PDA

View Full Version : Dumb idea, talk me out of it.

Azzy
03-11-2015, 12:23 AM
So, got my 96 XJ, most of the parts are bieng pulled for my 99. Drivetrain on it is fine, runs great, shifts great, and I've replaced so much stuff on it that I have no doubt it will run for another 100K.

Im also getting tired of unibodys. (although towuing things, having a roof.. all that is nice). So what do you guys think about finding a YJ or TJ frame... adding a tub, dropping in the motor and AW4? You get where it is going. Not that i have cash for a project like that, or a garage, but it almost sounds fun to build. Something with a fiberglass tub, 30" tires, stretch the frame a bit to make towing the camper less scary.

highlandercj-7
03-11-2015, 05:26 AM
What are you towing?

always broke
03-11-2015, 05:47 AM
It's an immense amount of work to start with a frame, modify it, then build street legal reliable vehicle. You'd never finish it and would have three times as much money in it than just buying a decent used LJ

justin'sbig7
03-11-2015, 05:58 AM
It's an immense amount of work to start with a frame, modify it, then build street legal reliable vehicle. You'd never finish it and would have three times as much money in it than just buying a decent used LJ

Sorry, as much as I love a good project, ^ what he said. Sell it all off for a good down payment. It will be MUCH cheaper in the end. When you start with a bare frame, figure what it will cost, and multiply it by 2.5. All new brake and fuel lines, the hardware, all the pieces and parts... Then move onto the body, if you don't have a parts/donorTJ or YJ, you will need every knob, switch, bracket, heat and A/C stuff, wiring harness, etc.

It's a noble cause but a ground up build of this magnitude can be overwhelming.

DMG
03-11-2015, 07:16 AM
Justin is right. I started to put parts together a few years back to build a LJ. It was much cheaper to buy one.

However if you can find a cheap TJ/LJ/YJ roller it could work.

2002wranglerX
03-11-2015, 07:50 AM
Not that i have cash for a project like that, or a garage,

you answered your own question. I almost bought this:

http://forums.hrja.org/showthread.php?15123-It-s-time-for-it-to-go-YJ-up-for-sale

but the reality is i'll never have time to do it.

So until you have the money/garage space to do it, i say wait.

Azzy
03-11-2015, 08:57 AM
Thats what I thought.

Now any ideas on what to safely rest an XJ on while its being stripped? Axles and springs are coming out first. railroad ties?

sethman15210
03-11-2015, 09:59 AM
Don't turn to the dark side. Rusty uni-body's for life

i picked up a couple of movers flat Dollies from harbor freight to lay my body on.

Krod
03-11-2015, 12:02 PM
I did the whole "easier to start from scratch" thing with my YJ and it took me 4 years to finish it. Still doing things that I didn't have time to do the way I wanted on the first revision. Start with a complete vehicle if you're going to do it, or do what others have suggested and buy an LJ.

Azzy
03-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Seth, I got a 1/2 gravel, 1/2 potholed asphalt driveway. Floor movers arent gonna work. Probably just gonna go buy some cinder blocks, and become that neighbor :)

sethman15210
03-11-2015, 06:01 PM
Getting your redneck on can be fun at times,

Tom'sToyotaFarm
04-15-2015, 05:47 AM
This article is very good,and I find a interesting website.
http://www.elo24h.com/Account

Spam?

justin'sbig7
04-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Spam?

Oh yeah, definitely spam... Don't click that link

Azzy
04-15-2015, 07:38 PM
So ive got a buyer lined up for the XJ as it sits, and the 99 has a buyer that is meting me tomorrow at my office. So nice to have parking spaces back!

Still tempted to fix up the green 01 we have (little rust, saggy springs) and sell it too, and get the hell out of all of these XJs. TJs and LJs are just too damn expensive. Not sure how the same drivetrain, with less space, same rust as an XJ makes it work $3K what the XJ is worth maybe 1200.

Deadman 94 xj
04-15-2015, 09:32 PM
I honestly enjoy working on stuff more than I actually like wheeling. I can not imagine not having some sort of "project" going on that I can go tinker with at my leisure...I'd go nuts. There's always house work but I hate house work lol.

Azzy
04-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Got more than enough projects around here, just getting rid of some of them that wont do me any good. Need a garage before I start building big fun toys :) And after these XJs are sorted, the Bike needs fixed, and so does the roof of the camper.