PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" Wheel Spacers and PA State Inspection

ScottPA
07-06-2015, 12:16 PM
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/SubchapterE.pdf

175.65. h

How is it that everyone and their dog with larger tires has larger than these and stores readily sell them, yet they are not able to pass inspection?

:angry:

muddeprived
07-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Did yours fail?

I have 1.25" spacers and I pass all the time.

ScottPA
07-06-2015, 03:45 PM
Yes, I didn't believe them so I looked it up and found the documentation online. I know better to take it there, I was just pressed for time.

hyperbuzzin
07-06-2015, 03:53 PM
All kinds of stores sell all kinds of stuff that's not "technically" legal for on road use. Most likely there's a warning on the package somewhere that states that.
If you're new to an inspection station, it's likely you'll get a hard time for most of that stuff. If they know you and aren't worried about you putting them under the bus if SHTF when you have a problem because of those items, they'll probably have no problem passing you.

Can't count on both hands and feet how many Jeeps, other 4X4's and lifted trucks I see with wheels out past the fenders. They still seem to have no problem getting through inspections, yet that's not legal.

So.... it all comes down to how the inspection guys woke up that morning and whether or not he got a piece of tail the night before :102:

RedRaider
07-06-2015, 04:00 PM
I had spidertrax 1.25 spacers for a couple years. I had one shop ask me how big they were, not that he was going to fail me, he was just curious. Another shop said, "if asked, you didn't have spacers when you came in for inspection". Dealership told me they wouldn't fail me for the spacers, but because my tires stuck out 3/8" past fender flares. Another shop told me they wouldn't pass it with the wheel spacers. So it really depends on the place, and it helps if they know you

The_War_Wagon
07-06-2015, 05:52 PM
Treat your state inspector to steak & a beer from time to time. :002:

88wd21
07-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Hell, find out what kinda donut and coffee your inspector likes. 3 bucks worth of dough and filtered water can put a guy in a good mood and get the 'you changed them when you got home' treatment.

Look ok for aot that has a built truck or 2 in it, odds are they are friendlier to stuff their personal stuff has.

MemorEsto
07-07-2015, 09:28 AM
Wife's JK just passed Inspection yesterday with 2" spacers on all 4 corners.

jackb1
07-07-2015, 10:49 AM
at 1/4", they sound like the kind of spacers that slip over your existing wheel studs and reuse your existing studs to mount the wheels. I can see more places failing for those than the ones that bolt on and have a new set of studs... the ones described above at larger sizes.

The little spacers never seemed very well made or safe to me. Not sure about inspecting them, but definately a bit more hack than a nice billet set.

Although if that is what you had, I can't believe they wouldn't just leave them off and inspect you.

ScottPA
07-07-2015, 10:59 AM
For clarity, I do not have 1/4" spacers, that's the "law". Mine are larger. I just picked it up from (rhymes with _ick's) and will be taking it to someone who appreciates me and my Jeep next week (see previous posts).

What's kind of funny is that (rhymes with _ick's) has pictures of Jeeps with 35" tires on their wall, showing them off. I wanted to ask what size spacers those had, but bit my tongue, picked up my Jeep and left.

tjblair
07-07-2015, 05:03 PM
They should not pass per inspection law. "I" me personally would not run them on my own vehicles. On a dedicated offroad rig. Sure. But not a street driven vehicle. I would just buy the correct backspace wheel.
That said there are tons of guys running them and getting away with it.

Azzy
07-14-2015, 08:10 AM
No spacers, just adapters :)