PDA

View Full Version : 5 critical items of survival

muddeprived
04-03-2013, 07:23 AM
So my buddy and I are going on a 3 night/4 day survival trip in the woods at my step father's farm. We are bringing only 3 cans of food, one canteen of water, and my 1187 with 36 rounds. Our goal is to live off the land. I know there's ALOT of small game around that area so I'm pretty sure we can find food and there's a creek with water ready to be boiled. We are discussing what five items we must bring.

I'm thinking good knife, machete, multi-tool, 100ft of thin rope, and magnesium fire starter.

Not really planning on using the fire starter because we are gonna try the bow-style drill to get a fire going and also practice other methods we learned but it will be there if we absolutely need it.

What would you bring if you had to choose 5 items?

Super Scout
04-03-2013, 07:29 AM
Gun and Ammo, Knife, Rope, Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning, Matches, Makers Mark...

jackb1
04-03-2013, 07:55 AM
How are you going to boil water if a pot isn't on your list, or are you going to scavenge for a container? Are you sleeping under the stars or are a tent and sleeping bag not on the list either? How much of a "survival" trip is it? Like you walked off and got lost with nothing, or more of a primitive camping trip?

I keep a fire steel, flashlight, knife, 550 cord in my truck. I guess add gun to the list and there's the 5 I'd pick.

I've been trying to plan something like this with a buddy for a few years but our schedules have never been able to do it. Should be fun.

justin'sbig7
04-03-2013, 07:58 AM
500' paracord, 1 good knife, fire starting device, first aid kit, container to boil water.

Keep in mind that wildlife is protected by the state and can land you in some trouble shooting anything out of season.

The_War_Wagon
04-03-2013, 08:10 AM
I've ALWAYS wanted to try a SteriPEN water purifier myself... but if YOU try it first, I'd like to hear your report! :112:

muddeprived
04-03-2013, 08:10 AM
How are you going to boil water if a pot isn't on your list, or are you going to scavenge for a container? Are you sleeping under the stars or are a tent and sleeping bag not on the list either? How much of a "survival" trip is it? Like you walked off and got lost with nothing, or more of a primitive camping trip?

I keep a fire steel, flashlight, knife, 550 cord in my truck. I guess add gun to the list and there's the 5 I'd pick.

I've been trying to plan something like this with a buddy for a few years but our schedules have never been able to do it. Should be fun.

We are bringing 3 cans of soup/food or whatever we decide on, and gonna use the empty cans to boil water. I have a hammock and mosquito net in my pack so those are coming along. That's how I plan to sleep (unless i build a nice shelter) but not sure about him since he keeps mentioning his tent. It's more of a primitive style learning trip, to get experience on how to build shelters, start fire, obtain water, etc. This is our first trip out there so we are gonna have a few modern things like the hammock/tent. Once we gain experience then we'll do a more serious survival trip.

Thanks for the info on the wildlife being protected. This also applies to private property, as in my step father owns the land? All animals like rabbits, squirrels, and little game? If no animals, then i can always take a walk till I hit one of his big farms and take some stuff he got growing. He wouldn't mind.

muddeprived
04-03-2013, 08:13 AM
I've ALWAYS wanted to try a SteriPEN water purifier myself... but if YOU try it first, I'd like to hear your report! :112:

That is so cool. If only I had the $$. I do have a bottle of GSE (grapefruit seed extract) which is also used to purify water but I'm gonna stick to boiling it.

justin'sbig7
04-03-2013, 08:55 AM
Game is protected on all property. State private or federal.

I like your thought process on it, and not trying to be a party pooper, just be careful of what you put out there in regards.

Super Scout
04-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Here you go on the game laws, and what is and isnt in season.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=576240&mode=2

DMG
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
I would prioritize based on the rule of 3s. You survive 3 minutes without oxygen, 3 hours without protection from the cold (shelter + fire or whatever shelter is appropriate for conditions) 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food. So I would bring: Big Gerber multitool, tarp, blanket or sleeping bag, matches/lighter, paracord.

joshs1ofakindxj
04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
I will never try starting a fire with the stick and bow method again unless it is dire circumstances. Me and 5 other guys took turns working at it for about a half hour with ideal conditions, proper woods, proper tinder, dry, etc. and it was not only dangerously exhausting but returned almost no results. Since then I've kept a fire starting tool in every vehicle, in every jacket pocket, and on every key ring.

I guess I'm kind of anti camp fire except when you're just out in the woods goofing off with friends. I would rather bring the right gear and avoid a fire all together unless you have to cook wild game.

If I have my milsurp sleep system I can and have slept outside in the snow on a -25 night and been uncomfortably warm so fire isn't needed for warmth.

On a sunny day with clear plastic bottles, the sun can purify water. Won't help for chemical contamination. There are plenty of backpacker systems out there like the steripin or filtering pumps. You can buy Berkey filters and make yourself something out of PVC.

Building a proper shelter takes hours. We used to do it JROTC in high school once a month. Start early or work in the dark. This will also probably require most of the wood you would of used for keeping a fire going all night.

Para chord is definitely awesome for making tools and furniture. We made a rough table and a set of chairs from sticks and para chord one time.

Get yourself a book on edible plants that is specific to this region and for the love of all things that don't make you sick buy one in color. It's so stupid to own a black and white edible plant guide when color can kill or save you.

SirFuego
04-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Sounds like a cool trip. Is it happening soon or something you are planning once the weather gets nicer? I'd love to do something similar at some point.

Once you guys get "settled" after the first night or two, it might not be a bad idea to try to build your own shelter even if you have your tent and/or hammock. Although if it's raining, you probably won't have much of a choice than to build your shelter immediately if you just bring your hammock.

In terms of your 5 things, a good knife, machete, and multitool are redundant, IMO. A multi-tool will have a knife (and if it's a good one, it will be a "good" knife). Depending on the tools in the multi-tool, it may be no more helpful than a machete. Although the pliers could be useful for picking up a boiling hot can of water.

But this is primitive "survival". So whatever you bring, you make do, and learn. Plus for items as "small" and useful as those, I don't think anyone would complain if they had all three in a survival situation.

FWIW, I would bring a cell phone and just shut it off and keep it somewhere just in case the shit hits the fan. Unlikely, but for a "first" survival trip, I'd rather have a modern convenience "just in case" than not have it at all.

muddeprived
04-03-2013, 10:10 AM
It's gonna go down May 25-28, regardless of weather conditions.

I have 100 ft of standard rope that's designed for clothe lines. Will that suffice for this? I've had it laying around and been wanting to use it for something. I figured it would be fine for tying joints of the shelter structure and other things. I won't be dangling from a cliff with it though. I'm not sure where to buy paracord.

I used to be a boy scout when I was younger and they taught us how to make a bow drill and start a fire. They said the trick is starting the hole for the spindle and then cutting a V notch to, and a little bit into, the hole so the dust and embers can fall out into a pile. The instructor did this and had a fire started in about 7 minutes. It's very difficult to do it without the v-notch to the hole. I'm gonna be practicing out on the patio the next couple weeks till I get it down.

I don't own a cell phone but i'm sure my buddy will bring his. it's not really needed since we are only about a mile from the farm but never know.

The_War_Wagon
04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Grab a Wilderness Survival Merit Badge pamphlet, and complete ALL the requirements! :040:

My son's Scout Troop just did that 3 weekends ago, up at Raccoon State Park. It's a LOT more challenging in the PA cold, than it was in the NC summertime, when I earned it... 32 years ago!

justin'sbig7
04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
I would get the paracord over the nylon. It is invaluable and the properties of it far outshine regular nylon rope.

muddeprived
04-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Ok I found 50ft of paracord at wally world for $9. Can't go wrong there.

Azzy
04-03-2013, 10:25 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Paracord-Planet-550lb-Type-Black/dp/B007Z1I9Z0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364999094&sr=8-2&keywords=paracord

And you can have it overnight. Seriously useful stuff.

muddeprived
04-03-2013, 10:31 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Paracord-Planet-550lb-Type-Black/dp/B007Z1I9Z0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1364999094&sr=8-2&keywords=paracord

And you can have it overnight. Seriously useful stuff.

oHhhhhh killer deal. Thanks! $9 for 100'. I added that to the hammock and mosquito net and get all three for $36 and free shipping. NICE!

pittim
04-03-2013, 12:35 PM
a bug out bag with everything i needed

Super Scout
04-03-2013, 01:20 PM
How do you guys plan on surviving anything without Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning ? I would rather be dead than eat bland food.

joshs1ofakindxj
04-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Even an mre comes with a small bottle of tabasco

The_War_Wagon
04-03-2013, 06:24 PM
How do you guys plan on surviving anything without Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning ? I would rather be dead than eat bland food.

Grow habaņeros at your retreat site. Or Guatamalean Insanity peppers - whatever suits your fancy! :119:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/insanity-pepper.jpg

muddeprived
04-03-2013, 09:15 PM

LOL. Back when the two of us were bodybuilding in college, we ate everything straight up and bland. No artificial ingredients or additives/flavoring were added to our foods and we got used to it. I still eat that way except when I'm drunk. :)

muddeprived
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Grow habaņeros at your retreat site. Or Guatamalean Insanity peppers - whatever suits your fancy! :119:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/insanity-pepper.jpg

I was actually thinking of taking a few hot peppers to cook over the fire. Never had a fire-roasted pepper before.

DMG
04-04-2013, 06:23 PM
That was the best Simpsons episode.

muddeprived
04-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Ok here's what I got and probably the only things I'm hauling. It should all fit into a small backpack:

24" full tang machete
magnesium fire starter
100 ft of nylon rope
100 ft of paracord
hammock
mosquito net
multi tool
two folding knives
4 cans of corn chowder
1 can of spam
double layer of clothing
first aid kit
1187 shottie

That's about it for the 4 days out there.

My buddy, on the other hand, has like 12 additional items he wants to bring but we are gonna sit down and sort what he really needs for survival and not for "camping".

We also decided to document the trip with a camera.

muddeprived
04-13-2013, 08:23 AM
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/machete_zps2c45ef88.jpg (http://s693.photobucket.com/user/Chriseatsmud/media/machete_zps2c45ef88.jpg.html)

Quite excited about this piece. Almost ordered a different one before I learned to always buy full tang for the strength. Full tang it is.

joshs1ofakindxj
05-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Well this hasn't been updated so I guess you guys didnt survive!

muddeprived
05-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Hasn't happened yet LOL.

Scheduled to start the evening of May 25th. I'm preparing with my food intake, sleep schedule, and stuff like that.

2002wranglerX
05-16-2013, 12:04 PM
a gun and ammo

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/3242946048/h9393D506/

always broke
05-16-2013, 07:35 PM
I think you could cut your list in half and still "survive" quite comfortably. Do you really need a machete, two knives, and a multi tool?

Azzy
05-16-2013, 11:58 PM
If you got to fix your machette and hold it down with another knife, yes.

muddeprived
05-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I think you could cut your list in half and still "survive" quite comfortably. Do you really need a machete, two knives, and a multi tool?

You are right. I will most likely leave the knife home. The multi-tool is a compact version so it will be in my pocket and I'll have the machete in my hand.

I just discovered that our digital video camera has time lapse recording mode. Sweet! That will be useful. :)

wj lizard
05-21-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm late to the party but I would take a stainless steel canteenyou can also use it to boil water fishing line and fishing hooksa multi tool with a good saw and knife blade a small tarp or garbage bag can double as poncho and fire starter....I would leave the shotgun home and bring a high cal handgun instead just for the ease of walking around with besides I'm no expert but if you come across a bear or mountain lion a shotgun is just gonna piss them off and this the season for sightings

RalphXJ
05-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Survival camping is fun, brings back memories from Boy Scouts. I believe the last time we went out, was a winter trip (got our Below Zero patch that trip) and had a blast! A good tarp is always nice to use to pack stuff in, as well as using for your shelter when you get to your campsite. Starting a fire with a bow and stick is SUPER simple if you know what your doing, shouldn't take more then a couple minutes with the right setup, but a magnesium started is just as easy. If you are by a pond or river with fish, that's a much easier way to get food then hoping to find small game, which may or may not be available or in season.

muddeprived
05-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the tips again. I'm thinking about buying a small tarp and making my own backpack out of it so it's there in case we need it. I could just buy a backpack of some sort but what fun/good is a regular backpack?

Weather looks to be good, although a little chilly on Saturday. 70's/50's are the numbers for those 4 days but still too early to tell.

I'm still thinking about the shotgun. I don't really NEED it but we both are feeling it's better to have it and not need it. My stepfather told us that seeing small black bears around there isn't uncommon but pretty rare to stumble upon one. Maybe I'll swap guns with him and take something smaller than my 1187. He has practically every gun.....

always broke
05-22-2013, 06:05 AM
When was the last time you heard of a bear attacking a person in Pennsylvania.............you have a better chance of a tree falling on you than getting attacked by a bear. You're more likely to get bit by a tick and die from lymes disease than get eaten by a bear. I would pack a can of Off bug spray over the shotgun. If you were out west or Alaska it would be different story.

SirFuego
05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the tips again. I'm thinking about buying a small tarp and making my own backpack out of it so it's there in case we need it. I could just buy a backpack of some sort but what fun/good is a regular backpack?

How many items are you up to now?

muddeprived
05-22-2013, 12:42 PM
How many items are you up to now?

Knife
multi-tool (attached to keys of jeep so it's always there)
machete
fire starter (optional)
100 ft of paracord (portion of it used for the backpack)
5x7 tarp (used for backpack but will not be used for anything else unless absolutely necessary)
hammock (thinking about leaving this behind to make it more challenging)
mosquito net for sleeping
7 cans of food and one log of summer sausage (4k calories worth of food, more than enough)
shotgun (optional)

weather forecast is 70's/50's for the 4 days (as of now) so i will be wearing double layer of clothing that can be swapped to suit either weather condition. No soap, toothbrush, shampoo, etc........

Here's where I've progressed so far on the backpack......so far I got the main triangular frame intact and it's very strong. Tomorrow I will work on the netting of the frame that will hold the tarp full of all my items and the shoulder straps and then attach the tarp to the frame but I'm still thinking of what to utilize for shoulder straps so that it's comfortable. I can deal with just plain rope but if there's a way to get some comfort into it (using what I have, or not), then I will try.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/backpack_zpse7de3057.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/backpack_zpse7de3057.jpg.html)

(cat must inspect n approve everything that comes into the apt....)

SirFuego
05-23-2013, 10:56 AM
So apparently maple seeds (the things in the "helicopters") are edible. I popped one out of the helicopter thingy and tried one raw last night and it actually wasn't too bad. I'd imagine that roasting them over a fire would make them taste even better. Apparently this is the "best" time of the year to eat them since they are fresh. I guess they get more bitter as they get older.

muddeprived
05-23-2013, 12:48 PM
So a little update here....I spent the past two days creating the backpack and sharpening my machete.

Here's the backpack frame all done and mounted:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/backpack1_zps1df0253b.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/backpack1_zps1df0253b.jpg.html)
(pls ignore the toy guy and monster high purse...they are gifts for kids! LOL)

Here are the supplies I'm bringing that will be wrapped up tightly in the 5x7 tarp and then attached to the net of the backpack (tarp will not be used unless absolutely necessary, as in if it starts snowing) :

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/supplies_zps6b4a372a.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/supplies_zps6b4a372a.jpg.html)

The backpack plus tarp only costs me $7 total.....nice!

I'm still sharpening my machete but once I'm done with it tmw then I'll put the sharpening puck in there (maybe), wrap it tight, and hook it onto the backpack. After that, it's a waiting game till Saturday morning 0900.

The excitement is actually pretty intense...lol.

muddeprived
05-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Funny how the weather is changing at the exact time of our trip. It seems like it will be in the 60's/40's while we are out there, then on Tuesday when we leave it will go up to 80's. It was 70's/80's all last week.

dcarr1971
05-24-2013, 02:04 PM
IMO, the weather we're having today (wet, temps in the 40's) can be some of the toughest. (I'd take temps in the teens w/snow any day over this if it was me was camping out.)

I look forward to hearing how this goes for you. Good luck.

muddeprived
05-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Headin to work and then straight into the woods afterwards.

Be back in four days! :)

always broke
05-30-2013, 10:43 PM
How did it go?

justin'sbig7
06-01-2013, 08:10 AM
do we need to organize a search and rescue for mud?

muddeprived
06-01-2013, 08:25 AM
LOL....nah I'm here. The trip was a bust by day 2. Nothing went as planned and we made too many mistakes. We rescheduled the event for August 30-Sept 2nd. It bothers me like mad that I quit early but.....I get a second chance.

always broke
06-01-2013, 11:48 AM
I kinda figured.....it got pretty cold that weekend.

muddeprived
06-01-2013, 09:15 PM
I kinda figured.....it got pretty cold that weekend.

Yeah that's what pissed me off. It was like "ok kids, today is the first day of boy scouts and we will try to make fire with...(starts snowing)...."

It was in the 80's the week before and of course, the week after, but it had to drop down to the 50's/30's the exact day(s) we decided to go out there. The cold wasn't the big reason for us leaving though. My work crushed me the night before and I was totally tanked by the morning we were to leave and then I got no sleep for the next 32 hours and could barely do anything I needed to do. The deer ticks sucking my blood didn't help either and I had no way of removing them before they did some possible damage. My buddy also went sleepless the first night and he's never done that in his life. I had to drive the whole way home cuz he could not keep his eyes open.

A bunch of excuses though......but not next time.

joshs1ofakindxj
06-01-2013, 10:09 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3q6q4l.jpg

joshs1ofakindxj
06-01-2013, 10:12 PM
But seriously, ticks? Is it because I grew up in the country that I am immune to them? I've never even SEEN one and I have walked through deer beds in shorts countless times while walking around. I have already had a sneaking suspicion that ticks like to bite city slickers.

ridgerunner97
06-01-2013, 10:16 PM
^ I swear to god your onto something. Townie from work was squawking about ticks as I was chest deep in a fence row pulling old wire out before I cleared it. I've never had one on me either, nor seen one even on my pants etc.

muddeprived
06-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Yeah it's the first time I ever seen one myself. They are VERY difficult to see and I got lucky spotting the ones that were on me. They look like a tiny mole until you get close and see the little red ring that surrounds their body (from the bite). I had to scan my skin closely to find them cuz i have flat moles all over my body and then pick em off with tweezers. I heard that they start sucking blood after around 24 hours and that's when the chance of getting Lyme disease increases (but rare).

muddeprived
06-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Here's the spot we chose to set up camp. That's my buddy Rich collecting wood:

(click to see vid)
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/th_SDV_0206_zpsc20e2d45.jpg (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/SDV_0206_zpsc20e2d45.mp4)

Starting fire on a wet ground.....got excited about it:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/th_IMG_1326_zps24c46180.jpg (http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/IMG_1326_zps24c46180.mp4)

muddeprived
06-02-2013, 07:54 AM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image7_zps0d6f951f.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image7_zps0d6f951f.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image10_zps8c012cd2.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image10_zps8c012cd2.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image12_zps0a4b10f8.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image12_zps0a4b10f8.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image4_zps13039b52.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image4_zps13039b52.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image2_zpsb936b462.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image2_zpsb936b462.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image1_zpsccae8663.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image1_zpsccae8663.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image5_zps8ea14101.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image5_zps8ea14101.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image11_zps7bfe7910.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image11_zps7bfe7910.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image3_zps22c7d3b7.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image3_zps22c7d3b7.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/survival/image13_zpsd89bff16.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/survival/image13_zpsd89bff16.jpg.html)

always broke
06-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm no city slicker and I have tick encounters all the time. I also have a bird dog and spend lots of time in the woods. Lymes disease is serious. I know several people effected by it including my mother. Its no reason not to go outdoors though....f**k, trees fall over everyday too and one of those could get ya.

justin'sbig7
06-02-2013, 10:30 AM
I have heard diet will cause natural tick/skeeter repellant. if you eat a lot of garlic or onions its supposed to repel them. I get a lot of ticks up here in butler and around clarion, my bird dogs do too but I usually seem to find them before they sink in.

ridgerunner97
06-02-2013, 11:12 AM
^ That may be a valid explanation for my lack of tick issues. I eat a shit ton of garlic and onions regularly.

Super Scout
06-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I feel like my pores ooze whiskey and garlic, aint no tick gonna bite me.

muddeprived
06-03-2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the tip about garlic and onions. I'm gonna stuff that sh$$ down a week or two prior to the next trip. Peanut Butter Onion Garlic sandwich anyone?

justin'sbig7
06-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Thanks for the tip about garlic and onions. I'm gonna stuff that sh$$ down a week or two prior to the next trip. Peanut Butter Onion Garlic sandwich anyone?

That's a deer camp delicacy, only on a ritz cracker with sardines and pickle stacked on top

DMG
06-05-2013, 09:53 PM
Most of your pictures have bananas in them.

muddeprived
06-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Most of your pictures have bananas in them.

Organic bananas. :)

muddeprived
06-10-2013, 01:07 AM
Success! We have successful created fire by friction via bow drill. It was amazing. :)