PDA

View Full Version : TJ gas cap replacement

hyperbuzzin
11-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I tried searching, but "TJ gas cap" isn't searchable (too short of words)
Any who... I have a locking gas cap which is starting to be a pain to remove. Typical trouble.... keeps spinning when trying to take it off.
I've heard some aftermarket ones don't work very well. Anyone have a suggestion as to a good replacement?

muddeprived
11-06-2013, 09:39 PM
OEM

I went with locking on both xj and TJ and both caps gave me a hard time. The xj cap would not spin off and I had to pry it off, breaking it in the process. They are junk, especially the cheap ones from amazon, autozone, etc. Sucks when they break at a time you really need gas.

I now run the stock caps.

I hear the locking DOOR gas cap is a better route to take. They are the ones that replace the whole gas cap and surround with an actual door that locks. I think Q-tec and 4wd carry a few.

hyperbuzzin
11-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Mine was a stock locking one. Guess after 9 years of use that's not too bad?

Did you use an OEM non locking one?

I have the door for the filler opening already on, but not the locking one. May make it lock though. Shouldn't be too difficult.

muddeprived
11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Mine was a stock locking one. Guess after 9 years of use that's not too bad?

Did you use an OEM non locking one?

I have the door for the filler opening already on, but not the locking one. May make it lock though. Shouldn't be too difficult.

Nine years is good! Mine hardly lasted a few weeks LOL.

I didn't know Jeep had oem locking gas caps. I use my OEM cap that came with the jeep.