PDA

View Full Version : ZJ tow hooks/shackles

JeepSteeler
12-27-2006, 01:08 PM
Looking for front end shackles or hook kit for 1995 ZJ. Willing to look at rear setups as well- basic recovery points.

Thanks

mudforblood
12-29-2006, 02:33 AM
I think I could trade you rad supports with mine for the front. With the bumper on mine I dont really need mine anymore. I just need to see if the orginal support will hang below my bumper. Not sure if it will work with the stock bumper cover. Its probably twice as strong as kevins tow points and half the price.

As for the rear, if you want to wait until I build or buy a rear bumper you can have my setup cheap.

JeepSteeler
12-29-2006, 09:54 AM
I think I could trade you rad supports with mine for the front. With the bumper on mine I dont really need mine anymore. I just need to see if the orginal support will hang below my bumper. Not sure if it will work with the stock bumper cover. Its probably twice as strong as kevins tow points and half the price.

Cool - yeah lemme know. I'm not against trimming the front bumper- it's all cracked at the bottom anyway.

As for the rear, if you want to wait until I build or buy a rear bumper you can have my setup cheap.

I can wait for your setup to become available. I"ll pick up a 2' hitch receiver shackle insert in the meantime. I'm mostly concerned w/ the front right now- but would love to have your rear bumper sometime down the road.

Man that last sentence sounded gay.

mudforblood
12-29-2006, 10:13 AM
The front can be done anytime you want to. The rad will just hang there if you want to take yours off. It will fit in there with out trimming, just dunno if it will line up with the holes for pulling.

It isnt perfect looking but it is strong. I think the original uses four bolts and mine goes further back the rail and gets two more bolts. It has around 2" more ground clearance than stock.

Once you see it we can figure a price out. Just tell me when you want to do it.

gonecheenin
12-29-2006, 11:29 AM
I still have the stock rad support on my 95' that we could pull to facilitate the swapping if that helps any

I don't think theres anything wrong with it from the wreck, didn't push the frame rails back or anything

BTW: I honestly thing the rear hitch is the ticket

I plan on flipping mine to increase ground clearance & deaparture angle then build a new rear bumper right off of the hitch

mudforblood
12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
The only thing I dont like about the hitch is how it mounts. For a trailer you are putting down pressure on 4 weldnuts and the two bolts with washers. The unibody rail is about half the thickness of the hitch steel. Plus on one side the gas filler tube goes right thru the rail above the hitch.

I'll get some pics of whats left of my "frame rail" near the filler tube. It started when I had to back up on a trail and the hitch was dragging, once I got out the hitch was bent down and rail was bent up. I bent it back up with a floor jack with out even lifting the tires off of the ground. After that I couldnt even pull my trailer empty without it bending down. I left it on there for recovery only which did not work either.

I was pulling a log with it and the end of the log hit a small rock. There went the hitch. Thats why I built what I have now. It sandwiches the sheetmetal in 8 different places along the back and up the sides. When I build or buy a bumper it will be modified to mount the same way.

:076: <End Rant>

:biggrin: :024: Note: thats the most I typed all year, only took me an hour.:043:

JeepSteeler
01-04-2007, 09:37 AM
Okay, cool. I'll get under it this weekend and take a look around at the front mounts, then PM you. Thanks!

gonecheenin
01-04-2007, 02:36 PM
gonna beef the hitch mount up when I do mine then

BTW: The core support is off & Mudforblood has it in his possesion

mudforblood
01-04-2007, 02:55 PM
I should have my front support out tonight. I could take it to work tomorrow if you want to check it out.

JeepSteeler
01-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Sorry, I spend most of yesterday at the hospital gettin MRI's and X-rays and poked and prodded, so I didn't get a chance to check this thread.

I'd be game to come over and check it out sometime this weekend...maybe Sunday? And where the hell is Renfrew?

mudforblood
01-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Sorry, I spend most of yesterday at the hospital gettin MRI's and X-rays and poked and prodded, so I didn't get a chance to check this thread.

I'd be game to come over and check it out sometime this weekend...maybe Sunday? And where the hell is Renfrew?

No problem. I did take it off last night. I have with me at work today, in Valencia.

Haha, Renfrew is off of RT 8 south of Butler. Should only be 1/2 hour away for ya.

JeepSteeler
01-08-2007, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the new support bracket MFB! I'm gonna try to find some time to bolt it up this week.

To others: this support bracket is friggin' stout! I'll post some pics during the install process if anyone cares.

mudforblood
01-08-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the new support bracket MFB! I'm gonna try to find some time to bolt it up this week.

To others: this support bracket is friggin' stout! I'll post some pics during the install process if anyone cares.

Thanks for the positive feedback. It's not the best fab job I have done. I needed something fast so I slapped it together quick. Wish I had more time to clean it up better.

It is heavy duty, probably two or three times heavier than original. It has proven it's strength a few times for me.

Get six 3/8" x 1 1/4" grade 8 bolts to mount it with before you start. The stock bolts will be too short.

JeepSteeler
01-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Will do on the bolts!

and remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder....what you see as maybe not cleaned up how you like it....I see as waaaaay better than what I had!

jeepboy95
01-11-2007, 08:14 PM
if u want brand new quadratec has them pretty cheap

mudforblood
01-11-2007, 08:51 PM
if u want brand new quadratec has them pretty cheap

Want what brand new?

JeepSteeler
01-17-2007, 08:47 AM
Want what brand new?

WTF? Not sure what he's talkin' about either.

That thing is still in the gee-rage, haven't had a chance to pick up the hardware as of yet.

Of course I could have got the hardware if I would remember anything when I'm at the store. I got a 2' rod of all-thread (3/8ths) and cut it about 11", and bent a 90 degree angle so it fits into the spare tire carrier mount. Put a nut on the end, then used the puck and plastic nut and wha-la.....it holds a 235/75 - 15.