PDA

View Full Version : First lift--seek advice

Heath42
07-30-2015, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

I have 2011 JKU and am about to move to 33" tires. I would like to also put my first lift on at this time and am having a really hard time figuring out what the best bang for my buck will be and what the differences between a lot of these kits are. I am a true novice when it comes to the lifts so any and all help is appreciated. The kits I am looking at are all what I believe to be considered "budget boosts". I would like to keep the ride on this Jeep close to stock as it is very much a Daily Driver but I'd like to get out and play with it a bit on the weekends.

I've been perusing Quadratec and have found a bunch of different options:

Skyjacker 2.5" Softride® Lift Kit with Nitro Shocks

TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost without Shocks for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK

Rubicon Express 2.5" Budget Boost Suspension System for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door

I guess I'm really wondering if I can get away with spacers, or if I should be looking at new shocks and/or coils in the package? Pros/Cons to the different types of lifts available. Durability/reliability of the different manufacturers.

Thanks in advance for any help and apologies if I'm overlooking anything obvious or seem too n00b ;)

anodyne33
07-31-2015, 09:38 AM
'Sup noob?

And don't be scared, even goalies can be taught to turn wrenches. Maybe.

muddeprived
07-31-2015, 11:57 AM
If you want close to stock ride quality or better then I would look at the Old Man Emu kit or a Budget Boost kit with Bilstein Shocks. Old Man Emu ain't cheap but you get what you pay for. Finding someone who regrets using OME is RARE. Bilstein puts out some of the best valved shocks for jeeps. The 5100's are awesome.

I don't own a JK but they can't be much different than a TJ when installing a minor lift so I'm guessing you'd want to be sure you got bump stop extensions and sway bar disconnects included in your kit of choice.

Heath42
07-31-2015, 12:30 PM
'Sup noob?

And don't be scared, even goalies can be taught to turn wrenches. Maybe.

Reformed goalies. I had to retire....

You ready to help me put this on?

anodyne33
07-31-2015, 01:42 PM
We can't break any more of your Jeep than I've broken on my own...

jslavic
07-31-2015, 02:43 PM
I've got the Zone 4" kit but got the hydro shocks over the nitro shocks. Nitro's have a very quick response for offroad, hydro's are a bit milder and keep a factory ride. You can't notice any difference in mine between factory and lifted with the hydros.

dan58
08-01-2015, 09:33 AM
All you need to run 33s is a spacer. No need to fork out more than that. You can run 35s on a 3" lift on a JK. Talk to TJ Blair on tires. They sell a ton of Mickey Thompson.

2002wranglerX
08-04-2015, 09:15 AM
you really don't even need a spacer for 33's. I ran a 3/4 up front on the one unlimited we put 33's on just to level it out. But they'll fit stock.

you can get more droop from an aftermarket and correctly sized shock. But it won't be earth shattering.

when you do lift, you want to keep it 2.5 or below. youll run into way less driveshaft/castor issues.

2002wranglerX
08-04-2015, 09:15 AM
also for 2.5" lifts. consider the rock krawler stock mod. really good starting place to build from.

Heath42
08-06-2015, 10:03 AM
also for 2.5" lifts. consider the rock krawler stock mod. really good starting place to build from.

Pardon my ignorance, but with that lift, can I still run stock shocks? I understand that eventually I will probably want to upgrade (I keep seeing good things written about the Billstein's) but for now I'm trying to keep things relatively simple and also keep cost somewhat down. Thanks!

dan58
08-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but with that lift, can I still run stock shocks? I understand that eventually I will probably want to upgrade (I keep seeing good things written about the Billstein's) but for now I'm trying to keep things relatively simple and also keep cost somewhat down. Thanks!

If you are looking for a 2.5" lift, we sell one (PM me...TJ Blair can get it) that reuses the stock shocks, by means of a shock extension. You can easily upgrade your shocks later down the line. Nice little lift at a very nice price. Made by Skyjacker. We are the only company that has it, so you can't find it on their website.

tjblair
08-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Wtf??? Did I miss something?

tjblair
08-08-2015, 12:57 PM
Yes we can get that kit. Call the shop for info. 724-285-5082.

Heath42
07-29-2016, 09:01 AM
Update to this thread--I finally went ahead and got a Rock Krawler 2.5" Flex system and Rancho RS-9000XL shocks. Everything was installed by Dave Gibbs and I couldn't be happier with the results. Looks great, rides great. Dave did a tremendous job--I would absolutely recommend him to anyone needing work in the area and will absolutely be back to his shop for future projects. Next up, new bumpers, then a likely move to 35's.

The_War_Wagon
07-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Good choice - on the lift AND the install. Dave did a 2 1/2" lift on my XK, and it rides great. And suddenly, you're no LONGER a soccer mom in it! :081: