PDA

View Full Version : Anyone into Backpacking / Camping?

Deadman 94 xj
06-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Anyone into backpacking? This is something I really want to get into but I don't know anyone that is willing to rough it. I'd be basically starting from scratch as far as locations and regulations go.

Thanks

always broke
06-17-2014, 08:21 PM
I'd go. I have all the stuff from when we did a small trip to Colorado a few years ago. I'd like mainly to do some all day or one night trips. Weather doesn't matter, even winter would be cool. I had big plans when I bought all the stuff but free weekends are scarce and beer is good.

Deadman 94 xj
06-17-2014, 08:44 PM
I'd go. I have all the stuff from when we did a small trip to Colorado a few years ago. I'd like mainly to do some all day or one night trips. Weather doesn't matter, even winter would be cool. I had big plans when I bought all the stuff but free weekends are scarce and beer is good.

My biggest thing is finding people to go with. I'm atracted to the least amount of gear possible and just being in the woods away from everything. I thought PA might be kinda lame in that regaurd but the more I read the forums it seems like people envy us. AT trail, etc. I'm still learning but there seems to be a lot of 50 mile plus trail systems, etc., right in our state. Beer is GREAT but I'd love to get away without it sometime. I've been looking into those meetup.com groups since most of my friends are lame but don't know what to expect.

Personally I'd want to go with the wife but she's incapacitaded for a while. I will go myself a few times but that's not the safest.
'

Super Scout
06-17-2014, 08:59 PM
I'd go aslong as I can drive there hehehehehe

Deadman 94 xj
06-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Good to know. lol

justin'sbig7
06-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Lame friends huh?

You'll have kids here shortly too lol!
:flipoff2:

2002wranglerX
06-18-2014, 12:57 AM
My biggest thing is finding people to go with. I'm atracted to the least amount of gear possible and just being in the woods away from everything. I thought PA might be kinda lame in that regaurd but the more I read the forums it seems like people envy us. AT trail, etc. I'm still learning but there seems to be a lot of 50 mile plus trail systems, etc., right in our state. Beer is GREAT but I'd love to get away without it sometime. I've been looking into those meetup.com groups since most of my friends are lame but don't know what to expect.

Personally I'd want to go with the wife but she's incapacitaded for a while. I will go myself a few times but that's not the safest.
'

I used to do the meet up.com stuff with kayaking. Had a blast.

But you know you're a few years late on this right? You're done. You are about to be on permanent lock down.

Get away from it all for a weekend. HA! Oh she will find you. And she will tell you about how shitty her day was. And how the dog puked and there was a poop explosion and she's on her you know...

And then the guilt will start...

No my friend. Life as you know it is going to change. Free time will come in short and sometimes random intervals.

The_War_Wagon
06-18-2014, 01:55 AM
Are you having a son? By age 7, he'll be WANTING to do things like that with you. By age 10, he'll actually be able to even do the hiking & backpacking.

In the meantime, you'd best combine camping with wheeling. Wheel all day Saturday, and maybe do some sightseeing-hiking on Sundays, for a weekend outing.

wj lizard
06-18-2014, 01:56 AM
^x2

2002wranglerX
06-18-2014, 06:32 AM
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i199/46willys/IMG_33567319023382.jpeg (http://s72.photobucket.com/user/46willys/media/IMG_33567319023382.jpeg.html)

always broke
06-18-2014, 07:56 AM

'

my girlfriend used those meet up groups for stuff before. I'm not a big fan of strangers though. We bought a book, 50 hikes within 60 miles of Pittsburgh and have been doing day trips out of there. There are hundreds of miles of trails in the laurel highlands and the north country trail up north. You only need about 10 lbs of stuff to live for a few days comfortably.

PatF10
06-18-2014, 08:05 AM
I used to backpack a good bit. Was a guide of sorts out in new mexico for a summer. Basically don't do it anymore for the same reason of not many people actually want to rough it and backpack.

BAD_GNR
06-18-2014, 08:06 AM
I used to be an avid backpacker and still go on occasion. See if you can get the wife into it - Dustie loves it, but she's "incapacitated" right now as well.

The Laurel Highlands trail (what we run as the Ligonier trails) is a great starter trail - since there are designated camp areas, the trails very easy, pretty level, and you don't need a tent if you use the shacks they have. The only downside there is you have to make reservations. You can go from Seward (near the BiLo) down to Ohiopyle.

There are a lot of trails up in the ANF too, up by Clear Creek, Cooks Forest, etc.

My favorites "in the area" are Cranberry Glades and Otter Creek - both down in WV. These are Wilderness areas - we don't have any in PA - places where you go in and basically do whatever you want, but no machinery, bikes, cars, quads allowed. I've gone for 3-4 days down there without seeing another person.

If you need gear, don't do REI, they're overpriced and undereducated. I've always used campmor.com, but go to REI to try out the gear.

Personally, I try to avoid July/August/September trips as it gets too hot carrying a pack. Spring and Fall are nice because it's not too hot and everything's green. I enjoy the creek trails a lot more than the mountain type trails; they're generally flatter, have more water available (don't have to carry as much), you can usually swim, I think they're more scenic, and they always offer more diversity/interest as you can climb up out of the valley if you want a mountain type trail. Winter backpacking is awesome - after about 15 minutes you can be walking around in shorts and boots and feel perfectly comfortable even though it may be 15 degrees - until you stop for the night.

2002wranglerX
06-18-2014, 09:00 AM
my favorite primitive camping BY FAR is the upper allegheny by kayak. paddle 15 miles or so. find a nice island. set up camp for the night. finish up with a 10-15 mile day 2.

it's fun, it's relaxing, it's quiet. you barely see anyone. there's places you can pull up if you would need something. TONS of wildlife. you don't have to carry your stuff. you can carry a few hundred pounds if you needed to in the kayak. You can fish the whole time and if you're successful cook it for dinner. etc etc etc

Lots of fun.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/1910170_1177336921509_3373506_n.jpg

that was a day trip with meetup.com to the packsaddle gap. but our camping trips were similar. but with less people...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/1910170_1177336961510_7707350_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/1910170_1177337001511_5944566_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/1910170_1177337121514_6129254_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/1910170_1177337081513_648401_n.jpg

once i started doing those trips i didn't bother backpacking anymore. But hey, if you want to lug your crap and sweat your balls off swatting mosquitoes have at it :)

PatF10
06-18-2014, 11:34 AM
ill agree on that island camping up there is a blast

BAD_GNR
06-18-2014, 01:11 PM
I've done many canoe/kayak camping trips, they're fun don't get me wrong.

There's just something about carrying any shit you take that makes camping that much more enjoyable, the beer that much colder, etc.

Deadman 94 xj
06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
This is good stuff! I'm having a boy and look forward to when I can get out with him but I'd like to have a few good trails under my belt before hand. I've got a lot going on this summer but I'm also starting from scratch so it'll give me time to navagate and research gear, maps,...hell I don't even own a good compass. I agree on the creek trails and the time of year. Thanks

Justin, you're idea of roughing it is the hilton on wheels :082:

Ryan, ...dick.

Also good to know people have actually done the meetup thing and not been raped.

The_War_Wagon
06-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Start small. Hike Moraine State Park. Don't try to be Lewis AND Clark your first time out. The Northwest Passage will still be there when your son turns 14. :icon_pai:

2002wranglerX
06-18-2014, 01:39 PM
This is good stuff! I'm having a boy and look forward to when I can get out with him but I'd like to have a few good trails under my belt before hand. I've got a lot going on this summer but I'm also starting from scratch so it'll give me time to navagate and research gear, maps,...hell I don't even own a good compass. I agree on the creek trails and the time of year. Thanks

Ryan, ...dick.

Also good to know people have actually done the meetup thing and not been raped.

woah woah woah. why am I the dick? lol

Deadman 94 xj
06-18-2014, 07:44 PM
woah woah woah. why am I the dick? lol

Hmmmm... lol

:102:

justin'sbig7
06-19-2014, 04:04 AM

Not at all. That's my idea of living it up away from home lol!

I have roughed it before and always wanted to do the backpacking thing when I was younger but people thought I was nuts. Now, sleeping on the ground makes it tough to move the next day so i tend to avoid the tent on the ground stuff

gonecheenin
06-19-2014, 06:15 AM
Yep - Sleeping on the ground sucks. Only time I ever enjoyed sleeping in a tent is when I set mine up on Trailerrails Jeep trailer at Big Dogs so it was nice & flat with no rocks!!!

We do love getting away from everybody and everything, but we like doing it within a days hike from the Dually with a heater and soft bed! Trust me, though comfy with a few conveniences a truck camper is still roughing it (comparatively speaking anyway)!

Ever since I found that almost all our state forests offer free camping areas all year round, with nothing more than a phone call for some info so they know your gonna be there, those have been our favorite destinations, setup camp in the middle of nowhere - hike, explore, hang out by the fire, etc....Good stuff.

BAD_GNR
06-19-2014, 07:58 AM
I'd be hesitant to try my first outing at Moraine.

I did that portion of the North Country Trail about ten years ago and it was a mistake. There's one camping spot within Moraine State Park that you're permitted to use, and anything within the park or McConnell's Mill is illegal. Trust me, I tried. We got kicked out of both parks by park rangers who then called state police when the camping area was being used. There's just no where else to camp. You can try and just go in and hope not to get noticed, but it didn't work for us.

Laurel Highlands is a great beginner's trail; it's about 7 miles between each camp area and relatively flat (except at the ends). The camp areas are a bit civilized for my liking, but still a lot more primitive than state park camping. The only drawback is if that's too much for you to handle, you're kind of stuck because water's few and far between most camp areas.

Anytime that I've taken someone for a first trip, I'd go to a wilderness area - there's no set camping areas, so if things don't go so well, or someone's ***** starts hurting them, you can just plop down and set up camp wherever. You just need to have some clue as to how to handle yourself in the wild, as these places are really out in the middle of nowhere.

Deadman 94 xj
06-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Tent camping, campgrounds, camper camping all have there place but its not the point of the thread. Everyone has a preference. I prefer sleeping in a tent to most things because to me that's camping and just what I like. I even make fun of friend's that bring air mattresses.

What I'm talking about here is going out with as little gear possible and making it work with only your own two feet. Things like dehydrating food to save weight, boiling stream water, etc. I don't even know if I want a tent. People use tarps and setup lean-to's and stuff like that. Hamock. Basically take away everything that you're used to and have to use what's out there to survive...it's appealing to me.

I agree about the state parks. From what I've read there are a lot of stupid rules and regulations in PA about where you can actually camp and for how long.

OverkillZJ
06-19-2014, 10:33 AM
I need to do something to get outdoors more... Jeeping, camping, rafting, holy crap I've turned into a workoholic office dweller!

2002wranglerX
06-19-2014, 10:41 AM
http://www.dadsdistracted.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/exausted-dad-w-baby.jpg

this guy can't wait to go sleep in the woods...

2002wranglerX
06-19-2014, 10:44 AM
"sure sweetie, go ahead and go camping for the weekend. Just leave me here. i'll get up every 3 hours to feed the baby, clean up the puke, clean the house, make dinner, give the child a bath, take care of the laundry, etc"

http://awordywoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/tired-mom.jpg

said no new mom ever

J.M.
06-19-2014, 10:49 AM
I take my family (wife and 2 kids) on camping+hiking trips a lot. The best trip was to the Adirondacks high peak area. We did 8-10 hour hikes each day with the little one (2) hiking for an hour, taking 2 hour nap in the backpack, then repeat. The 6 year old ran all the way. We setup camp in a campground but spend most of our time on the trails. Almost like backpacking, but with a base camp for the night. A good spot for that is also Bald Eagle State Forest, PA. Some legal 4x4 trails, wilderness area, tons of trails for hiking. You can also setup camp 'wherever you want' as long as you register and follow certain rules.
That may be a good way to get started, and it works even with babies.

J.M.

OverkillZJ
06-19-2014, 11:01 AM
"sure sweetie, go ahead and go camping for the weekend. Just leave me here. i'll get up every 3 hours to feed the baby, clean up the puke, clean the house, make dinner, give the child a bath, take care of the laundry, etc"

said no new mom ever

Maybe I'm lucky, but I really can. The grandmas are making dinner, I hired the wife a cleaning lady - and since I work 7-7 daily, and she is breastfeeding, she hasn't seen the reason for me to get up and suffer every night. If camping makes me happy, the response will be "go for it" just give me a weekend some time too.

2002wranglerX
06-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Maybe I'm lucky, but I really can. The grandmas are making dinner, I hired the wife a cleaning lady - and since I work 7-7 daily, and she is breastfeeding, she hasn't seen the reason for me to get up and suffer every night. If camping makes me happy, the response will be "go for it" just give me a weekend some time too.

dude. matt. you're killing me here. :)

i'd venture that most of our wives are pretty cool. given our hobby of choice. mine is.

but come on. you're missing a golden opportunity to give tom a hard time!

BAD_GNR
06-19-2014, 12:31 PM
I'm not big on the dehydrated food; to me it's worth the extra weight to have a good meal after a long hike. I like pastas (carbs are good) and prepackaged stuff like stuffing, mac n cheese, etc. Beef jerky can be added for flavor.

For water, I've got a PUR filter that will kill just about anything, and it weighs around 10oz. I recommend (before investing in anything in case backpacking isn't your cup of tea) trying out iodine pills, just because you don't always know how easily you'll come across water and be able to boil water.

I take a tent usually, I've got a four season one that weighs just under 6lbs, and a three season for summer that's about 4.5.

The most important piece of equipment, in my opinion, is boots. Get something good and comfortable. Everything else is a luxury.

As long as you're comfortable with wildlife, I'd highly recommend the wilderness areas down in WV. There's Dolly Sods as well, but it seems to be much more popular than the other two I listed. Otter Creek is about 15 minutes from Blackwater Falls and Canaan Valley, if you know where that is. Cranberry Glades is the biggest wilderness area east of the Mississippi, and is about 2 hours south of Morgantown.

Deadman 94 xj
06-19-2014, 06:13 PM
LMAO!

Thanks for the suggestions. Great info!

Meeke
06-20-2014, 07:24 AM
http://www.dadsdistracted.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/exausted-dad-w-baby.jpg

http://awordywoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/tired-mom.jpg

said no new mom ever

This is exactly my life right now. 9 month old who is teething. He screams like a banshee every time you put him down. I went outside to work on my truck after i cooked dinner and cleaned it up. I thought my wife was going to break into my gun safe and come after me. She acted like i left her alone on a deserted island with the little monster. I haven't slept in almost a year.

2002wranglerX
06-20-2014, 07:38 AM

This is exactly my life right now. 9 month old who is teething. He screams like a banshee every time you put him down. I went outside to work on my truck after i cooked dinner and cleaned it up. I thought my wife was going to break into my gun safe and come after me. She acted like i left her alone on a deserted island with the little monster. I haven't slept in almost a year.

LOL! coffee is your friend :)

i only laugh because lots of us have been there.

The_War_Wagon
06-20-2014, 08:05 AM

Wait'll you have twins. :099:

And four of them, under the age of 5. :088:

DMG
06-20-2014, 08:06 AM
I used to go backpacking but haven't in a while. The last place we went was up near Laurel Caverns. French something.

Deadman 94 xj
06-20-2014, 07:02 PM

Soooo basically what you guys are saying is I won't be able to get away for the weekend?

LOL...**** me.

Sycotik Skier
06-20-2014, 07:30 PM
My son is almost 8 weeks now. I'm fortunate that his grandparents fight over who gets to watch him but my wife can't be away for a whole day.

Meeke
06-20-2014, 10:24 PM
No.

Bax
06-23-2014, 09:22 AM
I am a member of the explorers club of Pittsburgh they are a fun group that does just about everything outdoors. they have a Backpacking school in the fall that is 3 weeks long for $40 http://www.pittecp.org/content/backpacking-school
It is a good intro into backpacking if you don't know anything.

MechanicalMayham
06-29-2014, 06:46 PM
I go with a hammock. There are plenty of trails available. As stated, start small few hours out set up and come back next day. See what works. Learn your equipment and how to care for it. Going with someone who knows what they are doing is fun. You will learn tons. Got my neighbor into it. REI in Robinson has some knowledgeable people. Look for the tall chubby chick, can't remember her name off hand. She uses a lot of the gear and goes trekking part of the year. She loves Big Agnes stuff. She will hook you up with some smarts.
Check out North Country Trail and Moraine or even McConnells mills or Cooks forest. Plenty of good trails there. Allegheny National forest and up near Kinzua are some good remote hide aways. I have a place up in Tionesta me and my friends use as base camp and venture all over.

Bax, got a link to them?

Trestle up Kinzua
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/mechanicalmayham/334.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/mechanicalmayham/media/334.jpg.html)

Last year up Tionesta
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/mechanicalmayham/hammock_zpse19f26bb.jpg (http://s38.photobucket.com/user/mechanicalmayham/media/hammock_zpse19f26bb.jpg.html)

Deadman 94 xj
06-29-2014, 11:56 PM
Nice setup. Is that a dog in the hammock on the right?

Azzy
06-30-2014, 01:20 AM
I thought about a hammock for taking out on the motorcycle, but decided on a good light cot. I got an Alghash Plus, it fold up small, and fits in a tent with no problem. There are soem great motorcycle ones that are super small / strong, but cost a bit more.

https://www.byerofmaine.com/products/camp-furniture/portable-cot.html
or

http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html

Now that the munchkin is here, my wife is interested in camping the way her parents used to... with a trailer. But i still got the tents for some getaways.

Ragnorox
07-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Buy a freaking Kayak already Tom.......then lets go!

joshs1ofakindxj
07-23-2014, 05:05 PM
never...having...kids...!

you guys make it sound horrible.

The_War_Wagon
07-23-2014, 08:11 PM
never...having...kids...!

you guys make it sound horrible.

It's fun ONCE a year.

April 15. :040:

ridgerunner97
07-23-2014, 09:47 PM
^ Hardly since your costs are more with more to care for. I'm on board with Josh for the foreseeable future :023:

The_War_Wagon
07-24-2014, 12:20 AM
^ Hardly since your costs are more with more to care for. I'm on board with Josh for the foreseeable future :023:

Yeah, but once you HAVE them, you can't give 'em BACK!!! So April 15th it is! :002: