJs to bail you out if you pick a crappy line. LOL

They key on a YJ is taking off them stupid arse trac-bars & getting some front sway bar disconnects

Or just plain take the sway bar off, thats what i did on my YJ hich wouldn't make it up onto a sidewalk stock, but with them stupid trac bars off, 1/2 tread 31's & sway bar disconnected it rivaled a TJ in wheel travel & went like a champ many places i didn't expect :jawdrop:

Warning though,
31" A/T's will eat your front fenders up without bumpstop extensions (made mine from simple square tubing) and without the front swaybar your YJ on stock springs will have quite a bit of body roll
It will still drive fine, but it will feel scary at first till you realize that even though the body is leaning the YJ still drives straight & true
Once you put on lift springs that goes away though.

If i was in your shoes I'd pull of all the trac-bars, put disconnects on the sway bar, hunt up some 31" tires (recaps are even good if your poor like me :036: ), do a 1" all mount body lift (no pucks), put on a little longer front & rear shocks (got a NAPA part# for those somewhere) and have a good old time :004:

Next moves would be a 1" motor mount lift, 3.5" superlift springs with the longer NAPA shocks above (NO t-case drop though!),
and a traction device (I had a lockright in the front diff, worked great (huge difference offroad), very streetable, and saved the D35 alot (planned on posi-ing the 35 so it would help the front without really stressing a single shaft like a locker)
BTW: got my lockright cheap thats why i bought it, but if you buy new I'd go with a Aussi locker, much higher quality & a excellant price.

With that stuff your done & have a very nicely setup rig unless your looking to go hardcore :047:

J-Town
12-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Many thanks for that detailed response, I'll definitely be looking into a lot of that stuff ... next issue is figuring out cost :022:

gonecheenin
12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Many thanks for that detailed response, I'll definitely be looking into a lot of that stuff ... next issue is figuring out cost :022:

Removing the trac bars/swqap bar, longer shocks, & more aggressive tires will give you the most bang for your buck and shouldn't cost much either (bought 250 or so)

gonecheenin
12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
Heres your locker for the front man, likely get it for $150

http://www.northeastcrawlers.com/necforum/showthread.php?t=4265