PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Caddy STS

Super Scout
06-25-2013, 05:25 PM
My parents are looking at a 2006 STS, 3.6 with the AWD. They currently have a 2000 STS with about 140,000 miles and love it. I don't know anything about the newer ones, I read online and reviews seem to be pretty decent. I wasn't sure if anyone on here would have any opinions on the reliability of this car. I have heard the 3.6 Liters like to stretch timing chains. What about the AWD is that a fairly maintenance free system. Any opinions would be appreciated.
This is the car in question:
http://www.bushautosales.net/2006_Cadillac_Cadillac_193529021.veh

dan58
06-25-2013, 09:14 PM
The biggest issues you'll see on the driveline are the couplers/guibo joint/rag joint. Whatever you'd like to call them. I'm pretty sure I have them for an 06. I'd have to check at work. They also can develop a clunk when you put it in gear. That's a bushing on the rear diff. Cheap part, but it's a PITA repair. HTH

Super Scout
06-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Parents don't do the internet so I was just doing some research for them. Every review I have read has been good, so apparently they where pretty decent cars.

DMG
06-25-2013, 10:15 PM
See if it had the pinion yoke recalls. If it hasnt had a timing chain it may need them. There are 3 and it is a big job.

Keep an eye on the oil level, they burn oil. They also go through wheel bearings. A pretty solid car in general.

The_War_Wagon
06-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Seems tough enough... :paranoid:

http://image.motortrend.com/f/features/consumer/8515155+w623+h388+cr1+ar0/112_0305%2bMatrix_Reloaded_Cadillac_Cadillac_CTS%2 bPassenger_Side_View.jpg

Super Scout
06-26-2013, 08:06 AM
Dave, whats the story with the 3.6s timing chain. Do they all go bad that early, are there any signs to look for. Seems like everyone is having issues with the damn thing, and GM blamed it on oil change intervals, is it just no a good engine ?

DMG
06-26-2013, 09:17 AM
Dave, whats the story with the 3.6s timing chain. Do they all go bad that early, are there any signs to look for. Seems like everyone is having issues with the damn thing, and GM blamed it on oil change intervals, is it just no a good engine ?

IIRC, they burn oil and can be just about empty by the time the oil life monitor says to change the oil. The chains do seem to stretch more if the oil changes are infrequent but we were still doing them on cars with 10,000 miles on them that had already received 1 oil change. I think they just underbuilt the chains and tensioners and did not give the cam sensor/pcm programming enough leeway to correct for the stretch in 3 separate chains. I never saw the chains break or jump time. It was usually a code for cam sensors that indicated the repairs were needed.
Caddy customers are typically lazy about their cars or fanatical about them. They are usually old people who think since it is a Cadillac it should change its own oil and air up its own tires and be as reliable as a Lexus. Or a retired engineer from J&L with a maintenance spread sheet that wants an oil sample from every change.

Hopefully the chains were done. A caddy dealer should be able to tell you. The pinion yoke recall should definitely be done by now if the car was the right year/vin range.