PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Parking Brake

Super Scout
11-13-2013, 03:06 PM
I have no parking brake on the Scout, and being that its a manual, it makes a huge pain in the ass. Everything from the factory one is still there, but the cables are seized, bad. I could probably re use them if I soaked them in kerosene for about 73 years, but they are in rough shape. Also the roll cage is in the way of the pedal, and release. I could move them over but with the clutch and all that jazz I feel like I will run out of room. So I started looking, without much luck for a universal hand type parking brake I could rig up. Anyone have any suggestions ? I wanted a Hand controlled brake, because I think it would be easier to install, and engage.
Also, I thought about installing a line lock, this would be the easiest, the lines are all new so worrying about one rusting, or breaking isn't a concern. What I didnt know is if line locks bleed off over time or if they would hold indefinitely. Any thoughts ?

joshs1ofakindxj
11-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I think I have an extra hand lever from a cherokee. I would do that and use some Ford exploder cables or something.

Bax
11-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Have you looked into T-case parking brakes? I'm not sure if you could modify parts from a Toyota. I know trail gear and all pro make them.

MemorEsto
11-13-2013, 04:45 PM
I saw a guy at Creek Falls just cut a hole in his floor so he could shove a pipe through the drive shaft u joint...

2002wranglerX
11-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Have you looked into T-case parking brakes? I'm not sure if you could modify parts from a Toyota. I know trail gear and all pro make them.

I've seen that too but I think the kit is like 600 bucks

I saw a guy at Creek Falls just cut a hole in his floor so he could shove a pipe through the drive shaft u joint...

dude that's pretty bad

tjblair
11-13-2013, 05:18 PM
line lock would be easyist and prolly cheapest option.

Bax
11-13-2013, 05:22 PM
All pro's kit is $250 and you can buy the caliper and rotor for $130

2002wranglerX
11-13-2013, 05:44 PM
line lock would be easyist and prolly cheapest option.

I thought linelock wasn't recommended for parking brakes since it can bleed off

Super Scout
11-13-2013, 06:33 PM
I wasn't sure about line lock, I may try to rig something up using junk yard parts.
I get my Scout is rough, but hole in the floor and a pipe is a bit much even for me lol....

Sloth_Fratelli
11-13-2013, 07:14 PM
theres no way in hell id trust my rig to a $2 line lock. as far as i see it thatd just be a weak point in the brake line.

go to the junkyard and find a lever you can mount universally, measure the length of cable you need and try to find something that uses that length. idk how a scout is set up but from what ive seen most everything from the mid-80s up has the same connection fitting on either ends of the brake cables and uses the same clips on the rubber part that doesnt move.

id imagine an early 90's exploder setup would be ideal but dont quote me on that

Wrecker
11-13-2013, 08:06 PM
What about an ebrake from a car that is on center hump

PatF10
11-14-2013, 08:38 AM
you need one of those levers from a forklift, heavy equipment brake. something along these lines. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Clark-Forklift-Parking-Brake-Lever-PN-1618257-/220750835251

oros35
11-14-2013, 10:07 AM
I have a line lock on mine, never had it bleed off. Although it did kill my battery when I left it on for close to a week and didn't know it. I don't think it would hold once the battery is drained.

But for short term it works outstanding, I have it on the front wheels. I have a functional ebrake, but don't trust it as far as I can throw it, just doesn't have enough power. The line lock is 1000 times more reliable than my undersized explorer ebrake.

Can't say anything for the mechanical line locks, but my $40 electric one works just fine.

XJchris98
11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
I have a line lock on mine, never had it bleed off. Although it did kill my battery when I left it on for close to a week and didn't know it. I don't think it would hold once the battery is drained.

But for short term it works outstanding, I have it on the front wheels. I have a functional ebrake, but don't trust it as far as I can throw it, just doesn't have enough power. The line lock is 1000 times more reliable than my undersized explorer ebrake.

Can't say anything for the mechanical line locks, but my $40 electric one works just fine.

Do you remember what brand you have? I've read mixed reviews on different brands (B&M, Hurst, Summit, etc.), some say they hold up OK to long duration holds, others say the solenoid's heat up and fail.

Another option would be the MICO lever lock. These are the parking brakes commonly found in tow trucks/flatbeds and is supposedly one of the best on the market. If I remember right, its fairly expensive....but if you want something that's sure to hold up, this would be it.
http://www.circletracksupply.com/images/P/eComLeverLock%20(1).jpg

DMG
11-14-2013, 11:26 AM
A line lock is not a parking brake. I would adapt a brake lever from a piece of equipment/school bus etc to new cables.

Super Scout
11-14-2013, 12:14 PM
A line lock is not a parking brake. I would adapt a brake lever from a piece of equipment/school bus etc to new cables.

Thats what I am going to try to do. Being drum brakes in the rear, they will hold strong once I get everything adjusted..... I hope.

HeepH8erTy
11-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Wes runs a line lock on his yota for a parking brake, his is mechanical and I know his has never bled off...and he's parked it up some stupid stuff and let it sit there to test that. But I do get the whole "mechanical linkage" thing... thats always going to be more reliable.

and not gonna lie...getting it moving then locking up 4 big mud tires on an assfault lot sounds and looks pretty cool/funny... if you're into that kind of thing

DMFH
11-14-2013, 02:25 PM
line lock would be the way I went, they dont bleed off and if lines are fine no worries for a blow out, standard ebrake set up is fine but with offroading to much crap to corrode cables and all the little parts

oros35
11-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Do you remember what brand you have? I've read mixed reviews on different brands (B&M, Hurst, Summit, etc.), some say they hold up OK to long duration holds, others say the solenoid's heat up and fail.

Biondo Racing I believe is the brand. Been using it about 7 years now and it's worked perfrectly every time. I use it often too.

DMG
11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
A line lock relies on the seals in your wheel cylinders which are not designed to hold high pressure indefinitely. They will fail. Not sure if it matters here but they are not legal for inspection, either.

DMFH
11-14-2013, 08:29 PM
could see the wheel cylinders failing at a point but id do it on the front only n calipers would be ok. n how is a line lock not legal for inspection? because I have an inspection license and only recall stating that the vehicle must have a functioning parking brake and no designation on what type. did get my license in 95 so has something changed I didnt hear about

Sycotik Skier
11-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Has to be a mechanical linkage

DMFH
11-14-2013, 11:48 PM
states that directly?

pittim
11-15-2013, 12:26 AM
Steve if it's just for something to hold your truck in place for a short time while the group is stopped and you don't feel like turning your truck off when you're wheeling I don't see how either line lock (mech or elec) could be "negative." Seems like the only bad things being said about them are whenever it's engaged for a prolong period of time, which it probably wont be, so go with whichever is easier.

DMG
11-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Steve if it's just for something to hold your truck in place for a short time while the group is stopped and you don't feel like turning your truck off when you're wheeling I don't see how either line lock (mech or elec) could be "negative." Seems like the only bad things being said about them are whenever it's engaged for a prolong period of time, which it probably wont be, so go with whichever is easier.

Exactly. For holding the truck in place on a trail for 10 minutes, it will be as good as your service brake system. But leaving 1k psi on your brake hydraulics for days will not work well. Also, some of the electric line locks will kill your battery.

KUGS
11-15-2013, 10:36 PM
I just talked about this the other day witha guy for his dump truck. He doesnt trust the parking brake when he has to get out and open the tail gate and wants me to install one of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hydraulic-brake-lock-hydraulic-park-lock-line-lock-hot-rod-rat-rod-dune-buggy-/171121828696?hash=item27d7a7e358&vxp=mtr#ht_638wt_745

Wbertoty
11-16-2013, 04:07 PM
It must opperate separately from the service brake system, that is why a line lock is not passable for inspection.

DMG
11-17-2013, 12:33 PM
Steve, I have a complete driveshaft flange mounted disc parking brake set-up from an electric baggage cart we scrapped a while back. It has cables and the right kind of handle, too. I will see if I can find it. It was going on my 4runner but I have a line lock for that and it is an auto trans now so I can live without it.

Super Scout
11-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Steve, I have a complete driveshaft flange mounted disc parking brake set-up from an electric baggage cart we scrapped a while back. It has cables and the right kind of handle, too. I will see if I can find it. It was going on my 4runner but I have a line lock for that and it is an auto trans now so I can live without it.

That would be sweet, let me know. Thanks