PDA

View Full Version : Remote Starter

jackb1
01-19-2015, 02:17 PM
I'm getting a new vehicle and want to add remote start. (It just left port on the carrier so they couldn't add it 'factory' and the dealership wants $620 for a factory install)

I think I want to start it with my iphone but could be talked out of this. It just seems like a great option for the wife to start her car before she gets on her shuttle and cellular is probably the only way that will work as its about or a bit over a mile with lots of large buildings in the way.

Other than that, I don't really know much. I see a lot of small shops (the type you see for a month, then they're gone) advertising remote starters. I suspect I could do a better install than a lot of these places.

Anybody local that does good work? I'm hoping for a plug-in system but if that isn't possible, I'd want a place that is going to do it right and not use a bunch of quick taps. Best Buy?

So far Viper is the only thing I'm seeing on google that looks nice but their website doesn't have any pricing. Compustar looks nice too, but the range is questionable for my needs and that seems like the only advantage over the cheaper systems.

Thanks

hyperbuzzin
01-19-2015, 04:41 PM
My step daughter got hers done at Best Buy and, although I never really look at the install, she never had any problems with it.
Not sure on what the total cost was.

PatF10
01-19-2015, 07:24 PM
i just got one for my f150 through amazon. It probably took me 30 minutes to install and that included watching the youtube video about it. IT has a t harness and two connections into the OBD port. Super easy. might be something available for your car. Also i have no extra FOBs i just hit lock 3 times and it starts right up. It only cost about $125. I guess because the truck is basically equipped to have it as an option its very easy to add.

jackb1
01-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Pat, do you know what brand you bought? Plug and play and not having any extra key fob is great. Although since the factory Toyota remote even requires a reflash, I'm doubtful others won't also.

PatF10
01-20-2015, 10:04 AM
this is basically what I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Start-2011-2014-Remotes-T-Harness/dp/B00K109YTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421762476&sr=8-1&keywords=f150+remote+start

here is the video of the install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0dM2d9UEtk

Was really easy few steps, put both keys in the ignition and its done. I don't know if they have ones that allow the smart phone app, that wasn't something I was looking for. So far im happy with it, just gotta remember to turn the heater on before you get out.

dan58
01-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Try TruckNStuff. They'd be able to do it. A lot rides on the brand of vehicle. VW is notoriously painful.

redbank
01-13-2016, 03:33 PM
this is basically what I bought.
http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Start-2011-2014-Remotes-T-Harness/dp/B00K109YTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421762476&sr=8-1&keywords=f150+remote+start

here is the video of the install.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0dM2d9UEtk

Was really easy few steps, put both keys in the ignition and its done. I don't know if they have ones that allow the smart phone app, that wasn't something I was looking for. So far im happy with it, just gotta remember to turn the heater on before you get out.

I bought this kit for my wrangler and it was super easy to install, thanks for the post.

jackb1
01-14-2016, 12:00 PM
I actually just finally bit the bullet and had one installed last month. The 4Runners had a lot of reviews with aftermarket systems having problems so I did a toyota starter.

redbank
01-14-2016, 01:52 PM
I actually just finally bit the bullet and had one installed last month. The 4Runners had a lot of reviews with aftermarket systems having problems so I did a toyota starter.

I like the simplicity of this remote. No fob needed, no splicing of wires. If I have problems I can just unplug. With $30 worth of free Amazon credit, I finally ordered it a few weeks ago. I had a post on here a while back about remote starter dealers around the area that know what they are doing. A place up near New Ken was recommended. I took my daughters car there and had one installed and she has had no complaints.

Powerguy37
01-14-2016, 02:21 PM
I had one for my wife's car installed a few years ago by The Stereo Shoppe in Greensburg. Was a bit more than the normal price because her car has push button start. I've not had any issues with it yet.