PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!!!--Two Stroker Engines To Choose From

Resq7117
05-04-2014, 09:32 AM
I am starting a survey on which one of these motors would be my best option when it comes to value. I work in EMS so my pay isnt the greatest, I also have two teenagers with a daughter preparing for college in a year but I need a new motor for the Jeep. I wouldnt be too concerned with fixing it right now but there are too many people that rely on me plowing their driveways and parking lots in the winter and I dont want to lose that business come next winter.

So anyways, here are two options I recenetly found:

1)4.6L 6-cyl. engine (4.0L long block bored & stroked) for TJ Wrangler
270 HP/300 Ft. Lbs torque
9.5:1 compression
3.895" stroker crank
Forged pistons (bored 0.030" over)
Eagle SIR free-floating high performance rods (6.125")
Crane #753905 competition camshaft, 260 deg. I/272 deg. E duration, .456"/.485" lift
Big valve cylinder head (2.02" intake/1.60" exhaust)
2001 intake manifold
Cloyes double-row timing chain
Needs camshaft installed
$950

This motor is approximately 500 miles from my house, truck gets 12 MPG highway, so 1000 miles round trip, 84 Gallons, $300 in gas, $1250 total.

2)For sale here is a spare engine that I had for a buggy. This is a 4.5 stroker engine that was used once since built as a spare for a race in an off road buggy. I received this engine when I purchased the buggy, but have since sold the buggy and have no need for the spare. I do not know the milage on the engine before the stroker kit was installed but do have some specs from the previous owner;
- Comp Cam - 68-231-4
- Comp Cams - Lifters
- Comp Cams - Timing set
- Comp Cams - valve springs
- 97 Block
- 84 (4) counterweight crank
- (707) Rods (best short rod pick)
- 97 (630) Head
- Stock pistons
$500

This motor is about 530 miles from my house, so same mileage, same in gas, so total $800.

I have two 4.0Ls at home but thinking between machining and parts I would have about $1500-$1800 doing all the teardown and assembly work myself to make a decent stroker, I am planning on keeping my YJ many more years so I dont just want to go stock but cant afford an extreme motor build. It is a daily driver, it plows snow for me in the winter, and I run it through the woods/mud/etc in the summer. It is a moderate lift, 33s, 456 gears, Quadratech winch, installing trail gear tube fenders/rock sliders and rear body armor while we are doing the motor install, so it is very capable off road.

Let the voting begin!

gonecheenin
05-05-2014, 06:32 AM
If you don't buy the second one I would! Any time an engine needs a camshaft replacement I worry about what else it needs (people today just REFUSE to run the right high zinc oil in their engines).

dan58
05-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Neither. Go with a bone stock replacement. I've yet to see a stroker that runs trouble free for DD use. The simplicity and reliability of a stock 4.0 is why they are one of the best made.

justin'sbig7
05-05-2014, 06:46 AM
I just priced up a job to rebuild a 258, all the macine shop work came out to almost 1k (boiled, fluxed, head work with new valves, boring, etc) a basic rebuild kit was 375, cam and lifters were expensive close to 400 pistons were another 350 or so. With a reman engine being in the $1600 range and comes with a warranty, rebuild is silly IMHO.

What would worry me about the above engines is that you have no idea who did it or how they were put together, and how they were used. The second being a spare for a buggy that was used once... Why did the first one blow up, how hard were they pounding on it and how hard did the backup engine get run without a proper break in?

I have not run one of the strokers but to me it seemed like a lot of time, work and energy spent for not a ton gained. 2k2wranglerx on here had one and iirc it was a tad touchy or something. He would be the guy to talk to

Remember too that you will likely need a reprogram and some mapping done too for the electronics.

I would vote stock crate engine for your application honestly.