PDA

View Full Version : MOTORS

xsjado
01-26-2005, 01:12 AM
Ok, here is the deal. I have a '91 wrangler, I6. It has lots of miles, and wont last forever, so i want a new motor. I am just looking for another I6. Now my issue is i dont know aht is compatible. I am finding motors from cherokess's and older wrangler's on ebay, with decent mileage for good prices. I am just not sure what will actually fit, does anyone know where i can find a list of what motors are compatible with my jeep? Or maybe off-hand you would know???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7950325829&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7950329483&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4522248499&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

those are the three i found tonight, someone please let me know anything, if one of them would work or wahtever, im desperate! :roll: [/url]

Jpdst29
01-26-2005, 12:02 PM
i am in the same boat...in about a year or so i am probably going to put a new engine in my ZJ as well....i have found a couple I6 engines on ebay with under 15k miles that i was thinking of getting....they run around a grand though....but i am willing to pay that much for a solid running engine...i was thinking maybe a rebuild too...

i wonder what would be better???

LordAthens
01-26-2005, 12:21 PM
I remember I think it was Mark telling me, there is a place going out towards the trails in Connellsville that has full long blocks out of Cherokees with low mileage for ~600.

xsjado - Is your YJ a daily driver or a project? Also, 91, that's EFI yes?

If it's a project and you have a little time to spend on it, IMO you're better off pulling the motor, going over it with a fine toothed comb rebuilding it and then.. stroke it. .020 over with the stroker kit will get you a 4.5L torque monster. Plus, .020 over gets you nice, clean, tight cylinders.

My 2c.

Jpdst29
01-26-2005, 12:26 PM
i like that idea brandon....rebuilding the engine...do they sell rebuild kits for my I6 engine or will i have to get all the parts seperate and what components do you rebuild in the engine...also...do they sell a stroker kit...or do i have to scrounge up parts for it...

sorry for all the ?'s...

xsjado
01-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Mine is also a daily driver for now. so id rather be semi quick about pulling the old one and dropping a newer one.

LordAthens
01-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Accurate Power, Hesco and a few other's make a stroker kit for the EFI 4.0.

You can get the kits, a bit pricey but everything is there. $1900 gets you .030 over pistons, stroker crank (it's the old 258 crank basically), new cam and lifters, rods, gaskets, hiflo oil pump, injectors, etc. Basically, it's an entire rebuild kit for pretty much the entire bottom half of the motor and then some. About the only thing not getting replaced are the valves and valve springs.

You can get standard bore pistons from them, but I'd recommend spending the coin to have the block bored over for an engine with 100+ on it. Fresh tight cylinder walls, plus an extra cube or 3. That should all put the I6 in the neighborhood of 240+ HP and 300+ ft lb's.

Of course, a little more work and another 1k, you can do a Hemi swap ;)

As for just a straight rebuild kit, I would assume someone makes one but i'm not sure who.

MF Steve!
01-28-2005, 12:34 AM
stroke this...ive never heard anyone say a good thing about a stroked 4.0 except for it being a torque monster. plus...add in labor costs, machining, jordan def. needs the valve job, and the fact that a full header-back exhaust is highly recommended.

running 89+ or higher gas? no thanks. if i wanna eat gas, id def. say just go w/ a chevy 350 or a dodge 360...

xsjado
01-28-2005, 02:03 AM
I run premium, cause im a pimp like that. anyway really i just wanna know if someone can let me know where i can find what motor from what jeep is compatible with mine. cheeper that way, if all else fails ill just go for the basic rebuild. abou 800, i dont have anything near that kinda money though. :cry:

Bill
01-28-2005, 08:22 AM
An easy check on what part works with what...

www.car-parts.com

It is an online database of the local (and national) salvage yards.

OverkillZJ
01-28-2005, 10:24 AM
An easy check on what part works with what...

www.car-parts.com

It is an online database of the local (and national) salvage yards.

It's been wrong more times than I'd like to even talk about (read: honda project)

dp
01-29-2005, 09:20 AM
if upwards of a grand is in your budget, look at buying a completely reman engine. Advance Auto sells them built by recon. You can get a 36 month, unlimited mile warranty on some of the engines with as little wait time as 2-3 days to get it there (depending if they have it in the warehouse or not).

Otherwise, you're really just gambling if you're buying a rebuilt engine or an engine out of another vehicle that has never been rebuilt. Personally, I don't like to gamble -- and would rather spend the $1k and get it done right and backed with a warranty than spend $500 and have no warranty and find out the engine you swapped in is in worse shape than the engine you pulled out.

Jpdst29
01-29-2005, 09:30 AM
if upwards of a grand is in your budget, look at buying a completely reman engine. Advance Auto sells them built by recon. You can get a 36 month, unlimited mile warranty on some of the engines with as little wait time as 2-3 days to get it there (depending if they have it in the warehouse or not).

Otherwise, you're really just gambling if you're buying a rebuilt engine or an engine out of another vehicle that has never been rebuilt. Personally, I don't like to gamble -- and would rather spend the $1k and get it done right and backed with a warranty than spend $500 and have no warranty and find out the engine you swapped in is in worse shape than the engine you pulled out.

i like this idea alot...what is an estimated labor cost for a good mechanic to do an engine swap??? and is there anything i could do with the old engine to defray the cost of the new one?

OverkillZJ
01-29-2005, 10:48 AM
What makes you guys think you need new engines so badly.......

Jpdst29
01-29-2005, 11:12 AM
What makes you guys think you need new engines so badly.......

i dont...i just would like to consider it for the future...

dp
01-29-2005, 10:35 PM
heh...as far as the old engine, recon will want it back. There will be a $500 or so core charge on it if you don't turn it back in.

As far as cost, I'm not sure...I have only done two full swaps in my days as a mechanic -- one was a 4.0 in an explorer (I think that paid 9 hours) and a deisel in a truck (I think that one might have paid 12 or so) -- figure most shops would charge around $50 an hour -- and those were warranty times so figure 15 hours -- that's about $750 you'd have to pay the shop...now figure the mechanic is getting $16 an hour and getting paid $240 minus about 19 percent for taxes...that's about $200 he's really getting -- I'd say somewhere between $200 and $750 should be a fair price. Unless of course you knew the guy and bought him pizza and lots of beer or had something he wanted.

hope that helps.

OverkillZJ
01-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Or you could always use the ghetto matt and mark honda engine swap method ... where we used a come along attached to the I-beam in the garage, and pushed the car in place to lower it down :lol:

But then you'd have to wreck the car 3 days after finishing the swap!

xsjado
01-30-2005, 03:48 AM
My former garage, that i worked at, but not now charged 500 to pull a motor and put a new one in. as far as that link, ill check it out, thanks bill. but im probably looking at one of those reman engines. a grand is alot, but then im not gambling, which i like. i do enough risk taking.