PDA

View Full Version : 05 Jeep Rubicon Problem: Help!

JP101
06-15-2014, 12:52 PM
I'm having some trouble with my Jeep. Any time my clutch isn't depressed, my clutch? makes a ticking sound. As soon as I press the clutch in, it stops. It even makes the sound if I am in gear.

I have no issues shifting, and all gears work properly. I've had to replace the clutch before, and this is different.

I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 4.0L, 6-speed manual. I only have 55k miles on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liUZj3fgheA

Thank you!

P.S--If you think you can fix it, I'll offer free beer and pizza. I am awful when it comes to mechanical work.

john00TJ
06-15-2014, 02:19 PM
noisy throw out bearing maybe ..

JP101
06-15-2014, 04:06 PM
noisy throw out bearing maybe ..

Wouldn't it make the noise when the clutch was engaged, instead of the other way around? Is that an easy fix?

JP101
06-15-2014, 06:15 PM
I'm also having an issue with fuel spit back. Every time I refill my tank, the pump kicks off and fuel shoots everywhere. Not sure what I need to replace here, but I will need help again.

Willing to to pay as well as provide free beer and pizzas.

DMG
06-15-2014, 07:48 PM
I'm also having an issue with fuel spit back. Every time I refill my tank, the pump kicks off and fuel shoots everywhere. Not sure what I need to replace here, but I will need help again.

Willing to to pay as well as provide free beer and pizzas.

I believe there is a recall for this.

The other is possibly an input bearing. Does it do it with the transfer case in neutral and the clutch out in gear?

JP101
06-15-2014, 08:25 PM
The recall doesn't cover my year. Not sure about when it's in neutral. I know it does it every other time, unless I have the clutch engaged. I'll have to check...

It takes about 10 minutes of driving before it starts. From the few minutes I was out there, it started when I put the slights bit of pressure on the clutch pedal...even when I put the transfer case in neutral. (There was also a slight grinding when I moved it from 2W, to 4L, N, and 4H)

I just noticed the original YouTube clip I posted didn't work. Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liUZj3fgheA

JP101
06-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Well. I took it to the brother of a coworker at a local Midas to get everything fixed. It seems I need a new throwout bearing (what I initially thought), clutch and a few other things.

Next, I'll be in the market for a new gas tank. Great.

2002wranglerX
06-16-2014, 08:15 PM
Leave it alone till it goes. It's pretty normal to hear what sounds like marbles rolling around in a coffee can. A new throw out bearing is going to end up doing the same thing again eventually.

tjblair
06-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Throw out doesn't make sence. You were right in thinking that it should make noise when the clutch is depressed if it were the throwout. My guess is you broke a cover plate bolt. And now some of the belvil spring fingers are making your "ticking" sound. Should be easy to ckeck. Just pull the inspection plate and take a look. Might just even find the broken bolt head in there too.

88wd21
06-16-2014, 09:18 PM
What it's worth on the fuel spitback, I had an 08ish Liberty come in that had the spitback issue and gas cap code that ended up being a plastic EVAP line that ran under the battery tray that was eaten away (like an old battery leaked on it and are a 3/4-1 inch section of it away). May have been a fluke and I had the 1 in a million one that was simple but that was over a year ago and the customer has been back for other maintenance and all has been well with that issue.

2002wranglerX
06-17-2014, 06:23 AM
I know in the nv3550 the tob makes noise when the clutch is released. And if you put just slight pressure on it it goes quiet. It's pretty common. The jks are known for it too.