PDA

View Full Version : need new mechanic -- greensburg area

dontlookdown
09-02-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm looking for a good mechanic in Greensburg, Had some bad expierences with a couple people and havn't found anyone good since RPM's in Youngwood closed down.

Right now i Just need state and emissions done on my wrangler, and want someone who wont be a dick about my tires being like an inch out past the flares, but also would be someone knowlegeable for future work if i have any major problems that I cant fix.

Super Scout
09-02-2013, 09:45 PM
I dont know anyone in Greensburg but the Benz Tech in Latrobe has always been fair with me. He will inspect it but wont knick pick every little thing. I check out my own vehicles, and he has never failed one. 724-532-0183

anodyne33
09-03-2013, 12:17 PM
I can't say enough good stuff about Ed Hutter in Pleasant Unity.

DMG
09-14-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm looking for a good mechanic in Greensburg, Had some bad expierences with a couple people and havn't found anyone good since RPM's in Youngwood closed down.

Right now i Just need state and emissions done on my wrangler, and want someone who wont be a dick about my tires being like an inch out past the flares, but also would be someone knowlegeable for future work if i have any major problems that I cant fix.

Just a FYI for you. Someone is not being a dick for failing you for illegal tires. Posting on a forum that you want someone to pass your vehicle that should fail makes you a dick.

joe_and_jeep
09-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Just a FYI for you. Someone is not being a dick for failing you for illegal tires. Posting on a forum that you want someone to pass your vehicle that should fail makes you a dick.

Grabbing popcorn... we haven't had an inspection thread in awhile.

97V10MN
09-14-2013, 02:02 PM
This could be good but will it be as good as the Franks mirical goop or the 4 inch exhaust on a ranger thread? Let's hope so ��

DMG
09-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Grabbing popcorn... we haven't had an inspection thread in awhile.

There shouldn't be much of a thread. You don't ask people to pass your illegal truck on a public forum and people don't post up about getting their illegal stuff inspected.

Super Scout
09-14-2013, 05:09 PM
Good point Dave, my cars are legit. The Benz Tech guy I posted is fair and honest, but if it wont pass, he won't pass it.

joe_and_jeep
09-14-2013, 10:22 PM
So he should of worded it differently? Like the secret code "Jeep Friendly"? Maybe he's a covert, trying to bust Jeep guys... you know what? I'm not in the mood to dick around tonight. I'm kinda tired, no one in their right mind would pass a perfect stranger's questionable rig that asked on a public forum. Kinda like a craigslist hitman.

dontlookdown
09-15-2013, 08:19 PM
yeah, i should have worded it differently, maybe even not bringing up the tires.

reason for my question of looking for a good mechanic was simple. I took my jeep to a mechanic for an issue, I was never there before, and he seemed like a decent guy, the problem with the jeep was that after warming up, it would loose and regain power real fast, seemed like a misfire, I tried everything I could (plugs, ect). so this guys blames my oil drive pump and says the gear between the camshaft and the pump was warn out, and that my problem was that it was not pumping oil to the top of my engine at times, hence the misfire.

I belived it. He had the jeep at his shop for a month. I made a payment when it went in, and another when it came out. it cost me $600 out of pocket and he billed the warranty company over $1000. The very next day IT HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AS WHAT IT WENT IN WITH.

So then I leave the jeep at hillview and $200 more dollars later i have a new crank sensor, a part that this other mechanic said was fine.

Anyways, yes, my tires stick out past my fender flares 1 inch and they did not pass inspection because if this.

I still dont see how my origional post percives me as a dick for simply asking the question. Obvously I want the vehcle to legally pass, but I didn't want a mechanic to fail something just because he is looking for work or play freaking guessing games trying to troubleshoot my problems when they arise.

DMG
09-15-2013, 09:29 PM
I just didn't like to see you call a guy a dick for doing his job (inspection) in a way that keeps him out of trouble. And asking people on a forum about something illegal is a risky thing. That sucks about the faulty diagnosis. At my shop we eat the cost if we F up and diag the wrong part.

yeah, i should have worded it differently, maybe even not bringing up the tires.

reason for my question of looking for a good mechanic was simple. I took my jeep to a mechanic for an issue, I was never there before, and he seemed like a decent guy, the problem with the jeep was that after warming up, it would loose and regain power real fast, seemed like a misfire, I tried everything I could (plugs, ect). so this guys blames my oil drive pump and says the gear between the camshaft and the pump was warn out, and that my problem was that it was not pumping oil to the top of my engine at times, hence the misfire.

I belived it. He had the jeep at his shop for a month. I made a payment when it went in, and another when it came out. it cost me $600 out of pocket and he billed the warranty company over $1000. The very next day IT HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM AS WHAT IT WENT IN WITH.

So then I leave the jeep at hillview and $200 more dollars later i have a new crank sensor, a part that this other mechanic said was fine.

Anyways, yes, my tires stick out past my fender flares 1 inch and they did not pass inspection because if this.

I still dont see how my origional post percives me as a dick for simply asking the question. Obvously I want the vehcle to legally pass, but I didn't want a mechanic to fail something just because he is looking for work or play freaking guessing games trying to troubleshoot my problems when they arise.

JeepGeneral
09-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Get some flares so you're legal and problem solved! There aren't many techs out there willing to put their name on something that doesn't pass. You're asking for someone to put their job on the line so you can save a few bucks. Do it right and it's not an issue!

dontlookdown
09-15-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm looking for a good mechanic in Greensburg... ...but also would be someone knowlegeable for future work if i have any major problems that I cant fix.

did everyone skip over these parts of my question and go right to the part where I say "wont be a dick"?

I'm just looking for a good mechanic in greensburg.

JeepGeneral
09-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Sounds to me like hillview fixed your problem on the first shot for a reasonable cost. From my perspective you already found one but you don't consider them "good" because they won't bend the rules for you.

DMG
09-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Sounds to me like hillview fixed your problem on the first shot for a reasonable cost. From my perspective you already found one but you don't consider them "good" because they won't bend the rules for you.

X2. Borrow some narrower tires/wheels for inspection instead of trying to get someone to pass them.

dontlookdown
09-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Hillview never failed it, It was a big box retail chain that failed them. I know that Hillview Motors is good, however their labor rate is $100 an hour. I wanted to find a decent, local, knowelgeable mechanic that would be good to deal with for future buisness.

The intent of this post was never to sound like "hey, who'se gonna pass my jeep for me, sight unseen"

I did get it to pass with my stock tires, and I am ordering the proper size flares when I decided if I want to keep the factory look or go with the flat Xenon Flares.

Grimwall
09-16-2013, 10:09 AM
You know of course the > 3 inch fender flares are also technically illegal in PA…
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterE.pdf
(e) Fender Flares - A vehicle may be equipped with fender flares not to exceed 3 inches.

So If your mechanic really wanted to be a dick, All Jeeps Fail in PA regardless of tire size. As the factory fender flare (on a TJ at least) is 3.5 inches.

2002wranglerX
09-16-2013, 10:34 AM
that's why you just do wider FENDERS. ie, no flare.

Grimwall
09-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Continued from http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ubchapterE.pdf (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterE.pdf)

(6) Check fenders, hood and trunk lid and REJECT IF one or more of the following apply:
(…)
(ii) The fenders are not of a type and size used as original equipment.

All Jeeps Fail in PA regardless of modification.

gonecheenin
09-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Continued from http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ubchapterE.pdf (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterE.pdf)

(6) Check fenders, hood and trunk lid and REJECT IF one or more of the following apply:
(…)
(ii) The fenders are not of a type and size used as original equipment.

All Jeeps Fail in PA regardless of modification.

Arguable. Who's to say their not of a type & size as used by the OEM? If they fit on the Jeep then they must be, elsewise they'd fit a Duece & 1/2.

joshs1ofakindxj
09-26-2013, 08:31 AM
Ha, oh man, you guys still get vehicles inspected? Suckers!