PDA

View Full Version : Need new shocks, damn bilsteins.

muddeprived
02-03-2016, 08:01 PM
My 5100's pooped out earlier than I expected. It's like having a shock filled with marbles instead of gas. It's just horrible.

Most aftermarket shocks go by lift height and what I've seen is 4.5 inch lifts use 24-25 inch shocks. The bilsteins I have are 28.8" or something like that and fit pretty well with my long arms. I'm 22" at ride height so a 24-25" shock will not work. I refuse to buy skyjacker, RC, superlift, Rusty's, etc, all that cheap crap. I need something good and durable but won't kill my wallet. I could adjust my bumpstops and run a 26 or 27 inch shock if I need to.

Any recommendations?

$300 is cool.

$400 is pushing it

$500 is f-ing insane

ridgerunner97
02-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Doetsch Tech DT8000

DMG
02-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Is it possible your bilstiens were being used as bumpstops? Usually 5100s last. I put Foxs on the land cruiser and they are nice but not measurably better than bilstiens. The Rock Krawler shocks are pretty nice, too.

muddeprived
02-04-2016, 07:37 AM
Is it possible your bilstiens were being used as bumpstops? Usually 5100s last. I put Foxs on the land cruiser and they are nice but not measurably better than bilstiens. The Rock Krawler shocks are pretty nice, too.

Nah I have it bumpstopped correctly and I've never taken off the sway bar.

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/Chriseatsmud/bilsteins_zpsptujkzmw.jpg (http://s693.photobucket.com/user/Chriseatsmud/media/bilsteins_zpsptujkzmw.jpg.html)

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/muddeprived/shockshaft_zpsezxjiiuj.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/user/muddeprived/media/shockshaft_zpsezxjiiuj.jpg.html)

This is them next to new 5100's for 3" lift. I stuck the 3" shocks on just to test the ride and it was back to normal with them. Stuck the old ones back on and bang bang, clunk clunk. Bleh.

The shaft is in perfect condition but the body is kinda rusty. It's not rusted through, just heavy surface rust. There is no damage anywhere on the shocks. I expected these to last a little longer than 5 years of road use but guess not.

muddeprived
02-04-2016, 07:42 AM
Doetsch Tech DT8000

I've had a few recommendations for this shock. I wonder what's so special about it? They ain't another ordinary white tube shock?

3JsWJ
02-04-2016, 02:46 PM
Bilstein 5100s should have a lifetime warranty if you want to go through that process.

On the other hand, I liked the DT8000s that I had on better than the Bilstein 5100s that I have on now.

ridgerunner97
02-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Idk Mud, I thought they were a nice heavy built shock and I LOVED then on my XJ

muddeprived
02-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Well Kolak on Jeepforum is going to try to get my bilsteins replaced under warranty since e-shocks.com is not responding to my emails (place of purchase). If this works out then great, I save $300 bucks. If not then I'll go with DT8000's.

I need to get a can or four of Fluid Film. No more rust. F-in hate it.

muddeprived
02-04-2016, 07:03 PM
Idk Mud, I thought they were a nice heavy built shock and I LOVED then on my XJ

How would you say they are valved? Stiff? Soft? Mid?

ridgerunner97
02-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Ummm, Idk LOL i'm not suspension tuner. I know that with my long leafs, relocators, boomerang shackles and front rubicon express coils that Jeep rode great hauling ass and crawling. If I had to guess they were kinda on the middle of the road side i'd say but maybe a little firm, they did well at speed offroad in the fire roads and powerlines, and rode great down the road.

XJchris98
02-04-2016, 10:01 PM
I need to get a can or four of Fluid Film. No more rust. F-in hate it.

Good choice on rust prevention. Kellsport has it on sale right now, 10%off.

muddeprived
02-08-2016, 01:10 PM
I decided to check out the rear shocks and also zip tie the shafts to verify that my bumpstops are working and they are not over-compressing. I found that the rear shock boots were filled with oil (can-up) but the fronts were not leaking at all.

I gave the keys to the lady and told her to beat on it hard. I hope it comes back in one piece and then we'll see how much shock shaft is actually used. I'm pretty sure I bumped it correctly since there's dirt on the top inch of the shaft.