PDA

View Full Version : Any Dmax nuts?

Sloth_Fratelli
04-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Thinking of picking up a Dmax soon. I know everything about the trucks but nothing about the 6.6 in the way of what to look out for

DMG
04-27-2013, 09:54 AM
The first series Dmax had injector issues. I have a customer on their 3rd set.

The Alison wont take much more than stock power levels. Good running, good pulling trucks.

Reinforce the tie rods.

Plan on replacing unit bearings.

Sloth_Fratelli
04-27-2013, 10:23 AM
The first series Dmax had injector issues. I have a customer on their 3rd set.

The Alison wont take much more than stock power levels. Good running, good pulling trucks.

Reinforce the tie rods.

Plan on replacing unit bearings.

I'm not as worried about what to look for on the truck, I've worked on a few and seen the jackass that broke his tie rod at scrubgrass trying to do a donut with a trailer in the parking lot last year lol. I just don't wanna buy a good body and turd motor. What were the years on the first series?

dan58
04-27-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm not as worried about what to look for on the truck, I've worked on a few and seen the jackass that broke his tie rod at scrubgrass trying to do a donut with a trailer in the parking lot last year lol. I just don't wanna buy a good body and turd motor. What were the years on the first series?

It's the LB7 that you don't want. Through mid-04.

oros35
04-27-2013, 07:21 PM
I have the LLY 04.5-05 (some of 06 but they were closer to the LBZ)

The 01-04.5 have known injector problems that can be costly (expect to change them before 200K mi at a cost of $2-4K or more), but they also had other advantages. Better mpg, cheaper to buy, not to many other problems.
The LLYs have injector wiring issues that are a pretty easy fix, but can provide headaches. They tend to run hot and it's noticable when the fan kicks on, some overheat more than others. Occationally they have head gasket failure (fairly rare but very costly parts $2K) seems to be related to heat cycles not power additions, and just luck.

The LBZ 06-07.5 has fewer problems than the older ones. And has the least emmisions crap. They also have the 6 speed allison, which is better, but is known for leaky cooler lines.

If I were to buy a newer one, I would either buy the newest one I could afford, or stick to the LBZ 06-07.5.

I know quite a bit about the LLY's from first hand experience. Done all the work myself, and seem to have had more than average problems. Done a bunch of upgrades, changed the water pump, had many injector wire problems and fixed them, 2 throttle position sensors, WIF sensor, wheel speed sensor, 1 wheel bearing, rotted off fuel return line ...
And now I'm getting into changing my injectors. The LLY's are not free from injector problems either, but they are much cheaper and easier to deal with than the LB7's.
I have 162K miles on mine. I'm still happy I picked this truck. I have thought about trading it in on a LBZ but the prices on them are still too high for it to make sense for me. It's paid off and tossing a few bucks a month for maintenance is still way cheaper than $30K+ for a good LBZ.

justin'sbig7
04-27-2013, 08:56 PM
I liked my 05 lly, nice truck, lots of power stock, expensive to fix. I went through a couple sets of all front end parts, both wheel bearings a few times.

I had an edge chip in it the last year I owned it, never before, and I did not run a hot tune (maybe level 2 or 3)

my injectors started getting pretty noisy and running 2 cycle oil would quiet it down a bit. I was looking at about 4K to replace the injectors.

then the trans started running a lot hotter, like 150* on a winter day unloaded.

the pisser was at 106k miles the transfer case oil pump wore a hole in the case and damn near pumped it dry. I luckily caught it as soon as it started, It didn't go completely dry on me so it wasn't a total replacement ($2k)but still pricey, the rear half transfer case and the case saver kit aren't cheap. it jacks me off that GM hasn't done anything to recall this and most of the HD trucks are having this issue. if you haven't yet, you will.

This is when I traded it in on the cummins, they are at least cheaper to buy parts for. I honestly wouldn't go for another dmax unless it was under warranty

Super Scout
04-27-2013, 11:01 PM
FREd, you ain't gonna buy shit. Stop wasting our time lol.

oros35
04-27-2013, 11:29 PM
LLY injectors are $200ea for refurb ones or $300ea for Bosch reman ones, and changing them is a not hard. Unlike the LB7's you usually only have 1 or 2 that go bad (get plugged or have excessive leakby) I'm starting replacing the #2 on mine which has the highest balance rate. That may take care of all my symptoms since they are all interconnected by the balance rate in the computer. Or at worse case I would expect no more than 3 need changed based on the rates.
Dealer cost to replace the injectors is probably $4K, but you can do them yourself if you are not mechanicaly challenged.
LB7 injectors require significant motor tear down to change, the labor is the expensive part on them. Dealer cost around $6k

I run an Edge Juice on mine, have for the last 60K mi or so. Quite pleased with it and their service. I just upgraded from my 2005 model edge to the newest Edge juice with attitude CS. They gave me 40% off the new one for a trade in. There have been lots of improvements since 2005, very smooth, good trans control, display works well, and has pretty much everything I was looking for. The 2005 model was nice, but the new model blows it away.

The T-case rub is another issue, but there are many that go 200K+ without any issue. And it doesn't matter what chevy you go with, it's a common problem with that T-case. 162K and no problems here yet.

I paid $179 for timken wheel bearings, bout $150 for the water pump, under $20 for the fuel line, $107 for TPS, $90 for WIF, $40 for injector wire plugs, $300 injector.
I think any Diesel is expensive for parts, I don't think the Duramax is much different, and fairly typical for an 8cyl diesel. Like anything shop around, the dealer prices are out of control, but there are plenty of people selling the same parts much cheaper.

Sloth_Fratelli
04-29-2013, 10:10 PM
FREd, you ain't gonna buy shit. Stop wasting our time lol.

This one is me making a big kid decision Steve its gonna happen lol. I'm starting a new job soon where I'll be doing a lot of driving/towing and I need a truck I can depend on. The 93 isn't the most reliable or practical for long range driving at 8 mpg.

And thanks for all the advice, I'm still gonna do more research but it helps a lot. From what I've seen my price range is about 04-07 year wise and I think I'm gonna look for an 06-07.

Oros was that you that bought a manual dmax a few months ago? I have towed with an Allison and I know how smooth it is and it's a great transmission and no loss of turbo and blah blah blah but I just really hate driving anything auto, do you know anywhere theres one in a stick for sale?

oros35
04-30-2013, 05:55 PM
I've had mine for 5 years now. I drove a manual duramax before I bought mine and didn't like it. And I prefer a manual. The allison is the way to go. Good for about +90hp and for around $3-4K you can get a built one that you won't break.