PDA

View Full Version : Xj vs TJ 4.0.. got a swap ahead

Azzy
07-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Got a swap ahead of me. 2K XJ, Aw4, blown bearing(s), lots of metal all through it.
Donor motor is from a 2K TJ.
Is there anything oddball that needs done? I want to be prepared so we can finish and roll hoe that night (one hell of a day)

Cody and I are headed to York Sunday night, taking off Monday to do the swap. MercedesDeisel4x4.com has the TJ motor they pulled from a conversion, 140K miles, daily driver when pulled a few months ago.

Azzy
07-23-2015, 03:54 PM
And yes, this is right after I sold off a perfectly good running motor...

It got us to York, and then bam! knock knock knock knock rattle squeal!

justin'sbig7
07-23-2015, 04:28 PM
The one you sold had the wrong head anyway so don't beat yourself up too much lol! Should be straight enough of a swap.

Azzy
07-23-2015, 05:02 PM
Yeah, but the bottom end was good, right?

Oh, And another question... Can I convert this thing to use an APN style header? Its federal emissions, so separate manifolds, but no pre-cats. Oh, and don't forget, 2wd, different downpipe before the cat. Im going to confuse the hell out of the parts counter guy.

Azzy
07-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Shit... just found this jem:

2000+ TJ Wrangler and WJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

XJ/ZJ blocks and 2000+ TJ/WJ blocks do not interchange without significant modifications. (1997-1999 4.0L TJ Wrangler blocks will interchange in XJ/ZJ and visa-versa).

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

always broke
07-24-2015, 07:38 AM
There's a 96 XJ being parted out on HRJA. Probably could get the whole thing.

DMG
07-24-2015, 09:38 AM
I know someone that may want to buy the TJ motor if you can't use it.

Azzy
07-24-2015, 10:18 AM
There's a 96 XJ being parted out on HRJA. Probably could get the whole thing.

I would have an issue with my intake and whatnot fitting on the head. Not a dealbreaker, but I really don't want to do a head swap at the same time. Ive got at most a day to get this done.

Dave, tell them to call Nathan Koch's shop. Sales@MercedesDiesel4x4.com Phone: 717-448-3800 Tell him Azzy sent whoever.

2002wranglerX
07-24-2015, 01:24 PM
I would have an issue with my intake and whatnot fitting on the head. Not a dealbreaker, but I really don't want to do a head swap at the same time. Ive got at most a day to get this done.

Dave, tell them to call Nathan Koch's shop. Sales@MercedesDiesel4x4.com Phone: 717-448-3800 Tell him Azzy sent whoever.

you can use your head on the older style block. i did that in my 01 xj.

Azzy
07-24-2015, 01:52 PM
That would make this swap go a lot longer, and its a time limited thing as is. If I could tow everything back at once, I could take my time, but it is taking up a friend's garage right now

2002wranglerX
07-24-2015, 03:29 PM
That would make this swap go a lot longer, and its a time limited thing as is. If I could tow everything back at once, I could take my time, but it is taking up a friend's garage right now

what? swapping a head takes what? 15 minutes? both motors are coming out anyway.

Azzy
07-24-2015, 10:59 PM
bit mroe time to go over everything. Im not sure what got banged up, and what all went. All I know is we found a lot of metal in the oil pickup. It looked like a sintered filter, and the oil is glittery enough to drink coronas in a jersey shore bar.

Azzy
07-27-2015, 11:57 PM
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/5143701091.html

So, if Im looking at a pulled block, what do I look for to make sure Im not getting hosed?

justin'sbig7
07-28-2015, 07:52 AM
That's a tough one. Exterior is really not a good indicator of internals. I would look in the valve cover holes for sludge, look for evidence of oil leaks... Although those aren't really a big deal imho. Look inside cooling jackets if you can for oily residue, it's really a crapshoot without a tear down or at least pulling the head.

Azzy
07-29-2015, 03:22 AM
Well, chatted with the guy today. Tolsd him as long as i dont get up there and find something screwy, I'm taking the 98 motor.

Monday is going to be a hoot. We got to drop it, swap it, and drive it all back home. Might make a table out of the I6 thats screwedup.

Azzy
07-30-2015, 02:56 PM
afterall the parts we bought before, and what I will need to get a motor in this thing, Im going to be dropping 928 into this XJ

Im not sure its worth it. I still need to finish fixing the AC after that, and the wiring for the passenger window. Including purchase, i think I have 1400 into the damn thing now. Perhaps its just time to sell the clean ass shell and buy a beater for the winter.

Azzy
08-05-2015, 03:24 PM
So that was a hell of a day. Motor swapped, the old block was trashed, plugged oil journals, sludge for days. we soaked the head in parts cleaner and got it pretty damn clean. No cracks, rockers usable but should be replaced.

block from the 98 was in really nice condition. very clean inside. They took care of that ZJ (WJ?). pretty much everything was a direct bolt over, other than the oil filter and oil pressure sender.

After it was all together, it fired up first time, but we had it 90 degrees out of time. Still ran OK for that. Got it sorted, and drove home. Cody got the 98 head and intake for future MJ use.

Azzy
09-02-2015, 08:58 PM
So been driving and its been good. Till it started getting warm today. Now its got low coolant. Changed the oil last night, was dirty, but we expected that after teh swap. No coolant, no green, no water.
Just replaced a pcv valve too, we had cracked one and patched, but better to have it on instead.

Idling a bit rough, like it has an exhaust leak?

Compression test going to show me the issue, or would it need a leakdown for a bad head or gasket? If either, i think Im just going to get the other head off of Cody if he still has it and put it back on this motor, and take it to get a downrube made up. At least I can run a apn header on it.

Azzy
09-02-2015, 09:57 PM
no leaks on injectors or manifold. The back of the block below the head on the passenger rear looks wet.

:021:

This sucks. I can barely lift a wrench, let alone pull a head and do a headgasket.

Azzy
09-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Confirmed, 0331 head crack between 3-4

DMG
09-14-2015, 07:52 AM
Ouch, that sucks.

Azzy
09-16-2015, 03:49 PM
I found a decent looking shop on ebay that repairs, beefs up , and warranties a replacement for 250 plus $30 shipping. Sucks having to buy a new set of gaskets though. I should be able to get away with the new head bolts, they should not have stretched.

justin'sbig7
09-17-2015, 06:46 AM
I found a decent looking shop on ebay that repairs, beefs up , and warranties a replacement for 250 plus $30 shipping. Sucks having to buy a new set of gaskets though. I should be able to get away with the new head bolts, they should not have stretched.

Going that far into it, why chance using the old head bolts?

Azzy
09-18-2015, 11:04 PM
I figure at 300 miles, they should be fine. As long as the measure to spec and havent stretched, the service manual says they are OK, just to probe the bottom of the block first for depth. And because im getting broke on this thing.. no money now to repair the suspension on the other jeep that really needs it. Its been a crap month. Im hoping to swing a wholesale deal at Laurel Highlands, but not expecting miracles

UHIJuyggIJ
11-18-2015, 10:53 PM
That Should be straight enough of a swap.
samsung accessories uk (http://www.casesam.co.uk)
Galaxy J5 cover (http://www.casesam.co.uk/category-galaxy-j5-case-cover-33.html)