PDA

View Full Version : WJ fenders and pinch seams 'improvement'

J.M.
02-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Sooo...

I want to open up my wheel wells for larger tires as soon as temperatures start to rise.

Any advise on tools, materials, procedures and techniques?

So far, i figured i would need: angle grinder, hammer, pliers, seam sealer, primer, paint.

Plan of attack: Make cuts in between the spot welds (if there are any), bend, cover with seam sealer, prep and paint fender where paint chipped.

Any advise is appreciated.

J.M.

wj lizard
02-11-2014, 04:56 PM
I just ordered w-max fender flares online( I lie my wife did for me) from notch customs they bought the molds off of Iceland offroad from what I understand go on their site and bring up installation instructions it should answer any questions you may have ...I don't think there is much to it but there also ain't much to cut out either....I got a 4" iron lift and my33x12.5's rub the pinch weld at the bottom of the fender so I hope the cut out flares will solve this(I also have4.5" of back spacing on my rims) hope this helps

OverkillZJ
02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
I was just surfing around and found this, might help: http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/body-chassis/1403-jeep-grand-cherokee-fender-trimming-done-right/photo-gallery/

I've never trimmed WJ fender wells, only ZJ. And I let them leak, haha.

OverkillZJ
02-11-2014, 07:37 PM
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/body-chassis/1403-jeep-grand-cherokee-fender-trimming-done-right/

wj lizard
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Not to step on his thread but thanks that's gonna help me out too.there's not much forgiveness in the rear of the wj either so you may need a welder for any oopses

J.M.
02-12-2014, 11:23 AM
I just ordered w-max fender flares online( I lie my wife did for me) from notch customs they bought the molds off of Iceland offroad from what I understand go on their site and bring up installation instructions it should answer any questions you may have ...I don't think there is much to it but there also ain't much to cut out either....I got a 4" iron lift and my33x12.5's rub the pinch weld at the bottom of the fender so I hope the cut out flares will solve this(I also have4.5" of back spacing on my rims) hope this helps
Do you run 15" or 17" wheels? You also still owe me pics from your rig (dating back to your other thread) :nod:

The four-wheeler page goes all out, and cuts away all the excess sheet metal. They sure need a welder. I rather bend everything out of the way.

wj lizard
02-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Sorry about the pics I don't know how to post pics directly to the thread on here I have another build thread on cherokeetalk.com.....lizards wj build....with pics.my phone is a pita trying to do things online and I'm not so good either....fender flares should be here in a week but still need cash for steel for rockers I want to do them all at once so I don't screw up the flares welding and to take some more measurements so they don't interfere with each other....my rims I believe are 16 inch they were on my 07' JK before I killed it