PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to casparis lately?

stranger ranger
12-29-2015, 09:31 PM
Was looking through some old pictures last night and came across a bunch from casparis years ago. Wondering if anyone still goes up there in a buggy. I talked to some guys by anchor on side x sides few months back and they said it's still traveled every weekend.
So many good trails up there.

Powerguy37
12-29-2015, 11:12 PM
Its been a few years for me. They were logging pretty heavy the the last time I was there. No idea if they still are.

The_War_Wagon
12-30-2015, 10:32 AM
Guess we could beer gOOgle's earth it - see if the trails are overgrown. :115:

JeepGeneral
12-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Still a very active area for ATVs and SxSs

DMG
12-30-2015, 11:08 AM
The summer before last we went through there on the way to Hawkins. It was a muddy mess from logging.

pghchamp
12-31-2015, 01:16 PM
Went there last year for my birthday. Got a fine in the mail a couple days later...

Powerguy37
12-31-2015, 01:56 PM
Went there last year for my birthday. Got a fine in the mail a couple days later...
From who?

ridgerunner97
12-31-2015, 02:02 PM
PGC They were patrolling heavily there. Also be it known that the state is using remote observation technology in the form of Game Cameras linked to smartphone to aid in curtailing "poaching" and illegal ATV operation. If I can find the link discussing it and the grant money they received I'll post it.

DMG
12-31-2015, 02:07 PM
They really should post it and block the road back there if they are ticketing people for being there. The Connellsville trails are essentially a public road.

ridgerunner97
12-31-2015, 08:11 PM
Only to the log yard technically

DMG
12-31-2015, 09:15 PM
Only to the log yard technically

Then they need to post it if they want to enforce it. There used to be a dirt road that went back to the abandoned village by Hawkins Hollow. I am not sure what has became of that.

ridgerunner97
01-01-2016, 02:13 AM
It's there, it's just a trace now Dave.

The_War_Wagon
01-01-2016, 09:38 AM
They really should post it and block the road back there if they are ticketing people for being there. The Connellsville trails are essentially a public road.

But then they couldn't mail you fines! :roll:

tceraso
01-02-2016, 09:36 AM
PGC Did a cooperation agreement with Hansen Stone. We were on Hansen's property so they fined us for being on lands controlled by the PGC. They saw pictures of us on Facebook and issued the fines based on that. In the end none of us wanted to fight the fine so we all paid.

pghchamp
01-02-2016, 10:39 AM
From who?

Game commision. Said they seen on a camera? Idk first time there and my last lol

ridgerunner97
01-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Yup it's not what it used to be. Everyone is using technology. Pretty shitty for the locals...

DMG
01-02-2016, 12:37 PM
I wonder if the road down to Hawkins fron Connellsville is still on maps?

ridgerunner97
01-02-2016, 02:06 PM
Modern maps? Are you talking the ancient wagon road or the modern road with the gate?

The_War_Wagon
01-02-2016, 03:13 PM
Game commision. Said they seen on a camera? Idk first time there and my last lol

Borrow some license plates off the wall at Quaker Steak - swap 'em before you go in, swap 'em back when you come out! :flipoff2:

DMG
01-02-2016, 03:43 PM
The ancient wagon road that goes in from Connellsville and winds down to that old village near the train bridge.

ridgerunner97
01-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Last map I recall seeing that on was an OLD USGS Topo map dated in the 60s or older...and it's not named on that one just shows a trace. I think it's rightful name at some point is River Road, but I've always heard it called the shelf road, the point trace or the wagon road.

ridgerunner97
01-02-2016, 08:04 PM
The old Village at the bottom is Hampton I believe. There was an old settlement above the shelf road on the face of that point at one point. It's called somebody's farm I just can't remember the name. It was still passable a few years back. I took a ATV down it and had to pull cable in the bad spot to come back up it. It's the worst it's been in a loooong time when. I was there hate to see it now.

ridgerunner97
01-02-2016, 08:09 PM
There is also a road that goes up the spine of that point above the wagon road that EVENTUALLY can take you up to the log yard, it's steep and tight. Ask Dana and Superscout LOL there is still a Scout flare laying back there some where and I know there hasn't been a fullsize up through there in several years. We were the first through there in 4x4s since the 70s according to my local friends.

DMG
01-02-2016, 10:40 PM
The old Village at the bottom is Hampton I believe. There was an old settlement above the shelf road on the face of that point at one point. It's called somebody's farm I just can't remember the name. It was still passable a few years back. I took a ATV down it and had to pull cable in the bad spot to come back up it. It's the worst it's been in a loooong time when. I was there hate to see it now.

I have been through there in the LJ a few times.

stranger ranger
01-03-2016, 04:33 PM
For a few years in a row we used to travel that switchback from Hawkins train tress up to the log yard. Caught dmg red handed there on the "bad spot" once too lol. But I think we were prob some of the very few ppl who done it. There was a group of quads at the log yard one day and they asked where we came from, after telling them from Hawkins they almost didn't believe us. They called it rock alley.
In any case, no license plate on my buggy so they'd need to be standing there to issue the fine. There was always one nice rock trail I always wanted to check out, straight past the log yard once threw all the mud holes then off to the right. You could go up or down but never been back to inspectigate any further. Almost worth paying the fine cause there is so.much potential up there. How much was the fine, whoever got it?

DMG
01-03-2016, 06:14 PM
For a few years in a row we used to travel that switchback from Hawkins train tress up to the log yard. Caught dmg red handed there on the "bad spot" once too lol. But I think we were prob some of the very few ppl who done it. There was a group of quads at the log yard one day and they asked where we came from, after telling them from Hawkins they almost didn't believe us. They called it rock alley.
In any case, no license plate on my buggy so they'd need to be standing there to issue the fine. There was always one nice rock trail I always wanted to check out, straight past the log yard once threw all the mud holes then off to the right. You could go up or down but never been back to inspectigate any further. Almost worth paying the fine cause there is so.much potential up there. How much was the fine, whoever got it?

I remember, that was a good day of swimming and off-roading. Even with getting chunks of Josh's tire stuck to me, LOL.

HoodRN
01-03-2016, 09:51 PM

Control of property violation is a summary offense of the fifth degree. Fine of not less than 100.00, not more than 200.00. Sliding scale set by local district judge.

Stannis
04-06-2016, 01:31 PM
So, just to be clear... Are there still trails that are legal to 4x4 on in Casparis? I live about 45 minutes away and was planning on heading there sometime in the next couple weeks.

joshs1ofakindxj
04-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Stranger danger!

Stannis
04-06-2016, 03:12 PM
Stranger danger!

Ahhh, Guess I should've checked in...

flimmy
04-06-2016, 08:23 PM
So, just to be clear... Are there still trails that are legal to 4x4 on in Casparis? I live about 45 minutes away and was planning on heading there sometime in the next couple weeks.

I don't think there are any legal trails up there . You either on private property or game lands. The road going in might be a twp road but its not marked where it starts or ends so your risking fines.

Stannis
04-09-2016, 08:57 AM
I don't think there are any legal trails up there . You either on private property or game lands. The road going in might be a twp road but its not marked where it starts or ends so your risking fines.

Thanks.

Anyone know if there is anywhere legal to wheel that is closer than Rausch Creek Off-Road Park?

XJchris98
04-09-2016, 09:45 AM
Southington Off-Road Park in Ohio is worth the short drive across the border. It's not a huge park, but there's enough to keep you busy.

Rock Run in Patton, PA is quickly becoming a great place to go wheeling and is about 1/2 the drive to Rausch. New trails are being cut/cleared every year so there's always something new to find. You can easily spend an entire weekend here.

The_War_Wagon
04-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Wellsville is just across the river, north of Steubenville.

Stannis
04-09-2016, 12:46 PM
The_War_Wagon

Wellsville is just across the river, north of Steubenville.

Today, 09:45 AM
XJchris98

Southington Off-Road Park in Ohio is worth the short drive across the border. It's not a huge park, but there's enough to keep you busy.

Rock Run in Patton, PA is quickly becoming a great place to go wheeling and is about 1/2 the drive to Rausch. New trails are being cut/cleared every year so there's always something new to find. You can easily spend an entire weekend here.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate it.