PDA

View Full Version : Flat towing vehicle

RalphDogg
10-10-2018, 06:17 PM
Is it legal to flat tow a vehicle with a tow bar when the vehicle being towed is not registered or insured????

joshs1ofakindxj
10-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Some discussion on the topic here:

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/oh-and-pa-tow-dolly-and-flat-towing-laws.282984/

If the vehicle in question to be towed has an auto trans, research if the driveshaft needs to be pulled.

RalphDogg
10-11-2018, 09:04 AM
I pill my rear drive shaft in the tracker when I tow it. According to what I found I am to leave it in second gear and put transfer case in neutral, which the front driveshaft still spins when the transfer cases in neutral. And since all my front differential parts leak fluid that doesn’t do well at 70 mph. So removing the rear driveshaft helps with multiple issues.

I am just so confused on the flat towing legality. Like towing a log splitter or concrete mixer, why don’t they needs license plates.

joshs1ofakindxj
10-12-2018, 10:00 AM
Generally pieces of equipment that do not haul anything other than their own permanently mounted equipment are exempt: log splitters, generators, welders, compressors, light stands.

But if it is a trailer that hauls things then it needs registration.

RalphDogg
10-13-2018, 01:23 PM
The jalopy page has a great deal of information. It’s basically common sense knowledge but it answers my questions. Thanks