PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tire question

oros35
08-02-2017, 09:16 AM
So my 14K gooseneck trailer needs new tires. Blew one out. What it came with (tires that are on it) are load range E. I was thinking about bumping up to a load range F or G. Other than cost is there any reason not to go with a heavier tire?

I often tow at the max GVW of the trailer. Was thinking it might be a good idea to go with an upgrade tire. Old ones are 11 years old.

joshs1ofakindxj
08-02-2017, 04:44 PM
Look up the load range of the specific tire you're buying. I randomly looked up a load range E trailer tire of an appropriate size and 4 of them would be rated for 14,560 lbs at 95 PSI. Given that a percentage is transferred to the truck I think you're very safe to stick with load range E tires if you verify the load ratings.

ridgerunner97
08-02-2017, 05:57 PM
I ran G on my dump trailer. They wore like Iron. Didn't need em for load range but they wore forever. Just recently an all steel radial tire has become available in 225 75 15 the common size on most 10k equipment trailers. They are offered in a 235 80 or 85 16 as well and load ranges E F G. So far at work on the rental equipment trailers that usually eat tires these tires are way outperforming the regular trailer tires we used to run in an E. Lots of us at work own heavier trailers and max them out religiously. Go with an all steel E they look like the commercial 17.5 tires, or go with the F and G
Piece of mind to me. I know your a tractor puller too so I'm aware of the weight involved. Once my PJ burns the stock tires off I'll be upgrading as well. Do it to it.

oros35
08-03-2017, 10:54 AM
Thanks! Talked to the local tire shop, they have E and G in stock. $200 difference for 4. About 500lbs capacity difference between them per tire, but overall construction is much better on the G tire. I think I'll go with the G's! Getting them after work today.

I'm not a fan of changing tires on the side of a 4 lane at 10pm on a Monday night... Lets not have to do that again.

XJchris98
08-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Keep us updated on tire brand/etc and how they wear. Unfortunately trailer tires are not something people talk about very much.

oros35
08-04-2017, 08:39 AM
Got em! They look great. I don't remember the brand at the moment. Nothing I've heard of. They are significantly heavier than the old E rated tires. They are full steel belt. Got them from Smiley's tire in Aliquippa.

ridgerunner97
08-04-2017, 03:53 PM
Nice. I'll work on the info from the tires I spoke of hopefully give the guys on here with 7 and 10k gvw car haulers and equipment trailers some good options to look at as well.