PDA

View Full Version : Looking at another XJ.. sell mine as is or scavenge?

Azzy
10-21-2013, 05:12 PM
Going to look at a local 99 XJ this week, the owner is willing to work with me on price. 199K, inspected, little bit of rust on the roof. Havent gotten under it to see if the bottom is clean or not. If I did get it, some of the panels, like the nicer fenders, would be going on my wife's 01, which has rust bubbling up from under, and I would be chopping for bumpers anyhow.

Now here's the dilemma... Should I pull bits from my 96, the rear 8.25 with discs, brand new timken hubs, rotors, and ujoints on the front axle, while I pull the lift? I would be selling the 96 eventually, and swapping the lift out from it to the 99.

The96 has had a bit of engine work done too, all new sensors, new water pump, new timing chain, etc.

Would it be worth it to refresh the 99 with stuff off the 96? I like the new interiors much better. And if this one has a clean floor, that would be much preferred to mine which needs patched better and redone in the back. I plan on dropping in a SYE eventually, as well as frame stiffiners and chassis coating the bottom with chassisaver. Or just sell it as it is and lift the other, toss my bumpers on it (JCR recovery bumpers front and rear) and call it a day?

It shure would be strange having two XJs the same color though...

ridgerunner97
10-21-2013, 06:22 PM
I'd scavenge it. Thats the plan for my XJ, I've built it so that only a few components will have to go to the crusher with it and even those if I chose to put the effort in can be cut off with the torches.

Azzy
10-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Perhaps i can sell the block and trans to recoup a bit, and part out the rest. Only thing really rare and valuable in that XJ is the factory clock!

Azzy
10-25-2013, 07:43 PM
I got a standing offer for a 98 classic of $400. Guy says its mine for that. It has no rockers, missing 2 windows 9for multiple years) needs a floor. Im thinking I could part out interior parts (electrics, door panels, airbags) and use the tires and still come out ahead of the game.

Plus it has a running motor, with about 200K on it. Is it worth parting out and scraping the rest? I would grab a few interior parts and the front clip for my XJ. (We thought about swapping out the full interior and dash, but thats a PITA)