PDA

View Full Version : Any Ford 460 know-it-all's out there??

stranger ranger
09-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Went and looked at an 88 F250 last night that I'd like to have for a beater, parts runner, junk hauler, etc. Body is in damn near perfect shape for the age and being an old farm truck, Automatic (C-6), Fuel injected 460 BB and 92k and change on the odometer. Only issue is that it has a knock at idle, which after the truck warms up it goes away 90%. The knock is also non-existent at any RPM over idle, but when you let off and it idles back down you can hear it. Sounds like a bolt rattling around. I crawled underneath and put my hand on the oil pan and i could feel it through there but not so much when touching the bell housing. I've read it could be the flex plate cracked but I did a quick look through the inspection cover and nothing was noticeably visible. Also read it may be the harmonic balancer but damn it i forgot to look at it. Its not valve train noise and not an exhaust leak, I know those two very well. What beats me is that it goes away above idle and quiets up after it gets warm..... If it were a rod bearing, wrist pin wouldn't it be louder as the oil got warmer and thinned out?

Any suggestions?

DMG
09-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Piston slap? Cam chain?

highlandercj-7
09-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Ask the question on BLWA. John aka fordtrucknut is a Ford Guru on there.

Seismik
09-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Ask the question on BLWA. John aka fordtrucknut is a Ford Guru on there.

x2