PDA

View Full Version : PA Inspection question

jackb1
05-13-2016, 01:09 PM
I recently bought a KTM and am putting the lights, etc. on it for street use. It was imported with a PA MC title, so it has a clear registration, plate and insurance from PA. It just didn't have ANY of the lights, etc.

I added headlight, taillight, turn signals, brake light, front and rear brake swiches, horn, hi/low headlight, DOT tires and wheels.

I've been taking my stuff to the same guy for a long time and he's hammering me on this. We've worked out most of the items, but he swears that I still need 2 things:

1. My lights need to function anytime the bike is running. I have them on an independent circuit with their own on/off switch so they only work if I turn them on, unlike factory bikes that work anytime a bike is running.

2. I need some sort of LED to indicate when my turn signals are on so I don't accidentally leave them on and not know it. Again, factory bikes have this.

At the end of the day, I know it's his decision if he wants to put a sticker on it or not so I'm not mad. It's his livelihood, but he swears in the PA code and I've never heard of either of these. Total BS or not?

redbank
05-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Pretty sure he is right, my old dirt bike converted to street had both of these items you questioned. Of course, when I had mine inspected I didn't have dot tires and passed without incident.

DMG
05-14-2016, 08:58 AM
I would ask him to show you both those items in the inspection book. There are a lot of things that are common to vehicles so we expect to see them but they are not in the book.

If they are in the book, wire a tiny led into the turn signal wire for each side and wire the low beam to the bikes on/off switch. Then remove them until next inspection if you want.

JeepGeneral
05-14-2016, 10:15 AM
It should have everything that a standard street motorcycle would have. Most of the issues we see are turn signal indicator lights, high beam indicator lights and a neutral indicator light.

I was looking at converting something years ago and Trail Tech's odometer seemed to be the best way to go. They offer a separate piece for it that included turn signal, high beam and neutral indicators.

DMG
05-14-2016, 12:01 PM
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV%20Manuals/Pub_45%20Inspections%20Regulations/PUB-45.pdf

I didn't see it in the manual. Maybe you guys can find those items.

jackb1
05-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Thanks Dave. I don't really mind having them, and wouldn't bother to remove. I just didn't want to wait another week to ride, but was installing them regardless. Just frustrated that he gave me a punch list, then gave me another a week later after he did the first set. He hadn't ridden it the first time and said he just didn't notice it. I get it, but it's been 3 weeks for small crap and I just want to ride.

JeepGeneral
05-16-2016, 02:33 PM
At the end of the day it's up to your technician, their name is on the sticker and their license may (or may not) be on the line. I will never ask my guys to sticker anything they're not comfortable with, it's 100% up to them. I was actually shocked how tight they were when I first started, but have now come to expect them to be.

jackb1
05-16-2016, 03:08 PM
I completely respect it being his decision to sticker or not. But he doesn't make the rules. I'd rather him be honest and say "I don't want to do it" than tell me it's code if it is not. I'm pretty reasonable but I like honesty and his track record of honesty has kept me going back (even after I lost a wheel on the way home once).

I did see where it says I need a neutral, high beam and turn indicators. I did not see where I need them to be hard wired without a cutout to the vehicle wiring.

DMG
05-16-2016, 06:22 PM
At the end of the day it's up to your technician, their name is on the sticker and their license may (or may not) be on the line. I will never ask my guys to sticker anything they're not comfortable with, it's 100% up to them. I was actually shocked how tight they were when I first started, but have now come to expect them to be.

Very true.

JeepGeneral
05-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Why not try another shop? The only risk is a failed inspection fee ($24 at my shop).

jackb1
05-20-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm actually riding it today for the first time. I really like the guy and he's always been great with me. I just didn't like him using the "it's required by code" excuse... I've known him too long get BS. I'd be fine with him just saying he didn't want to inspect it. We worked it out. Some of what he wanted was code, some was his own preference. End of the day, he's just doing what he thinks is safe and I know that.

joshs1ofakindxj
05-20-2016, 10:20 AM
Sounds like a real pain in the rear. So did you get a pass on the having the lights on all the time? What was the final result on everything, for curiosity's sake.

jackb1
05-21-2016, 06:07 PM
He did everything he wanted and I paid for it... basically. He let me go on the high beam indicator since he figures leaving a high beam on isn't a bad thing on a bike. Didn't make me do a neutral light because he found that it wasn't code and he didn't care. He did wire two turn signal indicators (which I actually do like having now) and they are code. He wired the headlight to be on anytime the bike is on but it isn't code as far as he could prove. He just wouldn't do it otherwise.
I did about 100 miles yesterday. It's a lot of fun, not so much fun on the highway though. It will probably do 95ish? but it's just asking too much of it for long 70mph stretches. Going to be a lot of fun 10-50 after I get more comfortable with it.

The only downside so far is that I feel like I need a monster energy hat to put on when I get off it.

DMG
05-22-2016, 10:08 AM
What model Ktm is it? I ride dual sports with a couple of guys with 525s and they are quick.

HeepH8erTy
05-23-2016, 10:40 AM
The only downside so far is that I feel like I need a monster energy hat to put on when I get off it.

HAHAHA isn't that sad?

Yea, what size is it? A guy I ride with dual sports a KTM500. I think its a perfect DS, you can take it easy on it, and if you want to open it up, it is a friggin beast! Lol I felt like I was slowly getting pulled off the back when I opened it up.

Also, what are you plans with it? Superretard it? Keep it DS? The next dirt bike that I build will be one of the two...hard to decided which I'd rather have though.

jackb1
05-26-2016, 08:42 AM
It's a 2004 KTM MXC 525. It's an EXC with a close ratio transmission and bigger fuel tank. It was supposed to be a desert racing bike by design.

It didn't have any lights (even headlight) so I did all the lights, 17" wheels and street tires and went from a 13/48 to a 14/44. It isn't a highway commuter. It's able to run 75 on the highway but seems like I'd be asking too much to do it on a regular basis or extended periods. Guessing it tops out around 90-95. I've been off a bike for 2 years so I'm going to ease my way back in.

This is the only pic I have from a few weeks ago. I think the radiator shrouds are all that wasn't on.

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AACI6iSd4BDZ8TSm02YQLu4d_9DyZv9c3iYEU_neVdiTTQ/12/165393992/jpeg/32x32/3/1464282000/0/2/Ktm.jpeg/ENfTgH4YzQEgBygH/Wvvf4uYLnIB5nq4dTwWTvb7aiNnL3QPiXy5SHIgW5jI?size_m ode=3&size=1600x1200