PDA

View Full Version : P0432.... bad cat, OČ??? Opinions...

hyperbuzzin
11-21-2014, 04:55 PM
So, my 04 Unlimited threw a P0432 code.
A web search is pretty much split between the cat or the OČ sensor.
Here's what's going on...
CEL, loss of power, knocking when I try to pick up speed at highway speed and it seems as though mileage has gone down.
So, whats those who know think? Any suggestions on where to get a decent cat or OČ sensor at a reasonable price?

highlandercj-7
11-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Daveys jeeps sells O2 sensors for 5.00. As for the Cat, I bought one for my Ram at Advance that was a direct fit version. It was a perfect copy of the original and no issues. That said Mopar had major issues with their cat's I found out rite after ward that it was covered under a recall. If I would have had a garage replace it I could have been reimbursed. So I'd check and see if there are any recalls. I think it went something like if it's under 100k or 150k and it fails they replaced it.

hyperbuzzin
11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Hmm... I'll have to look into the recall thing. If it's the 100k, that's out (I'm at 104k)
I did check the Jeep website for recall info and came up with "No Outstanding Recalls or Customer Satisfaction Notifications Exist."
At $5 for Davey's sensors it's worth a shot, but I'm thinking with the loss of power issue the cat is bad.
Was the Advance cat weld in or clamps?

joe_and_jeep
11-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Punch it out and throw on a spark plug non fouler lol It actually does work, but I dunno if I'd be hollowing cats on a nice car.

dontlookdown
11-24-2014, 08:20 AM
I had the same symptoms with the loss of power and CEL (I think I had the same code). I ended up changing the cat, put on a banks monster exhaust, and I had to do new downstream o2 sensors because I could not get them out.

cat - rock auto -- $300
Banks Monster exhaust -- autoanything --$200
o2 sensors-- napa- $40 each

I chose to do this install myself, because I stopped at Monroe for a quote, and they wanted $1700!! for the cat / stock exhaust w/ install.

hyperbuzzin
11-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Advance has a Walker universal fit cat for $135. Might try that route.

hyperbuzzin
11-24-2014, 06:20 PM
So... who can tell me how tough of a job it is to pull the cat? Would it be easier to do the entire pipe.... manifold to muffler.
Either way.... it's looking like I'll finally have a reason to put my belly-up skid on now!! LOL

Dragonslayer
11-27-2014, 05:21 AM
If you have a torch, it isn't too bad. I put a Walker direct fit on my '01 a couple years ago and it does just fine.
If you have any small "mom & pop" parts stores around you, check with them for a cat. Usually can get better
pricing than the big box stores like Advance and AutoZone.

DMG
11-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Your jeep has 2 cats right below the manifold and the cat above the belly pan. I have seen a lot of jeeps never throw a check engine light when the cat above the belly pan is replaced with a piece of pipe. Or if you have long arms the muffler can be moved up there, if you do it right.

As Joe said, get the longest anti-fouler with the right thread size from the help section at Advance or Autozone, drill it out so the O2 sensor threads into it and use it as a spacer.

hyperbuzzin
11-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Thanks guys.
Don't have a torch. Just a sawzall. I do have a welder, but am leaning towards clamps.
I had thought about just ditching the cat all together with living in Butler Co. But even though they don't have emissions inspection... if it was there from the factory, it's gotta be there for safety inspection. So.... I could just gut it and be ok.
Still have a couple other places to check for something less expensive.

hyperbuzzin
12-10-2014, 05:41 PM
OK.... so I should have some time coming up to finally work on the Jeep.
One last question before I buy a cat.... Would the loss of power be a very good indication that the cat is what's bad, or could a bad OČ sensor do that also?

DMG
12-10-2014, 11:19 PM
The cat could plug up and cause a loss of power. The upstream sensor could cause a loss of power, the downstream can't.

hyperbuzzin
12-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Thanks. Is there anything that would possibly exclude one or the other from being the problem or something that would point more towards the problem part?
The loss of power is only when going up hills. The Jeep seems to run perfectly fine otherwise. Unless I'm cruising along and step hard on the gas.... then there's no power/pickup and sounds like major valve tap.
I'm hoping I'll be able to use my stepdaughters garage to work on this. If not.... it's gonna be outside in the driveway and I'd rather spend as little time as possible doing that.

Why couldn't this have happened when it's warmer out!!?? :076:

DMG
12-12-2014, 10:55 AM
If you are getting pinging under load it could simply be that you are running lean. A partially clogged fuel filter, weak fuel pump, bad map sensor or O2 sensor could cause a lean condition. Or an intake leak.

It is starting to sound like you may have two separate issues.

Do you have access to a scanner? A fuel pressure gauge?

hyperbuzzin
12-13-2014, 03:58 PM
It is starting to sound like you may have two separate issues.

Do you have access to a scanner? A fuel pressure gauge?
Should be able to use a buddies scanner, which I believe is the type that doesn't just read the code...
Not sure about the pressure gauge though.
Would running lean still give me a loss of mileage? Although.... I'm kinda thinking that may just be winter blend gas?

hyperbuzzin
12-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Well... It was a plugged cat. Driving to work yesterday morning, the Jeep wouldn't go over 25mph up hill. Had to do something for sure now.
A guy at work suggested a shop just down the road (John Brown, off Meridian Road in Butler)
After work, he got me in on the spot. Cut out the old cat and welded in a universal one. Less the 2 hours and I was back on the road with the Jeep running the way it should be and with my wallet only $200 lighter!!

2002wranglerX
12-24-2014, 07:11 PM
John brown has done lots of exhaust work for me over the years. Good work for the $