PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cherokee issues

Powerguy37
07-13-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm new to the Grand Cherokee world. I have an 02 Laredo that sat for a year due to bad brake line. Fixed that. Had some bad tie rod ends, replaced all of those. New shocks all around. Unit bearings about 3 years ago. Maybe 2000 miles on since then.

The issue I'm having is more noticeable at highway speeds. When you accelerate of let off the gas pedal, it seems to "float" a little from side to side. Its not the normal body roll I'm used to on the Xterra. It doesn't lean side to side. It's almost as if when I step on the gas, it changes the direction I'm going slightly. When I let off, it comes back.

Any ideas? Bad coil springs, ball joints? It rides great at 70 mph. No death wobble or anything.

tjblair
07-13-2015, 08:06 PM
Rear control arm,Y link, or track bar bushing. It's usually more pronounced if the rear is locked. Put it in park and have someone roll it back and forth against the parking g pin. And lay under it and look for the bad bushing. To check the track bar bushings. Lay under there and have someone rock it side to side in the rear. Again look at the bushings .

Powerguy37
07-13-2015, 08:25 PM
Rear control arm,Y link, or track bar bushing. It's usually more pronounced if the rear is locked. Put it in park and have someone roll it back and forth against the parking g pin. And lay under it and look for the bad bushing. To check the track bar bushings. Lay under there and have someone rock it side to side in the rear. Again look at the bushings .

Thanks, its completely stock. I'm sure none of the bushings have ever been replaced. My son had it 8 years and I did all the maintenance work on it.

Super Scout
07-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Dana, pretty much what Jeff said. When you goto change them PB Blaster and heat, Rockauto always seemed to have insanely low prices on suspension bushings for those.

Mykal
07-13-2015, 10:09 PM
Info above is spot on.

Dana, pretty much what Jeff said. When you goto change them PB Blaster and heat, Rockauto always seemed to have insanely low prices on suspension bushings for those.

Google for the 5% discount rock auto code as well.

RalphXJ
07-14-2015, 06:17 AM
Info above is spot on.

Google for the 5% discount rock auto code as well.

From Pirate: RockAuto Introduction & Discount Code!

5% Discount Code: 9567773FF43E11
Expires: 08/01/2015

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

Powerguy37
07-14-2015, 02:00 PM
So I haven't crawled under it yet but I'm assuming they are all bad. I'm a little confused on the number of bushing and what is serviceable. Some say you can't change the axle side up front and you need to replace the arm. That seems crazy to me. Some guy said the bushings from a 98 ZJ fit. So is there 4 bushing in the front and 4 in the rear? Rock Auto is out of some of them. Still looking...

Edit: It also seems its almost as cheap to just buy the arms with the bushings installed. Can anyone confirm that the arms up front will work on either side? From what I'm reading they will.

joshs1ofakindxj
07-14-2015, 03:09 PM
When I needed stock XJ front lower arms it was the same price just to buy the arms. They were identical side to side on an XJ, not sure on the Grand.

Powerguy37
07-14-2015, 04:25 PM
When I needed stock XJ front lower arms it was the same price just to buy the arms. They were identical side to side on an XJ, not sure on the Grand.

I guess I'll find out. Just ordered all new stock arms.

Mykal
07-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Control Arms?
Front lowers are different from side to side on the WJ. They have a bend in middle.

http://s21.postimg.org/qt9he3d3b/190855733.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/4ilme4ft3/WJ_LCA_2s_jpg_original.jpg

Powerguy37
07-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Control Arms?
Front lowers are different from side to side on the WJ. They have a bend in middle.

http://s21.postimg.org/qt9he3d3b/190855733.jpg
http://s21.postimg.org/4ilme4ft3/WJ_LCA_2s_jpg_original.jpg

Hmmmm, on Rock Auto it says its the same part for both sides if I'm reading this right.

DORMAN Part # 520320
{Click Info Link for Alternate/OEM Part Numbers} http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/images/Heart.png
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/images/us.gif (http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/answersTab2.html#FLAGS) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/images/ca.gif (http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/answersTab2.html#FLAGS) Front Left Lower; Bushings Included: Yes
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/images/us.gif (http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/answersTab2.html#FLAGS) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/images/ca.gif (http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/answersTab2.html#FLAGS) Front Right Lower; Bushings Included: Yes

Mykal
07-14-2015, 07:35 PM
I was thinking... Its been awhile since I lid hands on them but I think they are the same. You can just rotate them to reverse the bend. You should be fine. :) Sorry Dana.

At least I can still remember to tighten my radiator cap before troubleshooting a cooling issue. :023:

Powerguy37
07-14-2015, 08:15 PM
I was thinking... Its been awhile since I lid hands on them but I think they are the same. You can just rotate them to reverse the bend. You should be fine. :) Sorry Dana.

At least I can still remember to tighten my radiator cap before troubleshooting a cooling issue. :023:

No problem, this is all new to me. Never had a jeep before or messed with control arms.

Super Scout
07-14-2015, 08:42 PM
As I was reading this I was like YOU JUST FLIP THEM AROUND lol. Good catch Mykal.

These two blondes take up home repair and the very first job they get is to replace siding on a house. On the first day of the job Blonde #1 hammers in a nail, looks at the next nail and throws it over her shoulder. She then hammers in another nail and throws the next one over her shoulder. For the next hour Blonde #1 keeps throwing about every other nail over her shoulder. Blonde #2 finally asks her, "why are you throwing so many nails away?"

Blonde #1 says "the heads are on the wrong end of the nail!"

Blonde #2 replies, "You IDIOT! Those are for the other side of the house!"

Powerguy37
07-15-2015, 02:05 PM
I have been fighting a check engine light since I got it too. It never had issues in the past 8 years. P0138 and P0141. Replaced both post cat ones with the bosch 02 senors. Light was out for almost 100 miles. Then back on. Read where bosch sensor are crap etc. so I bought some NTK ones. Just went to swap it out and the one I put it 2 weeks ago is smashed and bent. I guess its hitting the axle or something and smashing it. Not really sure what to do now.

The exhaust was replaced by me around 2 years ago. My son ordered the parts. I'm wondering if it was the wrong one for it. It went on okay. Maybe it hangs too low there or something. Not sure what to do about it now. I've noticed it seems to bottom out when I come down hard on a dip in the road. It makes some noise up front. I assumed it was the control arm bushings.

Any ideas???

joshs1ofakindxj
07-15-2015, 04:14 PM
Hit it with a hammer.

Powerguy37
07-15-2015, 05:43 PM
Hit it with a hammer.
That's probably whats going to happen. Its starting to piss me off. I knew it would take a little work to get it back on the road but I have no idea what the sensor is getting hit. The bump stop is there. The sensor is close to the axle. Could it flex that much that it would contact the axle? Maybe the exhaust is shifiting? I checked and the exhaust on there is the right one for that year and model.

I'm going to replace the control arms before I drive it anymore.

ridgerunner97
07-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Dana, you are flush with Camera gear, toss a go pro down there and make it bottom out or whatever you described see what's hitting.

Super Scout
07-15-2015, 08:46 PM
I would think if the exhaust is moving that badly it would have a hell of an exhaust leak. I also don't see how the axle could hit, esp if the bump stops are still in place. Are you sure nothing could of hit it ? Is it the correct 02 Sensor ?

Powerguy37
07-15-2015, 09:48 PM
Dana, you are flush with Camera gear, toss a go pro down there and make it bottom out or whatever you described see what's hitting.

Yeah thought about that too but I don't want to smash another sensor. I may just do it tomorrow though to find out.

Powerguy37
07-15-2015, 09:52 PM
I would think if the exhaust is moving that badly it would have a hell of an exhaust leak. I also don't see how the axle could hit, esp if the bump stops are still in place. Are you sure nothing could of hit it ? Is it the correct 02 Sensor ?
Yeah the exhaust is pretty tight when I grabbed it and tried to move it. The sensor is the right one I'm pretty sure. It's within an inch or two of the axle when its parked. Its the one closest to the front. I was thinking the sound I'm hearing is from the worn out control arm bushings. It only happens when I hit a dip in the road and it bottoms out. I'll try and find out tomorrow with the gopro.

Powerguy37
07-16-2015, 05:46 PM
I got the front upper and lower arms replaced. I didn't realize the front upper were pressed into the axle so those didn't get replaced. Should have done my homework. Now i will have to take it apart again. Took it for a quick ride and it still sways. Going to do the rear lower arms in a few. Guess I should replace the track bar bushings too. Guess I will need to have it aligned again after all this. Should have just waited...

Edit: Rear lower control arms replaced. Haven't had it up to 60 or 70 yet but it seems to ride better with a lot less sway. Man that upper rear control arm looks like a bitch to replace. Just need an alignment as the camber is off now.

ArtCloud
07-27-2015, 01:13 PM
I got the front upper and lower arms replaced. I didn't realize the front upper were pressed into the axle so those didn't get replaced. Should have done my homework. Now i will have to take it apart again. Took it for a quick ride and it still sways. Going to do the rear lower arms in a few. Guess I should replace the track bar bushings too. Guess I will need to have it aligned again after all this. Should have just waited...

Edit: Rear lower control arms replaced. Haven't had it up to 60 or 70 yet but it seems to ride better with a lot less sway. Man that upper rear control arm looks like a bitch to replace. Just need an alignment as the camber is off now.

If I recall correctly, the stock ball joints on the D30 don't have any adjustment for camber, so you might have to have those replaced if your camber is that far off. You can get aftermarket uppers that allow camber adjustment though.

If you were referring to caster, at stock height the caster can be adjusted with the LCA cam bolts, anything more than about a 2-2.5" lift you and you have to get adjustable control arms.

Powerguy37
06-08-2016, 02:48 PM
Bringing this thread back up. Still fighting the 02 sensor problem. I had it fixes I thought but I now see where the front driveshaft is hitting the exhaust pipe coming down. Its actually dented in. I just replaced the coil springs and it seems to ride better but on a hard dip in the road its still hitting somewhat. The transmission mount looks bad so I'm going to replace it next. Could bad motor mounts cause it as well or should I just have the exhaust pipe bent out of the way?

My Xterra, which is 2 years older never gave me this many problems...

The_War_Wagon
06-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Who the hell did your exhaust?!?! Any competent muffler shop should be able to bend you something OUT of the way of the DRIVESHAFT. :107:

Powerguy37
06-09-2016, 12:21 PM
Who the hell did your exhaust?!?! Any competent muffler shop should be able to bend you something OUT of the way of the DRIVESHAFT. :107:

I did, back when my son owned it he ordered all the stuff from Summit and I put it on.

joshs1ofakindxj
06-09-2016, 01:35 PM
I trust you have a good reason for keeping this. I was so happy when I sold my first WJ after owning it less than a year.

My XJ's replacement down pipe had a clearance issue with the front driveshaft yoke at the axle. It worked itself out. Got a nice dent in it from wheeling at full stuff and never had an issue again.

Powerguy37
06-09-2016, 02:31 PM
I trust you have a good reason for keeping this. I was so happy when I sold my first WJ after owning it less than a year.

My XJ's replacement down pipe had a clearance issue with the front driveshaft yoke at the axle. It worked itself out. Got a nice dent in it from wheeling at full stuff and never had an issue again.

Well it was "free" and has a new crate motor in it and I do like driving it. And yeah its hitting right at the yoke. I too have a nice dent. I could live with that but it keeps smashing the 02 sensors and tripping the CEL. That's annoying.

DMG
06-09-2016, 04:09 PM
Is there room to weld a bung in the pipe to relocate the O2 sensor somewhere safer?

Powerguy37
06-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Is there room to weld a bung in the pipe to relocate the O2 sensor somewhere safer?

Maybe, I need to crawl under there and look again.

Powerguy37
06-16-2016, 03:18 PM
I'm just about ready to set this thing on fire... While replacing the transmission mount, which didn't line up with he bolt holes, I jacked the transmission up and apparently smashed a rusted line on the side and now its leaking. I've never had this many issues with my Xterra which it 2 years older and been treated much worse.

sethman15210
06-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Yep, my wj is the biggest pain in the as* I've ever owned. My radiator upper hose decided to blow out today as soon as I pulled into my driveway.....it never ends

joshs1ofakindxj
06-17-2016, 09:28 AM
I swear the boat jokes apply to Grand Cherokee's: the best days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

ridgerunner97
06-19-2016, 03:36 PM
Only WJ's the ZJ was nowhere near as bad a platform.

Super Scout
06-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Jeeps are garbage. The WJ is the smelliest of the garbage but, they are all garbage.

Powerguy37
06-20-2016, 08:04 PM
Spent about 2 hours trying to replace the busted tranny cooler line. It must have been installed before the tranny was mounted. It was a MF'r to get it fed through. In the process, I broke the fuc*ing high pressure tranny line... It never ends with this heep.

Super Scout
06-20-2016, 09:45 PM
Yeah I did both of libs on her WJ. Along with a headgasket, transfer case, oil pan, multiple fuel pumps, computer, and a slew of other stuff.

DMG
06-21-2016, 06:34 AM
My gf had an 04 grand Cherokee that needed something every couple of months. We got rid of it for an 02 land cruiser with more miles. I put tires and brakes on it and changed the fluids and that is all I have done since we have had it.

Super Scout
06-21-2016, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I want to get Lib a 4runner next. Those damn things are like gold tho. Their value never drops.

DMG
06-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Yeah, I want to get Lib a 4runner next. Those damn things are like gold tho. Their value never drops.

Yep. I wanted a 3-4 year old 4Runner. When I priced them I changed my mind.

Powerguy37
06-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Another update for those of you that care. The high pressure line is on national back order, so I spent a good bit of the day on my back in dirt and crap at the u-pull it trying to get one off another piece of shit jeep. Finally got it off and its rusty too but if I don't break it trying to install it it should work.

DMG
06-22-2016, 06:49 PM
You could replace the rusty portions with transmission cooler hose and clamps.

Powerguy37
07-09-2016, 06:37 PM
Finally decided to try and replace the high pressure transmission line today. Wasn't as bad as the other one but in the process of course, I broke the the gear shift cable going into the transmission. FML... It looks to be a pain tom replace as well I hate this jeep.

ridgerunner97
07-10-2016, 09:32 AM
After libbys woes with wj's and Joshs fun I have vowed never to own one unless a quick flip. WJ stands for Worst Jeep

joshs1ofakindxj
07-11-2016, 08:30 AM
Let's start placing bets on what Dana breaks next while fixing the next thing! I'm going to bet neutral safety switch!

Powerguy37
07-11-2016, 09:55 AM
Let's start placing bets on what Dana breaks next while fixing the next thing! I'm going to bet neutral safety switch!

I don't even know where it is but I probably already broke it if its near the cable or transmission lines.

Powerguy37
07-11-2016, 11:22 AM
Well my ghetto fab JB Weld fix is holding for now. For how long who knows...

Powerguy37
07-11-2016, 04:34 PM
Well it worked about 6 times then broke again.

Powerguy37
07-29-2016, 03:45 PM
This thing is ****ing cursed. Picked up the new gear shift cable and decided I didn't want to do it myself because I would break something else. Took it to Roseys in Greensburg where I have been going for years. Mechanic named Steve has been there for a long time and worked on my cars before. Drop it off on a Friday. He calls me later in the day and says he's having trouble because the transmission lines are in the way. Says he can probably make a new one to make it fit. A week goes by and I hear nothing. Get a call at 5 on Monday a week later and get told that Steve just up and quit without notice. Took his tools and left. Left no notes on what he was doing or working on. They tell me to give them a few days and they will pull it in and see whats what. Another week goes by and I called them today with no answer. Drove down there and sign on the doors closing at noon today, closed tomorrow. Back in on Monday. Looked at the Jeep and the new cable is still sitting in the front seat where I left it. ****ing Jeep...

The_War_Wagon
07-29-2016, 07:47 PM
You need a GOOD friend, to help you... "FIX"... your problem. :gear_cool2:

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/f/ff/Moe%27s_Sedan_%28Simpsons_wiki%29.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/220?cb=20120708171447 It's well insured, right? :040:

DMG
07-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Alison had an 04 grand Cherokee. Every other month I was doing something to it. Calipers, ac evaporator, radiator, axle seals, the factory stereo overheated until CDs melted, check engine light for various reasons. All the usual Chrysler shit that usually didn't stop it from running but was a pain in the ass.
I fixed it by buying an 02 Toyota Land Cruiser and selling the WJ.

Tom'sToyotaFarm
07-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Setting it on fire might help. The heep, not the tranny shop.

The_War_Wagon
07-30-2016, 03:50 PM
Setting it on fire might help.

At the rate it's disintegrating, "spontaneous combustion" may not be out of the realm of possibility! :paranoid:

Powerguy37
07-30-2016, 08:21 PM
Yeah gasoline is looking better and better...

Powerguy37
08-06-2016, 02:45 PM
Got tired of messing with Roseys and picked up the Jeep yesterday. Replaced the gear shift cable myself. Really wasn't that bad of a job. Don't know why they didn't want to do it. Just need to get it inspected now.

Powerguy37
08-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Well on the way to get it inspected Monday, the front driveshaft was rubbing a bit on the junkyard oil cooler line. So I bent it just a little to get it out of the way and bam, broke it and the threaded end on the transmission. Of course I didn't kn ow this till I was 5 mile from home and it started smoking and shifting hard. 3 1/2 hours later waiting on AAA and tow truck, I called one myself to get home. F*ck AAA! The line I broke for the second time is still on national backorder. I ordered the other one that is next too it but just a little bit longer and cut of off to fit. Used my Harbour Freight bubble flare tool to re-flare the end and installed it this morning. So far so good but I haven't road tested it yet. The only thing that worries me is the end by the radiator. I didn't realize it had a threaded coupling that went to a rubber house. I skipped that and went straight into the rubber hose.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-15-2016, 08:30 AM
Sell it as soon as you get the inspection sticker on it lol.

ridgerunner97
08-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Agreed. **** WJ's my two Aunts had peeffect luck with theirs but I'll never own one.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-15-2016, 01:52 PM
I got my cavalier to pass inspection last month and a week or so later the timing chain driven water pump started gushing coolant out of the weep hole, cutting down the value of the car a lot. Don't let it happen to you!

Powerguy37
08-16-2016, 10:47 PM
I got my cavalier to pass inspection last month and a week or so later the timing chain driven water pump started gushing coolant out of the weep hole, cutting down the value of the car a lot. Don't let it happen to you!

Got a sticker on it!