PDA

View Full Version : buying a surplus mil vehicle?

commando72
03-27-2014, 12:56 AM
So I was looking at a few trucks on Goverment Liquidation. Is there a way, if they are out of state, to drive them back with some type of temp Pa registration or what would I need to accomplish that? Not going to pay to have one shipped from Ny to Norther Butler county.

DMFH
03-27-2014, 04:01 AM
the state you get it has to issue the temp plate, Pa has to have the truck at the place of registration if from out of state b4 they will give you a plate, some states its easy but there are a few that wont issue a temp unless your a resident, found this out after I bought my waggy in Md and had to drive to Pa without a plate lol

joshs1ofakindxj
03-27-2014, 08:05 AM
Go here: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forum.php

Scroll down to the government liquidation part of the forum for tons of info.

Don't forget insurance!

oros35
03-27-2014, 10:15 AM
The simple answer is No. You will not have a title until you take possession and wait the few weeks for the paper work to come in.

It may be possible depending on the state, to get a temporary transportation plate in that state. Most states will not give a temp plate without a title though.

If you are from PA you cannot get a PA temp transportation plate. That is only available to out of state people. Even then you still need a title.

The last truck, M923A2, we drove home from Delaware, down the turnpike through Pittsburgh. One before that came from Indianapolis, my first one came from Columbus Oh.

I've driven 3 home without plates. They all had insurance though. Worst case you get a ticket and are forced to tow it the rest of the way home. When was the last time you saw a military vehicle pulled over?

joshs1ofakindxj
03-27-2014, 10:59 AM
I drove my truck home from Syracuse with a NY temporary plate thing but I didn't display it. Took the thruway (turn pike) to Rochester for a day then to Buffalo for a night. Went south through on 219 and 119 to make it an adventure. Saw lots of cops and just got waves. Just had insurance (Hagerty). Don't forget your woodland or ACU shirt and hat lol.

So do ya feel lucky? Huh, do ya?

oros35
03-27-2014, 01:35 PM
ny .
lmtv?

commando72
03-27-2014, 03:47 PM
Well not sure how lucky I am going to feel, but will try and bid on it anyway and gamble that I can make the trip. It's in FT Drum NY, here is a link to a similar truck.
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=7403117&cm_re=gl-trucksandothervehicles-_-gl-trucksandothervehicles2-carousel-_-item-3

We shall see, an adventure for sure. This will be the platform for a new oil well maintenance truck, will post a pic when I have time of the current rust bucket.

commando72
03-27-2014, 03:50 PM
Yup.

lmtv?

gonecheenin
03-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Drove my old Powerstroke home from Ohio with nothing but a pink slip from the dealer. Once I got it home and got the Ohio title in the mail I took it to the DMV, paid my taxs, transfered it to PA, and got my temp plate. I did have insurance but not on the specific truck (insurance company gives you 30 days)

oros35
03-27-2014, 07:56 PM
If it doesn't say running and driving and show it in the video I would highly suggest previewing it. I've gotten lucky 3 times and made it home no problem but many haven't been so fortunate. Keep a towing company number in your back pocket.

flimmy
03-27-2014, 10:27 PM
I just did a quick google search and found a few gov auctions that have already ended and it looks like those Stewart and Stevenson trucks are going to $9-11k

Azzy
03-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Somehow i always end up on there looking at 8x8s... and get pissed off at how they have to be dismantled and scrapped. WTF?

commando72
03-28-2014, 07:45 PM
I just did a quick google search and found a few gov auctions that have already ended and it looks like those Stewart and Stevenson trucks are going to $9-11k

Yep, seems like the price is a bit high. The thing is the size of the truck is damn near perfect for the current rig we use to work on our oil/gas wells. It needs to be fairly short, 12ft or under and only have two axles. Dual rear axles don't maneuver very well where we have the wells and are usually too heavy for the locations; otherwise I would just look for a used duce.