PDA

View Full Version : Who makes Napa steering gear boxes?

muddeprived
11-23-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm looking to swap in a durango box in place of my worn clunky stock box on my 99 TJ. I refuse to buy cardone or lares brand rebuilt boxes based on previous experience. They suck worse than a hoover.

Anyone know who remans the Napa boxes?

oros35
11-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Order from Rockauto. Much cheaper even with shipping, and you have a better selection. Core returns are easy too, you print the shipping label right from the website, toss it in the box the new one came in. They didn't say anything about the core being tapped for hydro-assist either.

I just went through 2 Durango boxes this summer in 5 days. Old one blew the seal, put on a Napa box, 5 days later I destroyed it (twisted the splines, bent the pitman arm, destroyed a rim) screwing around in a creek bed. Found a big rock under water that didn't move. Ordered the next one off Rockauto.

The previous 3 boxes I got from Napa, only one that lasted more than a year, first thing I did was tear it down, right out of the box. Go through it and reset all the tolerances, basically rebuild it myself using the parts that came with it. That one lasted about 4 years.

I haven't found a rebuild brand that I was happy with. This latest one has a hard spot in it and is loose right out of the box. Its a cardone.

muddeprived
11-23-2015, 11:29 AM
So RockAuto has the following selections (not including Cardone and Lares): BBB, Atsco, ACDelco, and Mopar.

Any of these decent besides Mopar? Mopar is $366 and the rest around $130-ish.

jeep ride
11-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Not sure who makes the NAPA boxes but I do know their quality has gone way down on all their rebuilt parts.

jeep ride
11-23-2015, 07:35 PM
Not sure who makes the NAPA boxes but I do know their quality has gone way down on all their rebuilt parts.

toocheaptosmoke
11-23-2015, 10:50 PM
Just went through THREE Acdelco boxes on my dodge truck... Thought I'd spend the extra few bucks and get a quality box, all I got was pit crew fast at changing them and paying return shipping. Last box I got before that fiasco was a Lares, knock on wood so far it's been great and was like 50 bucks without a core charge. :042: