PDA

View Full Version : Trailers

Deadman 94 xj
04-29-2014, 04:52 PM
:040:

I know this has probably been covered quite a bit but this is a new year. lol

I'm going to be in the market for a new bumper pull trailer in the near future. I've got a few in mind (Thanks Jon!) to choose from but I'm interested in general feedback.

Uses: Primarily to haul the CJ around. The CJ is about 80" wide but I'll probably own the trailer much longer than I'll own the CJ so I don't want that alone to be the deciding factor. I think I'll also start coming up with things to haul as I'll be excited just to have a trailer. Probably building materials, Jon's mom, scouts that I find stuck in the woods, etc.

Now for the questions:

-I'm thinking of going without a dove tail only because I see them being drug around all the time and I'd like to avoid that. Thoughts?
-Does anyone regret going with a 7k over a 10k?
-Is there a such thing as too long? Like does anybody wish they would've gone 18' instead of 16'?
-I don't want slide in ramps.

I like the PJ trailers but I read a really bad thread on Pirate with pics of really shitty welds. I've read that they've improved but that's just internet talk.

Anyway, I won't list all of the trailers I've been looking at but suggestions and opinions are welcome.

Also, I am a cheap ass. If I wasn't getting so lazy I'd try to build one. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks!

jeepnick
04-29-2014, 05:04 PM
I have a cornpro car hauler 18' 7k dovetail and slide in Ramps
i love it, torsion axles really make a difference
I'm sure I've over loaded it a bunch and in the long run should've gone 10k
but I recommend one they are around 3k new

justin'sbig7
04-29-2014, 05:46 PM
You have to watch getting a 10k, it's possible to get your combined weights up to where you need a CDL license, however my jeep and trailer put me really damn close to the 7k limit. I wouldn't get another beaver tail due to dragging and is get an 18' next just because 16' has been a tight fit trail wrong things longer than a cj7

JeepGeneral
04-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Check out New Alexandria Tractor Supply, their trailers are built on site so you can go see the quality first hand as they're building them. I have an extra wide, 19 foot, 10K GVW, hydraulic tilt trailer and couldn't be happier. Mine is over 10 years old and takes a beating on a regular basis hauling my Jeep, ATVs, a skid steer and huge piles of scrap. I have used their crank tilt trailers as well and they work well. You'll never miss using ramps!

The only downfall is they use direct metal paint so it will start to peel/rust after a few years. I scuffed and bedlined mine when we first bought it and it held up a little bit better.

Here is clip of their ad I saw last week. Tell them Tom from Hillview sent you and they'll probably hook you up.

jackb1
04-29-2014, 06:48 PM
I have a cornpro car hauler 18' 7k dovetail and slide in Ramps
i love it, torsion axles really make a difference
I'm sure I've over loaded it a bunch and in the long run should've gone 10k
but I recommend one they are around 3k new

You know my input but I'll still type it.

+1 on corn pro

I got a 10k 18' (I think they call it an 18, but its really closer to 19 if I recall) with dovetail. I also agonized all of the options like you are now. It was right for me. The only thing I would do differently is buy it with the equipment fold down ramps.

My last trailer was a 16' 7k with springs for what that is worth.

You're welcome to at least try mine out once to see what you think even if you don't want to borrow it as a long term solution.
The 10k makes sense to me since it is so easy to be at the 7k limit. Especially when the cost difference in minimal. But it is nice to be able to put a mini excavator on it if you have to.

Deadman 94 xj
04-29-2014, 08:00 PM
You have to watch getting a 10k, it's possible to get your combined weights up to where you need a CDL license, however my jeep and trailer put me really damn close to the 7k limit. I wouldn't get another beaver tail due to dragging and is get an 18' next just because 16' has been a tight fit trail wrong things longer than a cj7

That's kinda what I'm thinking at the moment. I'm sure I'll kick myself later on for not getting a dovetail.

You know my input but I'll still type it.

+1 on corn pro

I got a 10k 18' (I think they call it an 18, but its really closer to 19 if I recall) with dovetail. I also agonized all of the options like you are now. It was right for me. The only thing I would do differently is buy it with the equipment fold down ramps.

My last trailer was a 16' 7k with springs for what that is worth.

You're welcome to at least try mine out once to see what you think even if you don't want to borrow it as a long term solution.
The 10k makes sense to me since it is so easy to be at the 7k limit. Especially when the cost difference in minimal. But it is nice to be able to put a mini excavator on it if you have to.

Thanks, I'm lean toward the corn pro's at the moment.

http://pgh-offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?18598-Trailers/page8

Searched and found that thread. Holy hell 8 pages lol.

Deadman 94 xj
04-29-2014, 08:12 PM
At what point does a CDL become necessary? I'm guessing it takes GVW of the trailer and your truck? Sorry, this is all new to me. My truck is a Chevy 2500...9,200 GVW.

ridgerunner97
04-29-2014, 08:31 PM
At what point does a CDL become necessary? I'm guessing it takes GVW of the trailer and your truck? Sorry, this is all new to me. My truck is a Chevy 2500...9,200 GVW.

Super gray area. I'm going to call and talk to the PSP DOT officer's there at Greensburg, I want to find out if I can take my A in a truck and trailer without airbrakes and take a written test for air, that is on the list of questions...

jackb1
04-29-2014, 08:50 PM
I went dovetail because I still have an interest in someday getting an SCCA car it would be much better. Plus, if it scrapes, so what?

My firm understanding is that you can tow a 10,000 GVW and under trailer without a CDL. 10,001 lb and you need a class A. Tow vehicle doesn't matter (unless it requires a CDL of itself).

To Ridge, I was told that you can't do that. You need to take the test in a truck that requires a class A. If you find out differently, please let me know as I think I'd go for it.

Deadman 94 xj
04-29-2014, 09:13 PM
Super gray area. I'm going to call and talk to the PSP DOT officer's there at Greensburg, I want to find out if I can take my A in a truck and trailer without airbrakes and take a written test for air, that is on the list of questions...

http://cdltrainingconsultants.com/Who_Needs_a_CDL_.html

I found that ^, I don't know if it applies to PA but it explained it pretty clearly.

I went dovetail because I still have an interest in someday getting an SCCA car it would be much better. Plus, if it scrapes, so what?

I'd be taking it to offroad parks and stuff like that where clearance might be an issue. Just situations where backing in would be a pain, etc. It seems like most go with the dovetail so I'm probably over thinking it but I don't see me needing something that low to risk beating up my trailer.

highlandercj-7
04-29-2014, 09:18 PM
These guys have some decent pricing. They have several models on CL, even aluminum.
http://wheeling.craigslist.org/ptd/4387612335.html

Mountaineer Trailer Sales
3200 Rosemar Rd
Vienna, WV 26105
(304) 917-4443

Deadman 94 xj
04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
These guys have some decent pricing. They have several models on CL, even aluminum.
http://wheeling.craigslist.org/ptd/4387612335.html

Mountaineer Trailer Sales
3200 Rosemar Rd
Vienna, WV 26105
(304) 917-4443

Thats the cheapest I've seen so far. Not bad.

Super Scout
04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
I like my econo trailer it was stupid cheap, I beat the hell out of it and it tows amazing empty or full. I don't see any reason to spend more lol.

There was a thread on here a few years ago that beat the CDL towing a trailer thing to death. I seem to remember that unless you are engaged in commercial activity than none of that matters. Our licenses are good to 26001 pounds combined or single, says right on the back. It doesnt matter what the trailer weighs.

Deadman 94 xj
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
I like my econo trailer it was stupid cheap, I beat the hell out of it and it tows amazing empty or full. I don't see any reason to spend more lol.

Its still an option! You got that thing for a steal though.

Super Scout
04-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Whoa they did go up in price. You will find one online. Just take your time, everyone rushes.... Good deals come to the dude who waits....

XJchris98
04-29-2014, 09:43 PM

26,001+ GCVWR I do believe.

If it's just your truck, jeep, and trailer you won't be anyway near a CDL requirement. My truck, 32' car hauler, and two jeeps isn't even in the CDL category.

I've heard a lot of different stories/suggestions/opinions when it comes to this. Some say if your not hauling commercial (or for profit), the higher weight class registration isn't necessary. What I do know is, the fines for being over weight when you get caught are A LOT more than just paying for the higher weight class sticker from the get go (something like $1000 for every 100#'s your overweight). Your license might be good to 26k lbs, but the vehicle your driving may not be. Bottom line, make sure the vehicle your towing with is registered for the right weight class and that you have all necessary papers to document the loads your pulling.

Also an FYI to anyone towing through the harmarville/allegheny valley turnpike interchange: Harmar Twp hired an officer that went to DOT school and is very well versed with weight class requirements. I just recently saw him with a truck+canoe trailer pulled over and on the portable scales. There was NO way the truck was overloaded either.

Deadman 94 xj
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM
^^^Good to know. Thanks

joshs1ofakindxj
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM
For my XJ, a 16' was barely long enough to not have too much tongue weight and stand up the ramps without hitting the back of the cherokee. 18' gave me a lot more comfort. Also upgrading to a tilt deck trailer was a big difference. Wish we had spent the extra money for the electric/hydraulic pump for the tilt but the hand crank isn't terrible. Also get a trailer with removable fenders so when you use it to haul a wide rig or a load of scrap you can load and unload it without wrecking the fenders.

ridgerunner97
04-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Also a thing to remember is that 7k gvw trailer doesn't mean 7k lb payload. The heavier the built the trailer the less you can put on it til you reach gvw rating...another fun thing to balance as far as options etc. go and planning ahead. Those tilts are much heavier than a regular trailer, cutting your payload down drastically to the 5k lb range most likely on a 7k gvw trailer, another fun thing to think on. Unfortunately a 7k would never work for me, and a 10k isn't enough either with the skidloader we have and attachments...bleh 14k-17k is where i'm going. Trying to score an appalachian goose this weekend if I can't get it for a fair price, i'll stick to the originl plan of buying a new 17k gvw kaufman...It's only money

joe_and_jeep
04-29-2014, 10:51 PM
CDL is required when the combination exceeds 26,000. Or when the trailer is registered above 10,000. There is a NON commercial Class A license available for guys towing 10,001 and above or 26,001 and above. Also when your 9200GVW truck is combined with a 10000GVW trailer you have a 19200 combination. 17501 and above requires semi annual inspection. I worked for a heavy towing company for a few years. Your best bet if you're only going to haul your Jeep is go 7000. You should be able to haul a full sized truck with a 7000 trailer.

I like my 16ft beaver tail, it rarely drags but my trailer is so over built I just let it drag.

13below0
04-29-2014, 10:53 PM
I got a PJ'S buggy hauler and I am more than happy with it. Pulls great the extra width is sooooo nice I just load and go.

XJchris98
04-29-2014, 11:15 PM
CDL is required when the combination exceeds 26,000. Or when the trailer is registered above 10,000. There is a NON commercial Class A license available for guys towing 10,001 and above or 26,001 and above. Also when your 9200GVW truck is combined with a 10000GVW trailer you have a 19200 combination. 17501 and above requires semi annual inspection.

Do you have anymore info on the non commercial class A license for 10,001+? My trailers registered at 14k (max rating for the trailer). I was aware of the semi annual inspection, and even the medical card requirement for 17,501 combination. Didn't know about the non-commercial class A license though?

jopickens
04-29-2014, 11:19 PM
"I seem to remember that unless you are engaged in commercial activity than none of that matters."

Exactly... a CDL is for commercial purposes where you are engaged in commerce. If it's for personal use all that is out the window... Regardless everyone will have an example of someone they know that was pulled by DOT and got the run around, or a ticket, or was shut down and made to walk home blah blah blah I've been pulled by the DOT twice, got two different stories, and in one of those instances the DOT officer himself didn't understand the CDL laws... ridiculous! We had a DOT official come to our office and train our folks on all of the laws/rules etc. The question was quickly asked to him: "I own an F750 dump truck with air brakes registered for 38,000lbs. I want to drive to the gravel yard, purchase a load of stone, haul it back to my residence and deposit it on my driveway. Do I need a CDL?" He replied with a question: "Are you engaging in commerce with your trip - i.e. making money by hauling that stone?" The answer was "no". He said: "CDL laws do not pertain to your situation. If your truck is properly registered for the weight it is hauling it is perfectly fine to do just what you described on a personal basis."
So technically your tow rig (your truck or whatever you pull with) should be registered for your GCWR even for personal use. I know of no one that does this... but you are supposed to. I run a regular plate on my dually that is good up to 10k lbs. With this example and the truck weighing in at 8500lbs. I can load it with 1500lbs (this is people, cargo, fuel, etc.) hahaha
Obviously not practical... What I am supposed do is register my truck for it's GCWR which is 37500lbs. -> or some amt. less than that equaling just a bit more than the maximum I determine my GCWR would ever be while towing/hauling. I don't own a trailer that would allow me to max out my trucks GCWR of 37500lbs. so for instance I might register it for 28,000lbs. and save some $ on the registration/plate fee. There are BIG differences in WV. Regular plate I believe is $35. Registering a B plate at the 37,500lb. mark is $300 / yr! If you drive a class 8 truck and register for 80k lbs. it's $1100+ / yr. This $ is supposed to go to repairing the roads you tear up by moving heavier than normal loads etc. etc.
Ok I'm done babbling... here's a cheat sheet for those of you that pull commercially and wonder if a CDL is required.
Josh

http://ezpickens.com/josh/pirate4x4/CDLFlowChart.jpg

jopickens
04-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Do you have anymore info on the non commercial class A license for 10,001+? My trailers registered at 14k (max rating for the trailer). I was aware of the semi annual inspection, and even the medical card requirement for 17,501 combination. Didn't know about the non-commercial class A license though?

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLicensePhotoIDCenter/license_classes.shtml

jopickens
04-29-2014, 11:34 PM
I would go 18'. A crew cab long bed barely fits on my 16.5' flat deck trailer.
Dove tails are a PIA unless you have a need for them (cars/hard to load construction equipment). I would personally buy a trailer without a dove or ramps and purchase separately an 8' long pair of aluminum ramps.
10k gtwr at a minimum... nice to hit the 12k mark and get 8 lug 6k lb. axles. Much more robust in the bearing/brake department.
My 16.5 flat deck and 25' goose both have Dexter torflex axles - ride VERY smooth, have handled being overloaded a number of times... BUT your trailer deck should be close to parallel with the ground while hauling to even the weight distribution from axle to axle. You don't have the equalizer effect/mechanism that most all spring over/under axle trailers have.
My 14k PJ dump trailer is built well/heavy (8" I beam main frame etc.) but I would also consider the welds good, not great. They seem to be fine where it counts structurally... but the guy adding on all the accessories might have been in a hurry to get home for the day.
My 3 cents - Josh

dan58
04-30-2014, 06:46 AM
I got a PJ'S buggy hauler and I am more than happy with it. Pulls great the extra width is sooooo nice I just load and go.

The buggy hauler is the best for what we do. They've also priced themselves out of consideration. Several other manufacturers are making a "full-width, drive over fender" model. They're all custom though. When I called the local dealers, they were close to $4500 for a 10K.

My friends and I are about to pull the trigger on a group buy with Kaufman. We can still get you in, and we're having a friend pick them up in NC. I have had a 7K TWF trailer for 6 years. It's a lightweight POS. I'm at the very limit every time the jeep goes on the trailer. Kaufman has an 8K trailer, which is perfect for most of us. I'm going with a 10K, 18' with removable fenders. From our research, you are going to be a minimum of $500 to upgrade from 7K to 10K, and it's worth every penny, IMHO.

Does New Alexandria have a web page?

tjblair
04-30-2014, 07:04 AM
http://www.appalachiantrailers.com/car-trailers/wood-floor-car-trailers-standard-duty-6-channel-frame-and-tongue-10k-12k
Here is what I went with. But I had them make a 22ft because I put a pop up on the tongue of the trialer. I went with the 10k version and have been really happy with it. I went with the side in ramps because they are easier to remove if I dont want to carry them. If I were you I would get a dove tail. 90% of the time I dont neeed he ramps at all. It would suck to have to use the ramps every time if you had to.

PatF10
04-30-2014, 08:08 AM
I have a 16' with 3' beaver tail. I like it. The only downfall is the axles are mounted pretty far back and it takes for ever for the trailer to finish a turn.

atvboo
04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
I read somewhere Kaufman owns Appalachian now

justin'sbig7
04-30-2014, 08:54 AM
Paging Oros35

Brad did a lot of digging into all the technicalities of this topic and has a TON of knowledge on the CDL requirements. The only thing I was told by the dmv is that Rv weights don't count in weight classes (when I bought my 5th wheel) but any other trailer does. I was also told that if I take a vehicle on a trailer to a show or any competitions where I stand to gain any winnings, even a trophy, a hardass LEO could technically pin it as commercial (even with a 7k trailer).

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 09:27 AM
how are dove tails a pain in the ass?

Unless you mean never having to pull the ramps down to load the jeep is a pain in the ass...

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 09:29 AM
http://cornprotrailer.net/car-hauler-utility-trailers/

what nick and i ran. a little pricey but man i haven't found a trailer i like better.

mxg342
04-30-2014, 09:43 AM
My firm understanding is that you can tow a 10,000 GVW and under trailer without a CDL. 10,001 lb and you need a class A. Tow vehicle doesn't matter (unless it requires a CDL of itself).

Yep. That's how it used to be anyway. You are good to go with anything 10,000lbs and below. At 10,001 lbs, you will need combination plates for the truck and a medical card. Not really a CDL, but you need the physical and the card. Plus I think you need to carry a fire extinguisher and triangles.

Now this information is for the "pleasure" trailer puller. If you are making any type of compensation (cash, trophies, dinner, etc) for using your trailer then this all changes. The majic number then becomes 17,000lbs combined weight. There are additional regulations to follow at that point and DOT numbers come into play if you are crossing state lines.

Once again, this information is from the 2005/2006 time frame. It may or may not still be current.

jopickens
04-30-2014, 10:49 AM
how are dove tails a pain in the ass?
Unless you mean never having to pull the ramps down to load the jeep is a pain in the ass...

I use my flat deck trailer to haul many things non jeep/auto related in/out of areas that are beyond your typical driveway to wheeling area parking lot situations. The dove would be subject to dragging... often.
Clearly my opinion and situation.

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 10:52 AM
I use my flat deck trailer to haul many things non jeep/auto related in/out of areas that are beyond your typical driveway to wheeling area parking lot situations. The dove would be subject to dragging... often.
Clearly my opinion and situation.

i'd rather have the dove tail and deal with it hitting. i've smacked mine plenty of times. but that's a small price to pay for how close you can get it to the ground if you strategically place the truck/trailer when loading odd stuff.

plus, i've loaded a corvette on it no problem. and other low cars. it just makes it more useful. and even with the dove tail my ramps still stored underneath the rear.

just my .02

jopickens
04-30-2014, 10:55 AM
Paging Oros35
Brad did a lot of digging into all the technicalities of this topic and has a TON of knowledge on the CDL requirements. The only thing I was told by the dmv is that Rv weights don't count in weight classes (when I bought my 5th wheel) but any other trailer does. I was also told that if I take a vehicle on a trailer to a show or any competitions where I stand to gain any winnings, even a trophy, a hardass LEO could technically pin it as commercial (even with a 7k trailer).

Good point - DOT officer told me when I asked about class A diesel pusher motor homes/coaches w/air brakes and such(no CDL required was his response)... that they were going to start cracking down on guys hauling their race cars to events where there are cash prizes... as well as the equine folks going to shows/events with cash payouts etc.
Josh

jopickens
04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
i'd rather have the dove tail and deal with it hitting. i've smacked mine plenty of times. but that's a small price to pay for how close you can get it to the ground if you strategically place the truck/trailer when loading odd stuff.
plus, i've loaded a corvette on it no problem. and other low cars. it just makes it more useful. and even with the dove tail my ramps still stored underneath the rear.
just my .02

Understood completely - and with you would agree 90%+ of those on here would probably be fine/completely happy with a dove etc.
Josh

Deadman 94 xj
04-30-2014, 12:06 PM
I would go 18'. A crew cab long bed barely fits on my 16.5' flat deck trailer.
Dove tails are a PIA unless you have a need for them (cars/hard to load construction equipment). I would personally buy a trailer without a dove or ramps and purchase separately an 8' long pair of aluminum ramps.
10k gtwr at a minimum... nice to hit the 12k mark and get 8 lug 6k lb. axles. Much more robust in the bearing/brake department.
My 16.5 flat deck and 25' goose both have Dexter torflex axles - ride VERY smooth, have handled being overloaded a number of times... BUT your trailer deck should be close to parallel with the ground while hauling to even the weight distribution from axle to axle. You don't have the equalizer effect/mechanism that most all spring over/under axle trailers have.
My 14k PJ dump trailer is built well/heavy (8" I beam main frame etc.) but I would also consider the welds good, not great. They seem to be fine where it counts structurally... but the guy adding on all the accessories might have been in a hurry to get home for the day.
My 3 cents - Josh

This is what I want. I like the fold down ramps but I like the idea of purchasing ramps separately too for the situations where you might need to make adjustments to load something. Either way I appreciate the feedback.

XJchris98
04-30-2014, 12:11 PM
Yep. That's how it used to be anyway. You are good to go with anything 10,000lbs and below. At 10,001 lbs, you will need combination plates for the truck and a medical card. Not really a CDL, but you need the physical and the card. Plus I think you need to carry a fire extinguisher and triangles.

Now this information is for the "pleasure" trailer puller. If you are making any type of compensation (cash, trophies, dinner, etc) for using your trailer then this all changes. The majic number then becomes 17,000lbs combined weight. There are additional regulations to follow at that point and DOT numbers come into play if you are crossing state lines.

Once again, this information is from the 2005/2006 time frame. It may or may not still be current.

Good info to know.

Isn't there something about labeling the truck/trailer with "NOT FOR HIRE" lettering that keeps you from dealing with DOT numbers?

jopickens
04-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Good info to know.
Isn't there something about labeling the truck/trailer with "NOT FOR HIRE" lettering that keeps you from dealing with DOT numbers?

Interesting answers here - nothing appearing definitive tho...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090126001153AAdZHAO

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=88660

jopickens
04-30-2014, 01:41 PM
This is what I want. I like the fold down ramps but I like the idea of purchasing ramps separately too for the situations where you might need to make adjustments to load something. Either way I appreciate the feedback.

Fold down ramps can be nice/convenient (especially if you use it regularly). If you're not able to fold them flat (possible strapping them to the deck to avoid movement/noise) and have to transport the trailer with them pinned in the upright position they can rattle like rocks in a barrel. Also if you get one with fold down ramps you might ensure they are easily removable for times that you would haul something that doesn't require them. My 25' goose has them and more than 50% of the time the fold down ramps aren't attached. I use my aluminum ramps whenever possible, I just wish they were 8' instead of 6'. These can be pricey with enough load rating for vehicles... so price/check them out first before buying a trailer w/o ramps. I love trailers and hauling stuff (as you can probably tell - ha) - thanks for starting this thread. Fun stuff... Josh

justin'sbig7
04-30-2014, 01:52 PM

just my .02

its all well and good to drag it. until the dragging earth pops out the brake lights, then something rips off the license plate, and the plate light, and the clearance lights, and tears half the wiring out from under the trailer when THAT gets caught on something. THEN it gets costly, you have to relocate the brake lights out from the back to the sides but not too far forward so that theyre visible, then you have to create a solid steel light cage wrapped 360* around it because it is now susceptible to an offsided tire while loading or, still, obstacles from below. then hope that a cop doesn't pick at you for bent plates, since if you relocate It too far from the back you will get stopped because of "plate visibility" (yes that happened) so it kinda has to stay back there. now that all of that is straightened out its not bad to deal with...

jopickens
04-30-2014, 01:59 PM
^right on... been there done that as well. Here's an old pic of a crew cab long bed on a 16'6" deck.

http://ezpickens.com/josh/bigbrowntruck/dodgeford.jpg

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 02:21 PM
its all well and good to drag it. until the dragging earth pops out the brake lights, then something rips off the license plate, and the plate light, and the clearance lights, and tears half the wiring out from under the trailer when THAT gets caught on something. THEN it gets costly, you have to relocate the brake lights out from the back to the sides but not too far forward so that theyre visible, then you have to create a solid steel light cage wrapped 360* around it because it is now susceptible to an offsided tire while loading or, still, obstacles from below. then hope that a cop doesn't pick at you for bent plates, since if you relocate It too far from the back you will get stopped because of "plate visibility" (yes that happened) so it kinda has to stay back there. now that all of that is straightened out its not bad to deal with...

you should have looked under my corn pro. everything was tucked out of the way. the ONLY thing that would get caught was the plate. for some reason they mounted that so 2" hung down under the trailer. just bent that back up and it was good to go.

tail lights were all enclosed in protected boxes.

i'd still rather be able to load a sports car easily and have the tail occasionally drag than have to deal with loading a car on a trailer without a dovetail.

not to mention, there are times when the front of the truck is on a different elevation. higher up than the back. that raises the back of the trailer even more.

wish i still had pics of nick's F250 on my corn pro.

ya, to each their own. i'll take the more practical and useful dovetail.

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 02:32 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/46willys/2011-05-01_17-17-42_660.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/46willys/media/2011-05-01_17-17-42_660.jpg.html)

what's going to rip off? tail lights are oval flush mounts in a heavy steel box. the only wiring going to the back is the plate light and the marker lights in the middle. which was tucked up in the frame channel. and it's not like that dovetail is hanging down THAT much lower than the rest of the trailer...

i guess that's why you buy a well built trailer though instead of the cheapest piece of sh!t you can find.

oros35
04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Paging Oros35

Ha!

Yes, been discussed many times here. This info is directly from the PA State Police, The guy that teaches the classes to the rest of the state police and local police.

Simple facts: Class A CDL if 26,001 and up, regardless of towing or not.
Under 26,000 GCW No CDL is required.
Class B CDL will allow you to drive a 26,001 vehicle with a trailer under 10,000lbs.

The only other rules are for registration. If the trailer is 10,001 and up, the truck requires a combination plate.

If you are commercial (and like Justin said, winning a ribbon at a show technically makes you commercial since you profited from it) commercial laws apply, medical card, etc. Although 99% of us will never meet that criteria.

I have 2 Corn Pro trailers, love them. One bumper pull 18' 12K lb trailer, one 25' goosekneck 14K lb. My chevy 2500HD is registered at 22K GCW, Class 8. I do not have a CDL. I do carry a medical card. And the state police used me as an example in their training on what is legal.

jackb1
04-30-2014, 03:10 PM
trailer...

Couldn't you find a nice truck to tow with?

Thought I'd head outside and take some pictures to help alleviate the dovetail argument. You'll notice, it sits no lower than a trailer would without the dovetail. The only argument I can see, that means the last 1.5' of the trailer isn't as stout as the rest of it. But you won't have all 10k sitting back there anyway.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/jeepgod01/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0f7ba0c3.jpeg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/jeepgod01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0f7ba0c3.jpeg.html)

Also added this... the only part that sticks down is the last bit of license plate. You can see I already hit mine. The numbers sit high enough they won't be hit.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/jeepgod01/Mobile%20Uploads/image9_zps0ef669d5.jpeg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/jeepgod01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image9_zps0ef669d5.jpeg.html)

This is a corn pro 18. It is 18' of deck and 1.5' of dovetail. There's nothing to rip off.

justin'sbig7
04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/46willys/2011-05-01_17-17-42_660.jpg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/46willys/media/2011-05-01_17-17-42_660.jpg.html)

what's going to rip off? tail lights are oval flush mounts in a heavy steel box. the only wiring going to the back is the plate light and the marker lights in the middle. which was tucked up in the frame channel. and it's not like that dovetail is hanging down THAT much lower than the rest of the trailer...

i guess that's why you buy a well built trailer though instead of the cheapest piece of sh!t you can find.

so much for "to each their own"? Ill just wait a few weeks and buy whatever you got tired of for the next shiny object... at least you do buy decent crap to start with.

justin'sbig7
04-30-2014, 03:27 PM

Thought I'd head outside and take some pictures to help alleviate the dovetail argument. You'll notice, it sits no lower than a trailer would without the dovetail. The only argument I can see, that means the last 1.5' of the trailer isn't as stout as the rest of it. But you won't have all 10k sitting back there anyway.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/jeepgod01/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0f7ba0c3.jpeg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/jeepgod01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps0f7ba0c3.jpeg.html)

Also added this... the only part that sticks down is the last bit of license plate. You can see I already hit mine. The numbers sit high enough they won't be hit.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q294/jeepgod01/Mobile%20Uploads/image9_zps0ef669d5.jpeg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/jeepgod01/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image9_zps0ef669d5.jpeg.html)

This is a corn pro 18. It is 18' of deck and 1.5' of dovetail. There's nothing to rip off. when you are backing the trailer and it hits, it shaves the yard, gravel etc because the back of the trailer now acts kind of like a blade. when that shit gets forced upward, all that fancy stuff comes off. I am glad yall are having good luck. maybe I take my trailer into way less civil areas than most. In my experience, no more dovetail for this guy.

jackb1
04-30-2014, 03:33 PM
when you are backing the trailer and it hits, it shaves the yard, gravel etc because the back of the trailer now acts kind of like a blade. when that shit gets forced upward, all that fancy stuff comes off. I am glad yall are having good luck. maybe I take my trailer into way less civil areas than most. In my experience, no more dovetail for this guy.

I'm not trying to prove what I choose is better than what you choose.

But this does provide a nice look at their dovetail that might help the OP decide for himself. After all, helping Tom decide what he wants for himself is the point.

It's just a friggin trailer. Who really wants to give their time to proving that the flat piece of steel someone chose to drag behind their truck is "the best".

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 03:34 PM

This is a corn pro 18. It is 18' of deck and 1.5' of dovetail. There's nothing to rip off.

exactly. on that particular trailer (same one i had) it's no lower than if the dovetail didn't exist.

when you are backing the trailer and it hits, it shaves the yard, gravel etc because the back of the trailer now acts kind of like a blade. when that shit gets forced upward, all that fancy stuff comes off. I am glad yall are having good luck. maybe I take my trailer into way less civil areas than most. In my experience, no more dovetail for this guy.

the bottom of it is the EXACT same height as if it was just a flat deck. go ahead and bury it into the hillside. the tail lights are outside on the boxes and moved forward to prevent damage. and the main bar across the back protects the markers in the middle.

all that's left is the plate light. which would be in the EXACT same spot if the dove tail wasn't there. add some lite bolts and fold the plate under (what i did) and you'll never have an issue, AND you'll be able to load the lower sitting sports cars with ease.

not all trailers are the same or created equal. but on these corn pros (which i'm pretty sold on after abusing the hell out of mine, and watching nick abuse the hell out of his) are designed well.

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 03:37 PM
I'm not trying to prove what I choose is better than what you choose.

But this does provide a nice look at their dovetail that might help the OP decide for himself. After all, helping Tom decide what he wants for himself is the point.

It's just a friggin trailer. Who really wants to give their time to proving that the flat piece of steel someone chose to drag behind their truck is "the best".

like everything else i've had a few different ones.

there's definitely a difference between models. some pull loud, some pull quiet.

my biggest thing anymore is torsion suspension. i can deal with whatever configuration the trailer is set up for. but after towing a trailer with torsion suspension i'll never go back to leaf sprung. no way.

justin'sbig7
04-30-2014, 03:51 PM
My trailers dove tail sits a lot lower than the corn pros, I agree they are a very nice trailer and would love to have one. My trailer is solidly built and not a bottom budget cheap junk trailer but it's different than yours and I have had these issues. My trailers lighting layout and wiring were not as well planned or protected as the CP is.

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 03:54 PM
My trailers dove tail sits a lot lower than the corn pros, I agree they are a very nice trailer and would love to have one. My trailer is solidly built and not a bottom budget cheap junk trailer but it's different than yours and I have had these issues. My trailers lighting layout and wiring were not as well planned or protected as the CP is.

sorry man, didn't mean to get all argumentative...

i guess it comes down to the all encompassing general statement about dovetails. i had a different experience with it than you have.

i'm not saying that if it's not cornpro it's junk. there's lots of good trailers out there. I apologize if i came off as implying that.

joshs1ofakindxj
04-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Boy asking for a trailer recommendation on here is like saying the Holocaust didn't happen. Some panties get twisted in Celtic knots. I love it.

justin'sbig7
04-30-2014, 04:19 PM
sorry man, didn't mean to get all argumentative...

i guess it comes down to the all encompassing general statement about dovetails. i had a different experience with it than you have.

i'm not saying that if it's not cornpro it's junk. there's lots of good trailers out there. I apologize if i came off as implying that.

its all good, like jackb1 said, its all opinions and the thread is to try to help tom out with different views / reviews. I am not generalizing anything with what I post, it is what has happened to mine, and my experience. LOL! now lets sing kumbaya and hug n'shit

justin'sbig7
04-30-2014, 04:20 PM
Boy asking for a trailer recommendation on here is like saying the Holocaust didn't happen. Some panties get twisted in Celtic knots. I love it.

I hate when that happens! rips all of my asshairs out and makes me grumpy!

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 04:24 PM
its all good, like jackb1 said, its all opinions and the thread is to try to help tom out with different views / reviews. I am not generalizing anything with what I post, it is what has happened to mine, and my experience. LOL! now lets sing kumbaya and hug n'shit

full frontal hug or side hug?

i'm just trying to see where you're going with this :)

justin'sbig7
04-30-2014, 04:26 PM
maybe a lil kiss too

joshs1ofakindxj
04-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Based on the height difference between Justin and Dunbar, kissing only seems to benefit one of you...

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Based on the height difference between Justin and Dunbar, kissing only seems to benefit one of you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw8zBSzjHF0

Deadman 94 xj
04-30-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm only shying away from the dove tail because dunbar is so adamant about it. I might find a way to RAISE the tail just because...

joshs1ofakindxj
04-30-2014, 05:45 PM
whale tail trailer. More down force bro. Reduces tongue weight and sway.

YZEATER
04-30-2014, 05:50 PM
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/driverLicensePhotoIDCenter/license_classes.shtml

This still says your good pulling trailers over 10k, as long as your under 26k.

My truck is registered to 19k combination. I have a medical card. I just don't get the semi annual inspection.

Deadman 94 xj
04-30-2014, 06:24 PM
whale tail trailer. More down force bro. Reduces tongue weight and sway.

:042:

That's a flat deck with fold up ramps!

I was just driving behind one on the way home oddly enough. Looked rather high for deck height so I see where some of you are coming from. I appreciate the feedback...I need to go actually look at them in person.

bbqfreak
04-30-2014, 06:56 PM
ordered a sure trac 25+3 low pro gooseneck with drive over fenders, should be here in a week or two. cant wait. plan is to be able to haul 2 jeeps or my jeep and a slide in truck camper on the front. now I need to find a pop up truck camper. LOL

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm only shying away from the dove tail because dunbar is so adamant about it. I might find a way to RAISE the tail just because...

Load your jeep without ramps on both and let me know which you like better. Never having to touch dirty nasty ramps is an epic win. Not saying you cant with a flat deck.

But like I said. Load on both and let us know how you like it.

It's nice being able to easily haul a car if needed too without long ass ramps

Deadman 94 xj
04-30-2014, 07:18 PM
Load your jeep without ramps on both and let me know which you like better. Never having to touch dirty nasty ramps is an epic win. Not saying you cant with a flat deck.

But like I said. Load on both and let us know how you like it.

It's nice being able to easily haul a car if needed too without long ass ramps

Oh a little dirt never hurt anyone, LOL! I think either would be fine but the opinion that dove tails aren't for everyone isn't mine. Doing research I've read that quite a bit which is how I came to that conclusion in the OP. Guys talking about bending the dove tail on pirate, etc. I might end up gettng one so I won't rule them out..it seems like most guys do. I just gotta think about what I'll use the trailer for. The jeep crawling up ramps won't care.

Either way, thanks for the help!

scramblur
04-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Are you looking new or used? I have a PJ 20 foot that has new tires and brakes. Started life as a 7k, now has two 7k axles under it. It does have dovetail and I have not used the ramps in years. Come take a look at it when you are ready.

Deadman 94 xj
04-30-2014, 07:22 PM
I think the corn pro dove tails are actually really nice for the reason's justin mentioned. They seem to have eliminated a lot of that stuff.

Deadman 94 xj
04-30-2014, 07:23 PM
Are you looking new or used? I have a PJ 20 foot that has new tires and brakes. Started life as a 7k, now has two 7k axles under it. It does have dovetail and I have not used the ramps in years. Come take a look at it when you are ready.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. I'm looking new or used but it's going to be a little bit before I buy. Right now I'm just learning as much as I can..you know.

jeepnick
04-30-2014, 07:33 PM
Your more then welcome to borrow mine and load your jeep up take it for a ride

Deadman 94 xj
04-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Your more then welcome to borrow mine and load your jeep up take it for a ride

Thanks Nick, appreciate it. Seeing as how it just made the trip you took I'm sure they're nice.

jeepnick
04-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks Nick, appreciate it. Seeing as how it just made the trip you took I'm sure they're nice.
I have about 20,000 miles on it bought in 2010
im happy with it

gonecheenin
04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
I bought a brand new 6ft 10in wide by 18ft long deck 5 lug dual axle brake leaf sprung 7K G&G regular non-deck over trailer (El Cheapo angle iron construction) back in 2004, alot of you on here had seen that one before. At the time I just knew I wanted a trailer & it was what I could afford, I don't regret my decision because I ran the heck out of it including running over the sheetmetal fenders, hauling stuff that was over the available capacity, never cleaning or repainting it, and leaving it sit ignored unless I needed it. Twice in the time I owned it I redid the wheel bearings, fenders, tires (always LT tires too, trailer tires crack too quickly for me), lights, and once replaced some deck wood.

Last year I sold that trailer desperately in need of TLC and bought a used 8ft wide by 20 ft long (16ft flat with a 4ft beaver) 6 lug dual axle brake leaf sprung 10K Carolina beam chassis'd deck over trailer with fold up ramps. I was literally thrilled the first time I loaded my fullsize axled red YJ without any drama - zero zip nada. No smashing fenders, no fighting with ramps, no crawling on fenders to get out of the Jeep, no deck flexing when loading, nothing - it was heaven. Literally the only drawbacks I can find with the bigger trailer is more overall weight to start with (but it seems to tow easier once moving, maybe less flex from the 5K axles with a load?), the height means you can't just hop on easily and have to climb up, and the loading angle even with the beaver means getting a low hanging vehicle on could be tough (but not impossible especially with a huge jack up front to raise the nose of the trailer)

I have a torsion axle'd little 2200lb aluminum trailer and it is WAY better than leaf springs on something the small, but on the big trailer leaves don't bother me a bit. The beaver does drag at times and keeps me from towing a bit tounge high like I prefer (axles are pretty far forward for it's length, though that does help with turning) but it's not a big deal and I plan to just cut about 8-10"s of the tail eventually. I always thought the taller trailer would be hairy in the turns but it feels no worse than my 7K did.

All in all I love this thing and would never recommend a smaller one, it can easily haul just about anything I can think up, it matchs my dually's capacity beautifully, it allows me to load it from the side if needed at the scrap or lumber yard, and it even has a long enough tounge to tow right off the hitch when usiing my truck camper.

Don't buy 7K unless your SURE your never going to haul anything but a stock-ish Jeep or a medium sized car - anyone that needs a trailer in general should buy at least a 10K imho cause they will destroy a 7K (how many trashed 7K's have you seen compared to how many trashed 10K's you've ever noticed). If you do buy 7 anyway get the drive over fenders for what we do - you WILL hit them even if they are removeable!

Oh, and don't sweat that 17K combined thing, that's a commercial Interstate Commerce rule & only matters if your hauling commercial, you only needed combined plates it the trailer is titled over 10K even like was said earlier in this thread.

BTW: Their is such a thing as Class A & B non-commercial licenses, CDL's are exactly what they sound like and is only needed for buisness use.

gonecheenin
04-30-2014, 08:32 PM
Oh - and I haven't done it yet but when I cut my beaver tail down I'm gonna mount my plate & lights in my fold up ramps so they are protected no matter what!

2002wranglerX
04-30-2014, 08:33 PM
I don't disagree with a 10k lb trailer.

7k is fine for your cj. But a 10k gives a lot more room to grow.

Deadman 94 xj
05-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Got my first trailer brake controller!...lol

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a8ojNP2S4FU/U2P9dSiwhJI/AAAAAAAAAps/_JLcopvyQcs/s640/20140502_134729.jpg

It's all the little things..

2002wranglerX
05-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Got my first trailer brake controller!...lol

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a8ojNP2S4FU/U2P9dSiwhJI/AAAAAAAAAps/_JLcopvyQcs/s640/20140502_134729.jpg

It's all the little things..

That's the one i ran and really liked

gonecheenin
05-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Got that same one myself but haven't installed it yet.

oros35
05-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I have the one model above it (P3) and love it. Basic function is the same, just has a fancier display and couple more options for different style trailers.

dan58
05-03-2014, 06:18 AM
Good choice. I ran that one in my CTD. The 09 GMC has factory tow on the dash, or I'd still be using it.

Deadman 94 xj
05-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Good to hear. I did a bit of research and decided on the P2 only because it was $20 cheaper than the P3...lol. I think the P3 has better diagnostics or something like that. This is probably one of the first times I didn't splurge and still got a good unit.

ridgerunner97
05-03-2014, 10:48 PM
I run the P2, my dad does, my pap does, and SuperScout does as well I think. All of us in my family have had flawless performance and wouldn't run anything else.

Deadman 94 xj
05-03-2014, 10:58 PM
Superscout got the P3 but just as good or better from what I read and your point it still the same. This stuff is FUN.