PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a 400-450 sport quad, have opinions?

HeepH8erTy
03-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm thinkin about gettin a sport quad. I'd like somethin around a 400, maybe a 450...something a few years old would like to spend less than $2,500 if possible. Of the Honda, Kawi, and Zuki 400's... which one's the best? I have always been a bit partial to the 400EX's... but I want the most reliable one... the one with the least amount of known common problems. Are there certain years for any of these that I should try to stay away from?
A 450 would be nice but they are bit more dough... and I dont think I need an all out race quad really (thats what the dirtbike is for:035:). If I do happen to go with a 450, has anyone heard anything bad about Honda 450 motors? My buddy said on his CRF450, he had problems with the valves. Said he had to constantly adjust them. Anyone else heard of this? I kinda think I'd want a YFZ450 if I went this route anyways tho.

I dont really think I want a 4wd or utility quad. I have been riding 4wds lately... and while I do absolutely love how they are like tanks in the woods and mud... I like toyin/playin around and going a lil faster.

I just wanted to see if any quad guys could help lend me some insight? Also, see if anyone is tryin to get rid of one?

oros35
03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
I'm partial to the 400ex's too, I've ridden and abused mine since '99 and it's still a tank. I rebuilt it in '05 with a 426 kit and some other engine work, it's stronger than new.
I ride hard about once a year and don't worry one bit that it will let me down. Every few months I take it for a spin around the yard, then once a year I beat the snot out of it for a weekend until I can't walk. The Ex takes the abuse like a champ.

Have some experience on the others. I've ridden the Zuks and Yamahas and 450 honda, they are all good and a nice ride (suspension is much better than stock 400ex), but I never felt the need to get anything other than my 400ex.

Sycotik Skier
03-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Any of the, 450's will need valve adjustments. The kfx400 z400 and dvx400 are the same quad with different plastic

Chvlesuprsprt396
03-11-2013, 11:58 AM
I have an 07 yfz 450 it's a blast to ride and plenty of power actually for sale at the moment

Sycotik Skier
03-11-2013, 07:54 PM
There are quite a few 450's on c list for what you're looking to spend too

HeepH8erTy
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
I have an 07 yfz 450 it's a blast to ride and plenty of power actually for sale at the moment

i got your e-mail. Is that on c-list? Im pretty damn sure I saw it on there.

Last night I went down to Xtreme Suzuki to look around with a buddy of mine... and I found out they are offering 0% financing for 5 years... I'm trying to really hard to find a downside to this. No interest...payments are around $140-$150 a month....I may be getting myself a Z400. I saw on their website they have a Limited one thats a lil more pricey but comes in a badass color:

http://www.arkportcycles.com/imglib/newinv/suzuki/2012/products/QSZ400L/121221112221.jpg

Anyone know what the Limited has the other one doesnt?

XJchris98
03-12-2013, 12:48 PM
What happend to building the XJ??????

PatF10
03-12-2013, 01:18 PM
yea you change your mind more than anyone i know. Now will you qualify for the 0% is it zero down. 5 years or not you are still spending more money just to get something new. Then what is it worth used when you want to sell it. If you buy something used outright you dont have to worry about the payment if you do end up short on cash for some reason.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
You couldn't afford half an AR15 build. Just sayin.

Would you really keep that toy for 5 years? I know I get tired of things faster than that. Im on my third motorcycle in 5 years.

I always finance new but I pay it off in a year or two tops when the deal is for 4 or 5 years. By that time I'm ready to sell.

Super Scout
03-12-2013, 02:28 PM

l.

I was gonna say it too....

flimmy
03-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Go to Hillview , Talk to Tom , aka JeepGeneral

http://www.hillviewmotorsports.com/

toocheaptosmoke
03-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Get a 450R then chop it in half, that's what I would do. :033:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u275/250rfan/450plastics017-1.jpg

HeepH8erTy
03-13-2013, 06:58 AM
What happend to building the XJ??????

Im just keeping it. Building slowly if I see a deal on something... not planning to wheel it anytime in the near future. Just a DD pig to take my lazy ass across the street to work for now.

yea you change your mind more than anyone i know. Now will you qualify for the 0% is it zero down. 5 years or not you are still spending more money just to get something new. Then what is it worth used when you want to sell it. If you buy something used outright you dont have to worry about the payment if you do end up short on cash for some reason.

Yea yea, no shit I change my mind a lot. I thought you new me better than that Pat? :flipoff2: I love toys and need em all! And yea, I already qualified and its 0 down. Yea, I understand that its a little bit more cause the financing company still hasta make money. I was planning on just buying a used one at first and take a personal loan out so I didn't hafta dump it all at once...but I'll have interest and im sure it will be a crappy rate. I have one last payment on my bike now, I figured this quad payment is going to be half what the dirtbike was, so it shouldn't be bad.

Would you really keep that toy for 5 years? I know I get tired of things faster than that. Im on my third motorcycle in 5 years.

I always finance new but I pay it off in a year or two tops when the deal is for 4 or 5 years. By that time I'm ready to sell.

Lol it wasn't that I couldnt afford it, I was going through a little rough patch there and wasnt doin good. Stuff's all squared away now and I bought the AR back from my old man already.

I dont see me wanting it for 5 years either, I can see me paying it off and being rid of it in a couple o years.

PatF10
03-13-2013, 09:17 AM
I dont see me wanting it for 5 years either, I can see me paying it off and being rid of it in a couple o years.

Thats almost why i wouldnt buy new. Run the numbers though if you buy new with no interest and sell in three years what is the loss? What will it cost to buy something used with a loan and interest? or buy it outright, Its a damn good feeling to not be in debt to anyone, no one can take your shit of you dont pay!

JeepGeneral
03-13-2013, 10:55 PM
0% seals the deal if you were planning in having a payment anyways. You can buy more machine for less money than at conventional rates. If not, look for a nice used one but remember you always get what you pay for. I see hundreds of machines each year and there is no such thing as a nice, cheap ATV.

In my opinion, the new Z400s are too expensive. Nice pre-owned 2009s (first year with FI) can be had for under $4000. If you have cash burning a home in your pocket that us the way I would go. If not and you have to finance, your payments (and total payback) will be less on a new one.

I've got a beautiful 2009 that I sold new a few years ago, the guy traded it back in last week with 34 hours on it:
http://www.hillviewmotorsports.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=09143183X3K13K2013J9I52 I36JPMQ6065R0&veh=112287&pov=3124421

I can get new ones as well, all in all they are probably the best sport ATV for woods riding in our area.

Thanks for the plug flimmy!

flimmy
03-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the plug flimmy!

Your welcome and it looked like your whole inventory was outside today when I went by. Are you having a BIG sale or just spring cleaning

HeepH8erTy
03-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Got some "not so great" news from work for the upcoming year. Its lookin like buying any new toys this year is outta the question for me.

Super Scout
03-20-2013, 09:38 AM
^ U work for cat right ? Hopefully this economy picks up.

PatF10
03-20-2013, 10:14 AM
yea i wouldnt imagine coal companies are ordering a ton of new equip at this point.

HeepH8erTy
03-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Yea...its hard to say whats going on. I don't really know what I can and can't say, but yea, it's not the end of the world at least lol. All of the information security training I did when I first got here makes me feel like everything we do is Top-Secret lol and I like my job, so I'll just keep my big mouth shut.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-20-2013, 06:13 PM
CAT is a monster of a publicly traded corporation so there isn't much you would say that we can't get from the news:

http://buzz.money.cnn.com/2013/03/20/caterpillar-stock/

JeepGeneral
03-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Your welcome and it looked like your whole inventory was outside today when I went by. Are you having a BIG sale or just spring cleaning

We were flipping the showroom for Spring, but everything is always on sale!

HeepH8erTy
03-21-2013, 07:08 AM
CAT is a monster of a publicly traded corporation so there isn't much you would say that we can't get from the news:

http://buzz.money.cnn.com/2013/03/20/caterpillar-stock/

well there ya go lol