PDA

View Full Version : TJ fender flares removal...

hyperbuzzin
06-01-2014, 05:01 PM
In getting ready for the Bantam Festival, I scored a 4 piece set of Sahara Fender Flares for $20 :023:
The stock front ones each had 3 riv-nuts at the bottom rear that just spun when trying to remove them :119:. All the others just had plastic nuts that were easily held by hand to remove.

Can any one tell me if all the rear ones are held on with the P.O.S. riv-nuts? If so, whats the best/easiest way to remove them?

tjblair
06-01-2014, 09:09 PM
Iirc the rear ones don't use rivnuts. But I could be wrong. Been a while since I did flares on a tj/LJ. I have some of the stock style rivnuts if you need to replace any.

hyperbuzzin
06-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Iirc the rear ones don't use rivnuts. But I could be wrong. Been a while since I did flares on a tj/LJ. I have some of the stock style rivnuts if you need to replace any.

Thanks for the offer Jeff, but if they do have the riv-nuts, once I do get them off I don't plan on using those again. I'll use the same plastic nut type thing-a-ma-bob used on most of the front ones. I still have a bunch of those that I think I got off you with the flares I bought from ya quite awhile ago.
Guess if it is the riv-nuts I have to deal with, I'll just take a grinder to the bolt head (looks like I should be able to get maybe a 4" one under the flare), remove the flares, then grind them outta the fenders.

For now, I'll just have to drive around with front, wider, gloss black ones and the stock, narrow, not quite black ones in the rear!! LOL

wj lizard
06-02-2014, 03:46 PM
I did a set on a buddies TJ had the same issue. I took and ground down a set of craftsman needle nose pliers almost flat to get in there and grab the lip of the nutsert after that you can break off the rest and take it back....I also ground down a flat blade screwdriver and cut a v in the blade so I had points on either end and used that to hold that nut sert