PDA

View Full Version : 400ex rear caliper bleeding off?

HeepH8erTy
06-16-2013, 10:49 AM
So I've been trying to get my rear brakes back in order on my quad and its been driving me nuts. First I bent the rotor my first day out at Powerline Mem day weekend. That pretty much caused the pads to completely wear out. So I put on a new rotor and pads. Still no brakes.

I was getting fluid from my bleeder, but there was no pressure coming out. So I figured the master cylinder wasn't holding pressure, so I got a rebuild kit for it. Put it all back together,bled the brakes (didn't bench bleed the master cylinder? do I need to? is there a way to?), had some pedal, was getting pressure at the bleeder, thought it was great. I drove it out of my garage... no phuckin pedal!

Here's where I am now. I can bleed it and get a little bit of pedal. When I hold the pedal down, it will fade off. I could see a little fluid coming out of the boot in the parking brake. So I took it off, and could see fluid is coming out from inside of there. My guess now is that there is a seal in the caliper that is blown out, allowing fluid to come out there and not holding pressure to push the piston out. Does this sound right? Or is there some sort of relief in the caliper for in case your piston is seized? Or did I miss something else along the way? I just figured I would ask before I go ordering more stuff that I may not need lol

YZEATER
06-19-2013, 11:24 PM
Time for a rebuild kit if you can find one or another caliper. There should not be fluid there.

HeepH8erTy
06-20-2013, 07:12 AM
From what I was reading, I think I just need a block off plate to get rid of the e-brake and I should be all good. Its not leaking where the parking brake mates to the caliper, its leaking thru the parking brake. So I figure if I block it off right at the caliper, everything will be sealed and work good...I HOPE! I've been playing with it a little bit every day trying to jerry-rig something up to make it work... but I'm just going to go with the block off plate as soon as I get around to ordering some stuff

YZEATER
06-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Yes get the block off plate and throw the parking brake away.

It is not supposed to be leaking, that is your problem and the block off plate is not the fix for that.

HeepH8erTy
06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
When I took the parking brake off, I could see that it is leaking along the line that the red arrow is touching, right in that spot. You're saying that fluid isn't suppose to be coming through there? And even if not, the spot of the leak will be inside of the sealed area from the block off plate... so it should be good...right?

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q220/hardbodyty/Capture-2_zps589094ca.jpg

YZEATER
06-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Maybe 3rd times a charm.no fluid should be there.

koenig
06-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Yzeater is right. Putting a block off on that caliper is not going to fix your problem. That caliper needs rebuilt. blow out the piston with your air gun. Clean and buff everything up and throw some new seals in there. Or get a new caliper. I've chased problems like this before. It always comes down to rebuild or replace. Save yourself some trouble now instead of putting a bandaid on it.

HeepH8erTy
06-24-2013, 07:21 AM
Alright, I'll rebuild the damn thing, hopefully that works. I've gotten use to not riding with my foot on the rear brake now and its not good... rode the dirtbike yesterday and flipped her over a couple times cause my foot wasnt close enough to the rear brake to slam it on lol so yea, gotta get this straightened out