PDA

View Full Version : Another Pittsburgh Inspection Question (sorry...)

GeneralTso
01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if you need to have both high and low beams working to pass inspection? For that matter, will they pass you if your headlights don't work but your foglights (and all other marker lights) do?
:smt017
The wiring on my CJ is a mess....

Thanks,

Jeff

Bill
01-19-2005, 05:43 PM
Your headlights have to work... both highbeam and lowbeams. Any lights that came on the vehicle from the factory must be fully operational.

Hope that helps.

GeneralTso
01-19-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks, Bill...

I was hoping to put off rewiring until the Spring, but I guess I gotta bite the bullet and do it in the cold!

Thanks for the info!

Jeff

Bill
01-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I didn't think it was going to be good news... :(

JeepGeneral
01-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Also to add, any lights (ie fog lights) installed on the vehicle, even if aftermarket, must work. So basically, if they're there, they either gotta function or be taken off. I'm not sure about things like lights on roof racks or light bars though, have never run into that. Anybody know?

Tom

Bill
01-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Also to add, any lights (ie fog lights) installed on the vehicle, even if aftermarket, must work. So basically, if they're there, they either gotta function or be taken off. I'm not sure about things like lights on roof racks or light bars though, have never run into that. Anybody know?

Tom

I know I don't have a 3rd brake light anymore and I am not sure on if it is going to pass inspection or not. :wink:

I'll tell you at the end of the Summer when I take it into the shop. :D

Cebby
01-19-2005, 07:20 PM
One note about fog/driving lights. I got a warning from the place I used to take my 4Runner to about my PIAA 520's (fogs). I have them wired so they can be on anytime the parking lights are on. Which means I can have them on with parking lights, low beams or high beams. Technically, they are not allowed to work when the high beams are on. Keep that in mind.

I don't think that's accurate on the aftermarket lights having to work though. Maybe that one's an interpretation issue.

JeepGeneral
01-19-2005, 09:27 PM
I don't think that's accurate on the aftermarket lights having to work though. Maybe that one's an interpretation issue.

That is quite possible, but I know that is the policy at our dealership, I assumed it was universal. As far as third brake light, I think most shops won't notice it's supposed to be there.

Bill
01-19-2005, 09:30 PM
As far as third brake light, I think most shops won't notice it's supposed to be there.

Thats what I am hoping!

YJBeef
01-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Hey Bill, rule is.....If it's there, it's gotta work............If it ain't there, Doesnt have to, well cause it ain't there!!!

MF Steve!
01-20-2005, 03:37 AM
anything factory must work. high beams, low beams, all parking and marker lamps, fog lamps (not in combination w/ high beams) 3rd brake light is not mandatory, any aftermarket lighting must be properly wired in to your low beams, and cannot function with the high beams. it must also be covered at all times when driving on road. along with that, anything above your headlights is considered illegal, unless completely covered, while driving on road.

the mt. lebanon cops despise me, my hella free forms, and my hella 500s on my winshield. they told me to never drive through mt. lebanon, and gave me a nice ticket too...

HydroTech
01-20-2005, 08:37 AM
On the subject of inspection. I have heard that if your check engine light is on it will not pass until you correct the problem. In other words, if they run the codes (OBDII) and there is a hit, instant fail. No matter what the problem is. Anyone else here of this.

JeepGeneral
01-20-2005, 11:53 AM
On the subject of inspection. I have heard that if your check engine light is on it will not pass until you correct the problem. In other words, if they run the codes (OBDII) and there is a hit, instant fail. No matter what the problem is. Anyone else here of this.

That is correct, it will pass inspection with the light on I believe, however it will not run through the emissions machine that way.

As far as aftermarket fog lights that aren't wired into the low beams, I thought you could get around that with a switch that lights up when they're on.

Tom

MF Steve!
01-20-2005, 07:38 PM
go to the penndot website. all of the legality issues are there...i cant remember exactly where, but if i find it, ill edit the post w/ a link...

OverkillZJ
01-20-2005, 10:13 PM
go to the penndot website. all of the legality issues are there...i cant remember exactly where, but if i find it, ill edit the post w/ a link...\

I learned some intersting things on that site. Such as: It's illegal for me to drive without my doors off (I do it anyway) since they came factory equipped (it's technically an option / package on TJ's) - but if I cut the roof of and make it a "convertible" then I can drive without doors.

So... Street legal buggy anyone? :lol:

TimMichaels
01-21-2005, 12:03 AM
Get it inspected at WC Auto out in the tiny little town of Gibbon Glade. Its run in the backyard of one of those mountain hillbilly families with 100+ broken down cars in their yard and big beater pick up trucks. Somehow they have a license to do state inspections...

bbaker80
01-21-2005, 11:51 PM
PA vehicle code can be found here:

http://www.pacode.com/index.html

LordAthens
01-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Most inspectors won't even bother plugging into the emissions machine if there is a code thrown. Also, just resetting the code won't do either. The machines look for a certain number of driven miles and engine start \ stop sequences. (Tis amazing the amount that can be learned when your uncle is a state inspector)

As for the lights.. Go to a smaller garage and they won't care about the fogs being on.

As long as your horn works, brakes are good, low + high beams work (independantly) and your tires are good, you'll pass the physical inspection. Oh, and turn signals.

I've done a few physical inspections for him and really all of the above is what he looks for.

With the new emissions machines, there simply isn't any getting around them. :(

GeneralTso
01-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm happy to report that I finally got the hi/low beam wiring fiasco figured out!

:supz: