PDA

View Full Version : headlight dim

muddeprived
10-31-2013, 08:53 AM
My 01 xj's passenger headlight dimmed a couple months ago. I thought it was the bulb itself so I replaced both and it's still dim. Looks like it's only getting like 50% power to the bulb. Anything I can check?

Thanks

2002wranglerX
10-31-2013, 09:56 AM
You need a harness. It's pretty common and inexpensive.

muddeprived
10-31-2013, 10:11 PM
You need a harness. It's pretty common and inexpensive.

Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Premium-Automotive-Lighting/dp/B001P29X4G/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Azzy
10-31-2013, 11:58 PM
Ive got one of those to put in my wife's XJ, and another one which was generic for trucks that is in mine. The chinese ones all tend to have really crummy relays. The putco I believe uses the same relays as honda cars.

I ended up taking mine and soldering ends, and putting in good bosche relays. the first one I had rusted and left my high beams on, and then the other burned out one night in south park... 12 at night, no street lights. Not fun.

Your next step is a set of Autopal euro spec H4 housings. Cheap bulbs, great housings. love mine... great pattern, cutoff for oncoming drivers, and I can carry 2 spare bulbs in my glove compartment.

Azzy
11-01-2013, 12:04 AM
There is a guy on Jeepfoum and Naxja that makes his own, 10 gauge wire, good harnesses, does battery cables as well. cant find his info at the moment, but his work comes recommended.

muddeprived
11-01-2013, 12:35 AM
If I were to install the harness right now, would it fix my dimming issue or do I need to fix the issue before installing the wiring harness?

I wasn't able to find a name to this person on the forums either but I'm still looking.

97V10MN
11-01-2013, 03:46 AM
I believe it should fix your dimming issue by using the harness, we made a setup for my dodge truck using two relays and wires, you'll be pulling battery power straight through to the headlights instead of through the head light switch as it does stock, all you should have to do is use the factory headlight wiring to do is to signal the relays to kick on, you get much brighter headlights, at least I did with my truck, just make sure to used good solid connectors and die electric grease the relays, i also carry a spare relay as I had one go bad on me but my truck sets for a while while I'm at work and I believe it was a cheap relay anyway

2002wranglerX
11-01-2013, 05:19 AM
It'll fix the issue. However it may mess up factory fog lights. On my xj it wouldn't let me run my fogs through the factory switch after installing the harness.

muddeprived
11-01-2013, 05:24 AM
It'll fix the issue. However it may mess up factory fog lights. On my xj it wouldn't let me run my fogs through the factory switch after installing the harness.

No fogs here but yeah I read about the fog light issue. There's a fix for it I think.

highlandercj-7
11-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Check that is has a good ground, (that is the most common problem), Check for corrosion in the headlight plug. My CJ had the same issue a couple months ago. You can also buy a new headlight plug for less than 5.00 at NAPA that will splice in and replace it if it's too funked up. My plug was jacked and that's the route I had to take.

http://www.rockauto.com/getimage/getimage.php?imagekey=50185&imageurl=http%3A//www.rockauto.com/info/SMP/S526_PRIMARY.jpg

XJchris98
11-01-2013, 08:55 AM
I believe this is the guy your looking for: http://www.kelleyswip.com/

muddeprived
11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the link. I ended up ordering the putco harness. I will upgrade the lamps when the new ones die off.

Azzy
11-04-2013, 08:56 AM
I believe this is the guy your looking for: http://www.kelleyswip.com/

Thats it, thanks!

muddeprived
11-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Can someone help me figure out what's going on with my setup?

To start off, my passenger light was dimmed pretty bad but the driver's side was fine. I installed the harness like everyone else did (read a bunch of threads on the install, too easy) but when I turn on my lights, they don't turn on. Turn signals work. I got 12 volts going in and coming out of the relays BUT no power at the putco bulb plugs. My factory bulb plugs look corroded a bit but I still can read 12 volts from them. Both putco plugs are grounded (driver's side to the small bolt behind the turn signal housing and passenger side to the radiator support bolt. Paint removed). I'm running 20a fuses if that matters and all wire connectors checked out tight. I'm puzzled on how the wires coming out of the relay registers 12v but the same wires at the bulbs register nothing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

link to someone else's install:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/putco-headlight-wire-harness-install-164659/

hyperbuzzin
11-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Seems like a simple install and is quite a strange problem you seem to be having.
Did you check the wire itself coming out of the plugs attached to the relays or the terminal of the relays themselves?
My guess would be a bad connection to the relays at the plugs or bad wires.

muddeprived
11-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Seems like a simple install and is quite a strange problem you seem to be having.
Did you check the wire itself coming out of the plugs attached to the relays or the terminal of the relays themselves?
My guess would be a bad connection to the relays at the plugs or bad wires.

I put the tester point on the wire fitting that's plugged into the relay (not on the relay terminal but about 2 cm above it) and it had power but nothing out of the other end (bulb plug). Same problem for both relays and both bulb plugs. Before i installed it, i checked every single wire and plug on the harness to be sure nothing would come loose later on and everything was like it should be, nice and tight.

muddeprived
11-18-2013, 06:28 AM
I think I figured it out.

I was out there recently checking things and decided to cut off and replace the oem 3 pin connector. Advance has a replacement set of plugs WITH a rubber boot to keep em from corroding. Nice i guess. After I cut off the connector, i inspected it closely and could see it was corroded a bit BUT there was a break in the negative wire. Strange because the break happened right before the crimp part of the female pin, where it does not bend or anything. It's like someone cut it lol. But anyways, that was probably what was causing my pass. light to barely work and not allow the putco hardness to function correctly. We'll see what happens once I replace the plug.