PDA

View Full Version : dodge trans issues?

jeeeeper41
02-23-2014, 10:50 PM
hi guys,
I got a issue w/ my cummins. it's a 04 it has a 48re w/ 202k. runs great, it's my dd. I noticed lately that at times when u come to a stop or close to a stop, that when u pull out that it seems like it's in 2nd or 3rd gear. Cause it moves very slow and the only way to correct it is to stop and kill it. then restart it's mostly ok. I was told it was one of the shift solenoids. Don't know which one. My latest issue seems trans related to me, but when I climb hills it seems to raise the temp and also seems to be stuck in a gear were it don't shift out. There is a code but I haven't checked it yet. And yes the trans has had a fluid, filter changed last year. It is not burnt (fluid). No leaks. No overheat or boiling over. plenty of coolant. fan seems to be ok. I haven't pressure tested rad yet. I don't see or smell fluid. I know that these 48 re's aren't the greatest, but having 202k w/ no rebuild yet, is pretty good so far. I asked the guy at Balsley's and he said maybe a shift solenoid. The engine seems to be ok to. I checked oil for coolant seems fine no coolant smell. I hope someone can give a clue. Thanx.

justin'sbig7
02-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Find a good transmission shop who will diagnose the problem instead of tossing a trans at it. Jeff's transmissions on rt.8 in gibsonia is really good and has always given me the straight scoop on what it needs.

That said however, at 202k and the symptoms you're describing... Is it worth spending money on parts and labor If it pukes soon anyway? Just a thought as you said they're not known for reliability and you have gotten a TON of use out of it, I gotta say I am impressed.

jeeeeper41
02-25-2014, 10:37 AM
yeah it's been great to me. I went to a trans shop in youngwood just to ask and it has a code about low pressure, and the guy said it could be the governor thing causing all my issues. I have to make a appointment for it soon.

ZJ_5.2LIMITED
02-26-2014, 12:50 AM
The 48 was supposed to be a decent trans. Its really strong. Does it respond to you manually shifting the truck? Like when you pull out and it feels like its in 2nd, what happens when you pull it down to 1st?