PDA

View Full Version : welder...

PK
02-08-2005, 03:06 PM
Anyone want to recommend a body shop in the pittsburgh area that does a decent job with body panel welding?

Cheers,
PK

OverkillZJ
02-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Sorry PK, I don't have a clue... I can safely say not Maaco though ;)

dp
02-08-2005, 10:11 PM
I know a guy that does quality work. He worked professionally for around 10 years and has recently started his own business. From what I've heard, he's the best at what he does -- although I'm not sure he would be what you're looking for.

He doesn't take on many projects and when he does, I know he takes his good old time. He works solely off word of mouth and is as busy as he wants to be. He recently acquired a fairly large warehouse and all the equipment from a dealership who was bought out whose body work is done elsewhere.

What exactly are you looking to get done? Do you have the body panels and just need a few welds to put them together and then you'd to the rest of the work yourself? Or are you possibly interested in a quality job with little effort put forth on your end? What kind of a time schedule are you on -- how quickly does this need to be done?

Let me know and if you're interested, I'll pass your information on to him.

PK
02-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm restoring a car. I am fine doing cosmetic and mechanical things, but I cannot replace rusted body panels on my own.

I have the replacement NOS or remanufactured sheet metal for most of the damaged areas, what I am looking for is to have the damaged areas removed, the new panels welded in place, and ideally have the results be paint-prep ready or at least to the point where I could take it to a body shop to sand and finish the body.

It would be great if the place I take it to also fabricates panels, because there are at least a few areas that will need some custom cut pieces made and put in place to repair rust in the floor and trunk.

Anyway, my timeframe is pretty flexible. The car hasn't moved in about 8 months, while I have been working slowly on bringing it up to speed mechanically and cosmetically.

2002wranglerX
02-10-2005, 02:37 PM
curt's auto body. it's on Rt8. he's a good friend of mine. tell him dunbar sent ya and you'll get the best price he can give ya.