PDA

View Full Version : I was thinking an expidition this summer, remote off road camping fishing ect. maybe Centralia

astesprit
01-28-2016, 08:33 PM
My buddy and I have been putting some though onto an expidition. , not sure where yet,, I've heard of unmaintained pipe lines that run hundreds of miles
Wanted to see of there is any interest or ideas for this summer, as of now its all in the air so any suggestions are welcome!

condortaco01
01-28-2016, 11:37 PM
It's kind of hard to get too far off the beaten path in PA. Bald Eagle State Forest has some nice trails. Check out expedition portal for some trip ideas.

DMG
01-29-2016, 07:44 AM
I am down for some expedition/exploring.

Bax
01-29-2016, 09:49 AM
I would also be interested.
it would give me an excuse to get the truck running.

astesprit
01-29-2016, 02:43 PM
Cool, any other ideas? Ofy funds were right I would love to explore Maine. For now I figure with in a few hours from here, I was thinking 5 or 6 rigs ,, o am really interested in Centralia,, o have been doing some your tubing and it seams like a lot of abandoned trails

astesprit
01-29-2016, 02:45 PM
My phone sucks at txting

always broke
01-29-2016, 03:34 PM
One thing to consider is that just because a pipeline right of way or power line stretches for miles and miles doesn't mean it doesn't cross dozens of people's private property. You really want to do some research before you head out. It would be really tough to do without trespassing. I'd be surprised if you can find a place in PA to do that. Centralia is cool, but not sure how much is there. Doubt you'll find anywhere in PA that you can explore for hundreds and hundreds of miles. About the only place within a day's drive you can do that is The North Woods of Maine. 3.5 million acres privately owned by timber companies. There are 1000s of miles of two tracks there you could explore for a whole summer. You could probably plan some dirt road only travel through the ANF for a while. But in the summer most of the Collins brothers timber company roads are gated until hunting season

astesprit
01-29-2016, 04:17 PM
Interesting info,, and I have been researching a few different places,,wv has some open logging roads that have gone to shit ,, a lot to explore. I won't take my rig anywhere that is posted and if there's already trails and not posted usually people don't care ,, I am respectul of anywhere I wheel and camp and I haven't had much issue ,, there's tons of places all over that are like Wellsville and for now its OK but who knows for the future ,, its amazing what u can find on google maps,,

The_War_Wagon
01-29-2016, 05:09 PM
There's some GREAT logging roads to explore, down in the Nantahala National Forest way down in sw NC (along the GA border), that I explored 25 years ago in my Bronco - great primitive camping too. Would love to find a place like that around here.

astesprit
01-29-2016, 05:48 PM
That's what I'm going for ,, family oriented but beer also lol and camping,, don't want to be told where and when I can do something like an offtoad park plus they charge money, there is a place in wv. Its a bridge called Jenkinsburg bridge. I used to go with buddies and jump like 70ft into the water below and there's a ton of trails everywhere.. Never explored because I didn't have a rig at the time and I may consider that area but may have to recon a bit. Its only 2 hours from me and I am north of pitt

J.M.
01-29-2016, 06:17 PM
I'm in, keep me posted on that too. I built my rig for exploration/camping/overlanding in mind. I am currently looking into Vermont trails. Lot's of un-maintained roads that are well mapped up there.
If there is something closer, I'd take that.

DMG
01-29-2016, 08:16 PM
I think Mykal knows a lot of places down in WV. Hopefully he stops by and sees this.

astesprit
01-29-2016, 09:45 PM
Awesome info,, and Vermont would be interesting ,, but all i think of is ticks ,, and their just as bad in pa, I'm all about fishing camping and wheeling ,, ,, o dont see myself alone in the middle of nowhere with me and my family(2 little girls and girlfriend) I think it would be great for a decent size group hopefully mid summer would be a good time maybe after the 4th July ,, im open to where especially if someone has personal experience in a certain area

muddeprived
01-29-2016, 11:03 PM
I think Mykal knows a lot of places down in WV. Hopefully he stops by and sees this.

I've seen him posting over on Pirate every now and then. You guys can find him over there.

The_War_Wagon
01-30-2016, 12:24 AM
I've seen him posting over on Pirate every now and then. You guys can find him over there.

Check with jopickens, too. I know HE knows some good spots in WV!

astesprit
01-30-2016, 05:31 PM
I am going to investigate a couple areas in the near future, any other suggestions, anyone else interest in an excursion this summer? When plans get set I will make a posting with details

condortaco01
01-30-2016, 10:55 PM
I would like to get involved with this. I've bounced around the ANF quite a bit, nothing real challenging. I've heard about Bald Eagle SF but never been there. If not WV then possibly NY, up around the Adirondacks.

astesprit
01-31-2016, 10:14 AM
That sounds good, you guys with big tires ever drive your rig for hours at at time on the high way?,, I'm not sure how my swampers would hold up at 55+ for a few hours

DMG
01-31-2016, 05:10 PM
I have driven fairly far with Iroks and TSLs. It kind of sucks. If you plan on doing a lot of miles I would consider a set of milder tires like BFG KO2s or MTRs to use for trips. They are cheaper, won't wear out as fast on the road, won't hurt mpg as bad and won't shake the shit out of you and your truck. What are the details on your truck, btw?

astesprit
01-31-2016, 05:26 PM
89 xj stroked 37s Dana 60s winch and ect

astesprit
01-31-2016, 05:35 PM
I haven't put any fast miles on the swampers but I do have a set of 35s that have road manners,, I may see about a more road worthy set of 37s

Tom'sToyotaFarm
01-31-2016, 06:40 PM
I had a 78 Ford truck with 36x12.50 radial tsl swampers. I drove it everywhere, To Wellsville, Altoona, Dubois to go wheeling. Detroit lockers, 4:88 gears. I got about 20,000 miles out of them. The tire hum on the highway always put my girlfriend to sleep. Lol. It had a Dana 44 front and Ford 9 inch rear. Never had any problems with the axles either.

astesprit
01-31-2016, 06:51 PM
Awesome makes me feel a little more confident,,,

astesprit
01-31-2016, 07:09 PM
My phone sucks

Mykal
02-01-2016, 03:49 PM

I still check this site every once in awhile. Stopped lurking Pirate after I got rid of the last Jeep.

To find public roadways in WV you will want to download the states county road maps (http://www.transportation.wv.gov/highways/programplanning/gti/GIS/MAPS/Pages/WVMapGISSelect.aspx) and look for impassable county roads.

You can go from Cheat Lake, WV to Preston County and never touch hardball. There are a few good spots for camping along the way.
Pickens, might have GPS tracks for some of the roads.

DMG
02-01-2016, 09:06 PM
I still check this site every once in awhile. Stopped lurking Pirate after I got rid of the last Jeep.

To find public roadways in WV you will want to download the states county road maps (http://www.transportation.wv.gov/highways/programplanning/gti/GIS/MAPS/Pages/WVMapGISSelect.aspx) and look for impassable county roads.

You can go from Cheat Lake, WV to Preston County and never touch hardball. There are a few good spots for camping along the way.
Pickens, might have GPS tracks for some of the roads.

I'm glad you stopped by. So are you out of wheeling now? The route from Cheat Lake to Preston County, does it have any tough spots or is it mostly dirt roads?

Mykal
02-01-2016, 10:14 PM
I'm glad you stopped by. So are you out of wheeling now? The route from Cheat Lake to Preston County, does it have any tough spots or is it mostly dirt roads?

Yeah, pretty much. Florida just doesn't have much to offer in the way of rocks and I don't like mud.
Cheat lake has a power line trail on it that runs parallel to sand springs road with rock gardens scattered through out. Nothing extreme.
Once you get into Pisgah, WV you can go a few different routes. Off of Bull Run there is a 30' waterfall with a nice rock area to play on. Great place to camp.
Once you get into Kingwood, WV there is Peddlers Glory Rd that is the goat path to Terra Alta, WV. Lots of good stuff in there.
From there you can get lost in Preston county and end up in Maryland fairly easy. I don't suggest that though. Hippies there don't like guns.

If this comes to fruition I can give you some better directions. Honestly you should try to talk RidgeRunner into taking a ride with you and let him show you these places. He should remember where they are. You can scout them all within a day of driving except for the rd from Kingwood to Terra Alta. Depending on the weather that can be an entire day trip alone. They are all worth checking out over a weekend though for sure.

ridgerunner97
02-01-2016, 11:17 PM
I remember the ways quite well fellas. I acquired a 5.9 grand I'm working on prepping.

astesprit
02-02-2016, 03:41 AM
That's great ,, that area is beautiful prime land for a somewhat local expidition, I am also prepping and looking forward to it.

ridgerunner97
02-02-2016, 06:25 AM
I'll get ahold of Pickens, plan a spring ride. Idk if he has any street legal wheelers right now or not, don't know how the WV law would receive mine and his plated insured crawlers...

DMG
02-02-2016, 07:39 AM
I have a couple of street legal wheelers if you want to do a scouting run, John.

The_War_Wagon
02-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Expedition run sounds like fun. The RC is built more for that than rock crawling. Keep us apprised of dates or scouting expeditions.

ridgerunner97
02-02-2016, 10:15 PM
I have a couple of street legal wheelers if you want to do a scouting run, John.

I appreciate that Dave but the 5.9 will be ready. Gonna put 4x4 steel in for rockers and tidy a few things up.

highlandercj-7
02-02-2016, 10:19 PM
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/143423-Anyone-interested-in-a-three-day-West-Virginia-Backcountry-trip?highlight=West+Virginia

highlandercj-7
02-02-2016, 10:24 PM
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/120302-Mountain-State-Overland-exploring-and-protecting-appalachia?highlight=mountain+state

DMG
02-03-2016, 09:33 PM
Expedition portal is a great site. I wish they focused more on our part of the country.

Arailt
03-05-2016, 12:49 PM
Hey guys. I'm new here, but I'd be really interested in an overlanding trip. My Tacoma isn't the most outfitted truck, but it can hold its own.

I did a good bit of wheeling around Cheat Lake and Bruceton Mills in my TJ when I was at WVU in the early '00s, so I may have been on some of those roads in WV that were mentioned. There's some beautiful scenery down that way.

The_War_Wagon
03-05-2016, 03:59 PM
I'll get ahold of Pickens, plan a spring ride. Idk if he has any street legal wheelers right now or not, don't know how the WV law would receive mine and his plated insured crawlers...

He's got at LEAST one mild street legal Ramcharger. Looks like mine, only green. :004:

jopickens
03-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Clean and green on 33" BFG ATs...

http://ezpickens.com/josh/20160122winterstormjonas/mallcrawlerinthesnow.jpg

The_War_Wagon
03-09-2016, 12:40 AM
Clean and green on 33" BFG ATs...

I'd even drive in front of you - to knock down anything that might scratch it! :040:

DMG
03-20-2016, 08:14 PM
How about the ramcharger boys get a room and the rest of us get this thread back on track.

Are we going to do a prerun exploration run with just a couple of trucks or just go for it?
Where do we start from?
When can we do it.

Bax
03-21-2016, 08:09 AM
I can do a pre-run if someone is interested (I have no idea where i am going)

We are going to have better stories if we don't do a prerun and we all get lost and stuck.

The_War_Wagon
03-21-2016, 10:08 AM
How about the ramcharger boys get a room and the rest of us get this thread back on track.

Jealous. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt002.gif

Bax
03-21-2016, 10:17 AM
Are you going to have your 4Runner done in time or are you taking the land cruiser?

Are we going to do a prerun exploration run with just a couple of trucks or just go for it?
Where do we start from?
When can we do it.

astesprit
03-21-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm down for a pre run,, my jeep should be done by the end of next week

DMG
03-21-2016, 11:39 AM
Are you going to have your 4Runner done in time or are you taking the land cruiser?

Either land cruiser or tundra.

Tom'sToyotaFarm
03-21-2016, 12:56 PM
I can go on a 1 day prerun if I'm off on whatever day you guys pick.

Katamarino
03-22-2016, 11:04 AM
We are going to have better stories if we don't do a prerun and we all get lost and stuck.

This.

ridgerunner97
03-22-2016, 02:41 PM
No need to pre run ladies. Follow Ridgerunner, I won't lead you astray unless we pass a rinky dirty roadhouse with a PBR sign and Waylon Jennings blaring from the door with loose trashy mountain whores running around, then the trip stops fellas, and ya'll can KMAG YOYO!

joshs1ofakindxj
03-22-2016, 02:44 PM
No need to pre run ladies. Follow Ridgerunner, I won't lead you astray unless we pass a rinky dirty roadhouse with a PBR sign and Waylon Jennings blaring from the door with loose trashy mountain whores running around, then the trip stops fellas, and ya'll can KMAG YOYO!

*This post has been reported to your mother for review. Thank you.*

ridgerunner97
03-22-2016, 02:46 PM
LMAO mommy knows I'm no angel Joshua, but she is a saint.

joshs1ofakindxj
03-22-2016, 03:10 PM
LMAO mommy knows I'm no angel Joshua, but she is a saint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWNKHi2joJE

ridgerunner97
03-22-2016, 03:14 PM
Yup LOL

joshs1ofakindxj
03-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Please plan a trip that a stock 1500 Sierra can make*. Mmmmkaythnxbye.

*Without body damage!

DMG
03-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Please plan a trip that a stock 1500 Sierra can make*. Mmmmkaythnxbye.

*Without body damage!

We can go to the mall :flipoff2:

88wd21
03-22-2016, 07:37 PM
Depends on the mall... DOOR DINGS!

Maple__Man
03-24-2016, 09:38 AM
doesn't rausch creek have primitive camping for free? idk if someone already said something about it or not.....

joshs1ofakindxj
03-24-2016, 01:57 PM
Yup, you can sleep in the parking lot in your truck, or pitch a tent and make a fire in the tree line. I did that once in February. You're up on a hill without much wind protection so it's rough.

astesprit
03-25-2016, 01:34 AM
That would defeat the purpose,, I'm not interested in paying money to follow directions and be told where to camp/fish ect,, going to an off road park and calling it an expidition would not make much sense,, but to go to several off road parks on an adventure would be a different story,,, I would like to keep it cheap and simple this first time and maybe next time plan something a little farther and longer of a trip,. I am excited for an adventure,, any ideas on set plans??

The_War_Wagon
03-25-2016, 11:17 AM
I am excited for an adventure,, any ideas on set plans??

I say we run power line trails until the electricity cops show up, and then we try and lose 'em! :082:

Actually, that WAS 4-wheeling in the piedmont of NC in the early '80's. Pretty much describes MOST of my hi skrool wheeling experiences! :wt:

Maple__Man
04-05-2016, 10:55 AM
I say we run power line trails until the electricity cops show up, and then we try and lose 'em! :082:

Actually, that WAS 4-wheeling in the piedmont of NC in the early '80's. Pretty much describes MOST of my hi skrool wheeling experiences! :wt:

im down for that lol, ill bring the wife so she can tell me when i need to go faster and when to hit the brakes lol!

Bax
04-22-2016, 09:07 AM
has anyone picked a date yet?

ridgerunner97
04-22-2016, 08:05 PM
Nope lol been busy as ****

DMG
06-14-2016, 09:11 AM
What is happening with this?

joshs1ofakindxj
06-14-2016, 10:55 AM
I've taken a couple expeditions to the mall already this year!

astesprit
06-14-2016, 01:08 PM
I've been so busy but my jeep is finally almost done , I figure a couple more weeks and I'll start making set plans on a date and location. But it seems wv may be the location,, I would like to do some kind of expedition every year.

The_War_Wagon
06-14-2016, 01:08 PM
I've taken a couple expeditions to the mall already this year!

Pffft... MY Jeep does that weekly. :110:

Alley
06-14-2016, 01:26 PM
I was just at the mall yesterday in my Stock JKU .... Now I have an exhaust leak.

Though if I get enough parts on the TJ before this actually happens I'd be glad to forage around WV in my little 4 cylinder!!

DMG
08-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Are you referring to Rinky Dinks Roadhouse? It isn't the same since the guard pig died.

The_War_Wagon
08-13-2016, 06:45 PM
Are you referring to Rinky Dinks Roadhouse? It isn't the same since the guard pig died.

Is that the joint in Brookline off 51? :081: