PDA

View Full Version : Best way to deal with shop?

muddeprived
03-20-2014, 02:20 AM
Long story short, the xj was in the shop for inspection two months ago and I finally got around to swapping out the ball joints which were completely shot. It took me an hour to get the front lug nuts off and I broke a 3/4" HD racheting wrench (Napa brand, 12 years old), a 19mm socket, a 3" extension, and bent my factory TJ lut nut wrench when I had to use the hi-lift handle with it just to crack em loose. Not to mention the caps of a few of my new factory oem lug nuts broke off during the struggle. My 240 ft lb impact gun failed miserably and didn't get em off either. I don't know if there was any damage to my wheels since they are factory alloy wheels but I sure hope not.

I was going to rotate my tires but didn't even both with trying to get off the rear nuts cuz I ran out of useful tools. :( I'm pretty sure brake inspection is part of a vehicle inspection and the shop must've cranked down my lug nuts with a powerful impact gun. It's the first time they did anything wrong to any of my vehicles so I still love em but I don't know how to approach them about this. I'm gonna ask them to remove the rear nuts and torque em to 100 like i always do but should I ask for more? I already ordered replacement tools with a discount coupon ($70 total) so I'm not real concerned about the broken tools.

How would you approach them with a situation like this?

DMG
03-20-2014, 07:36 AM
Bring your jeep to the shop and speak directly to the manager. Tell him this whole story. He needs to know that his guys are messing up people's cars. You may get compensation, you may not.

I am not saying they did it on purpose but I worked with a couple of losers at a Chevy dealer that would over torque lugs when people refused the work they were trying to sell. Then again the jeep lug nuts with the chrome caps are junk. The caps come off them all the time.

Mykal
03-20-2014, 10:54 AM
As a shop manager I can tell you that you will get a lot further by stopping in and talking to me rather then barking at me. Do not threaten to go elsewhere. Unless you spend a LOT of money there on a regular basis, it really isnt a threat. He will be glad to get rid of your business if you spend $40 here and there for an oil change, a once a year inspection and only have them diagnose your problems.

People make mistakes. At the end of the day its just a vehicle and no one was hurt.
Always request that your lugs be hand torqued to spec.

At the end of your conversation, after you have gauged how it went, then you can ask what he considers fair compensation if he doesnt offer anything up. Then meet in the middle.

jackb1
03-20-2014, 11:29 AM
It sucks when a shop screws something up. I had a wheel come off (literally off) because someone forgot to tighten lugs enough at a shop. Front wheel, old CJ5. Could have been really bad but got lucky. I get the frustration. But end of the day, nobody was hurt with your situation. Either don't go back or accept it as a mistake and move on with the shop. I'd been going to the shop for years and still do.

Personally I wouldn't expect compensation. Seems like everybody wants compensated for everything any longer. Sometimes, sh*t just happens and you move on. However, I do think it would be completely reasonable for you to ask them to remove the lug nuts for you and torque down to spec. And you should be able to check what wheels were removed on the back of your inspection sticker. The mechanic initials the wheels he takes off (one F, one R needed but seems like all 4 usually come off on older vehicles).