PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming wrenchin session

Bill
02-13-2005, 12:04 PM
I have been talking to a fellow "Jeeper-in-need" on another board I belong to. It looks like he needs a little help on installing a few things on his new Unlimited Rubicon. The guys name is Aaron, and he is a long-term Jeeper / wheeler with a few rigs and trips under his belt. There are a few problems to be mentioned though.

Problems:

1. His Jeep is currently at the dealer for some warranty work. He seems to be having some issues with the 6spd.

2. He is scheduled to get knee surgery in the beginning of March. He is not able to do much of the work himself and is looking for a little help. (This really isn't a problem in my opinion, just telling you folks what he told me.)

Parts to be installed:

1. OME lift
2. ARB Bull Bar
3. ARB Snorkel
4. Something else I just can't seem to remember right now.

I don't see the install of anything much of a problem, though I can't bring myself to cut the hole in my fender to install my ARB Snorkel so I doubt I am going to hack into his either (Anyone good with a holesaw?) The Jeep is a new 2005, so I don't see anything being much of an issue. I would hope all would go smooth but it is a Jeep so you never really know.

The wrenching will be in Washington PA at a date yet to be determined. He has already ordered the parts and is waiting for them to arrive. He has tools, and will provide pizza and beer for the little wrenchin' event.

I will be providing additional information as soon as I receive it. I just wanted to throw out the info that I have now as not to suprise anyone when the date is announced.

As always, the more the merrier. Those with install experience are always encouraged to attend, but those new to the group or the experience are welcome as well. These things are always educational and a good time. (Besides, everyone needs a good cameraman!)

I know Matt and Brandon are on board with me. I am going to personally invite Dave (DeaPee) since he and I are quickly becoming pros with Jeep lift installs and we work well together. Like I said, all are welcome. I will let you know when as soon as I know when.

-Bill

dp
02-13-2005, 07:09 PM
heh...just let me know.

As far as a hole-saw, I've drilled a few holes in a couple of airboxes before so I guess I consider myself a pro HAHAHA I'll cut a hole in his hood or gas tank if he wants me to. Should I bring a waiver for him to sign?

OverkillZJ
02-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Dave's doing the cutting ;)

Some of you know my rule: I don't touch sheet metal unless it's mine! And that I get pretty friendly with all sawzalls / cutoff wheels considered :lol:

I'll be there as long as I am in town. Find out about the air tools, that's a must as far as I'm concerned 8)

dp
02-13-2005, 09:06 PM
You ask for such luxuries as air tools? I will feel lucky if there is a cover over my head and it is not 20 degrees and freezing raining. haha. No, seriously though, I put my body lift on solo in the rain -- and changed my diff fluids in the 40-degree rain. I'm game for anything...just buy me some pizza.

Bill
02-13-2005, 09:09 PM
I will get the info on the air tools and the wrenching area.

I will also talk to him about the hole cutting... :lol:

MF Steve!
02-13-2005, 10:22 PM
ill drill the damn hole. ive got the holesaws for the job...and i think we should do bills too :D

xsjado
02-13-2005, 11:37 PM
i would go just for the pizza.

LordAthens
02-14-2005, 04:07 AM
Erm, just a thought, but why not have him (a single Jeep) come up to Matts house where there is a ton of parking space rather than have us (with multiple Jeeps) drive all the way down to Washington..

Matt will have my compressor back there by then. Just a thought...

Bill
02-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Erm, just a thought, but why not have him (a single Jeep) come up to Matts house where there is a ton of parking space rather than have us (with multiple Jeeps) drive all the way down to Washington..

Matt will have my compressor back there by then. Just a thought...

Because he is unable to drive the 6spd with only one working leg... :cry:

Although, depending on the circumstances I am sure we can work something out. Matt and I already discussed it. :wink:

OverkillZJ
02-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Why the hell does everything end up at my house? :roll:

LMAO

I'd be ok with it, ONLY IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY clean up this time. As in, EVERY TOOL back in its place, any fluids hauled away, and any consumed beer replaced. Not to mention replacement of used consumables, you'd be AMAZED at how the consumption of lubricants and break cleaner adds up... I'm broke, I can't afford you bastad's any more :wink:

LordAthens
02-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Why the hell does everything end up at my house? :roll:

LMAO

I'd be ok with it, ONLY IF YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY clean up this time. As in, EVERY TOOL back in its place, any fluids hauled away, and any consumed beer replaced. Not to mention replacement of used consumables, you'd be AMAZED at how the consumption of lubricants and break cleaner adds up... I'm broke, I can't afford you bastad's any more :wink:

Then you should have stayed at the apartment! :-D

r6cyclegal
02-18-2005, 10:28 AM
I like pizza and alcohol :P

Bill
03-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Saturday, March 26th 2005

I am not sure about a start time just yet, but at least I got a date. I know this is probably going to happen at his place down in Washington PA, but I will confirm all the fine details over the next day or so.

So, who is coming with me?

OverkillZJ
03-09-2005, 11:23 AM
I'll be there. I"m on spring break that week so I'll be doing nothing but work on jeeps (read: fix mine.)

r6cyclegal
03-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Not me. :cry: That's the day before Easter so I'll be hiding Easter Eggs and otherwise busy.

JB_Pgh
03-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Is this that 89MJ guy?

OverkillZJ
03-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Is this that 89MJ guy?

That'd be him

Bill
03-09-2005, 03:09 PM
10:00 AM at his place. I have the directions (and an address for those us with GPS 8) )

r6cyclegal
03-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Ohh aren't you cool, Mr. GPS god?!?!?! :prayer: j/k

Bill
03-09-2005, 04:48 PM
Ohh aren't you cool, Mr. GPS god?!?!?! :prayer: j/k

This coming from Ms. Can I borrow your GPS? 8O

r6cyclegal
03-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Well yeah... :smt047

Bill
03-09-2005, 05:12 PM
WOMEN! :roll:

r6cyclegal
03-09-2005, 05:27 PM
You love me :smt057 :smt058

Bill
03-09-2005, 05:30 PM
:lame:

89MJComanche
03-09-2005, 06:38 PM
OK I got wind that this post was over here from JeepSaharaBoy or 0lllll0 as he goes by over here...

Anyhow I really need/want to do this at my place.
I will have Air on hand us to use as I have a compressor and some el-cheapo air tools from Wal-Mart but at least there is something.

Anyhow all of my parts showed up the other day except for my Snorkle and my Tuffy glove box and console. I hope they will be here in the next few days. Snorkle on back order.

I need to get an idea of how many Jeeps or PPL are coming so that I can pick up brews and enough munchies for everyone.

Thanks again to those of you who can lend a hand to helping me out with this one... MJ project will be on display over this weekend get together so maby I can get you all interested in the next big session which will be 99XJ motor tranny and T-Case swap into my ole MJ.

PM me or post here if you are definatly going to come so I can count.

OverkillZJ
03-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I'll be there; and I'll bring a good air gun and impact sets.

Bill
03-09-2005, 10:28 PM
Obviously I will be there. 8)

r6cyclegal
03-10-2005, 10:45 AM
Obviously I will be there. 8)

What if your girlfriend doesn't let you go? What if she has plans for you? What if her mother will be in town and you have to entertain her? Huh? Did you think of that? :smt018

j/k You know you're allowed to do anything you want. Besides I'll be playing Easter Bunny. :)

Bill
03-10-2005, 12:50 PM
If her mother was in town that is all the more reason to go! :P

r6cyclegal
03-10-2005, 01:03 PM
We all know!!! Hey atleast she'd go to Hooter's with you.

Bill
03-10-2005, 07:33 PM
And I will take her next time she is in town. 8)

89MJComanche
03-10-2005, 11:47 PM
OK HIJACKING MY WRENCHING SESSION POST WITH BS ABOUT THE INLAWS SHOULD BE A VOILATION OF THIS FORUMS BYLAWS....

however if yer girl mom really would goto hooters.... then I guess that she is cool...

OK 10:00 AM on March 26th at MY PLACE in Washington PA.

I think that the count is up to 3 people so far!!

WHAT FUN!

r6cyclegal
03-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Sorry I hijack EVERY thread. :?

Bill
03-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Sorry I hijack EVERY thread. :?

Yes you do! :roll:

r6cyclegal
03-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Now you're starting it again. :roll:

Now back to the topic at hand: Help the brother out and work on his Jeep while he feeds you!!!

89MJComanche
03-11-2005, 02:33 PM
r6cyclegal

Are you coming along on the 26th??

Wont hurt to have some one to play Molly Pitcher?? :D

Actually it would be great to have a few Jeepin Girls along for the fun that day!!

r6cyclegal
03-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Actually I am quite a fixture in a garage. I'm not a drink bitch. I help too (when the boys move out of the way and let me) I love learning how to do things to Jeeps and have helped on quite a few rebuilds. I wanted to do my own lift but after waiting 3 months I decided I would enjoy the lift ON the Jeep more then putting it on myself.

Oh yeah: I can't make it the 26. I will be hiding Easter Eggs since it's the day before Easter.

LordAthens
03-13-2005, 02:16 AM
I suppose I'll call Matt or Bill after I get off work (4pm'ish) to see if stuff is still goin on down there. Of course, it's a good 20 minutes to get from work to Washington.

At the very least, I want to fondle the LWB Rubi.

LeadFoot
03-13-2005, 02:49 AM
I'd be free........if I wasn't working on my hunk o junk. Lame, i know. :roll:

89MJComanche
03-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Who all is coming to help tomorrow??

I need to know how many condoms... I mean pairs of latex gloves that I need to get with all you other owners coming down to fondle my new baby!!

:D

Bill
03-25-2005, 03:04 PM
I know Matt and I are coming.

Deapee is a maybe...

who else is coming?

Happycamper
03-25-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm redoing my brakes and possibly pinion seals at both ends. Let me test the waters with the wife and where you guys are at when I'm done.
-Jeff

Bill
03-25-2005, 04:21 PM
We will be leaving Matt's house at 10:00 AM for those of you who want to caravan down to Washington PA.

OverkillZJ
03-25-2005, 07:33 PM
I'll be there atleast at the beginning, I haven't been feeling well and am mega stressed so I don't think I'll be much use. I'm goot at stupervising though. I might bring my dads WK by though.

Jeff, like I said, you're more than welcome to do your breaks and such here tomorrow morning, hell I live close enough to Kupe for him to come and help anyway. I just can't help you with ALL of your projects just now :)

89MJComanche
03-26-2005, 10:06 AM
OK,

If you guys are leaving to come down at 10:00 am I will see you guys before lunch time??

I just got finished rounding up all of the tools etc to get the JOB DONE. I borrowed an extra set of jack stands from my grandfather and I picked up another breaker bar, different length and size than I own.

I will be expecting you guys around 12:00 or so.

AMS

Happycamper
03-26-2005, 10:07 AM
It's all good. This is the only thing I need done ASAP. When you slow up and aren't as stressed we can rip Jeep a new a$$.

89MJComanche
03-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Had a snafu this morning... brought Air Compressor over here to where I am at to do this job.... wrong plug on the compressor to plug into the 220 that is here where I am working!!

So we are working by hand...

Waitied till I know that you guys left to post this!! :-)

I'll kick my self if I find out some one has a 110 portable??

AMS

Bill
03-26-2005, 08:54 PM
Just to report... It went fairly smooth. Matt was in awe after realizing how nice it is to work on a new Jeep where everything comes off so easily.

The Jeep looks great with the OME lift!

On another note... If anyone wants to line a tub (Such as hurculine... but different) you should hook up with 89'... The job on his Jeep is top-notch!

Nice meeting you Aaron, hope to see you and your Jeep out with us on the trail soon.

-Bill

OverkillZJ
03-26-2005, 11:23 PM
Waitied till I know that you guys left to post this!! :-)

I'll kick my self if I find out some one has a 110 portable??

AMS

Kick yourself, I have a 120v 28 gallon hotdog compressor I coulda brought 8)

89MJComanche
03-27-2005, 02:10 AM
Thanks to Matt (OVERKILLZJ) Bill (0llllll0) and Pete, Overkill's dad for coming down today for some much needed motivation and quick work assistance.

We did my lift in about 2 hours!

And Pete, Overkill's dad, tried out the faulty plumbing in my bathroom, played with the stereo and read the owners manual in his new HEMI WK for most of the time so the job was actually pretty easy.

I also did a dome light bypass switch today! Installed my Tuffy Glove Box, and finished a few nuts and bolts in my interior.

The last things that need done with the lift are .75" front spacer to level off, steering stabilizer, front end alignment check, discos, and 2 or 3 tack welds on my rear trac bar relocation bracket.

Thanks again for all of your help guys!

89MJComanche
03-27-2005, 02:17 AM
On another note... If anyone wants to line a tub (Such as hurculine... but different) you should hook up with 89'... The job on his Jeep is top-notch!
-Bill

If anyone is interested, the lining in my tub is VORTEX lining. It is like LINEX or RHINO only better.

The costs to do a Jeep Tub are as follows.

You must bring your Jeep with no seats or seat belts or console or any hardware like the seat tracks etc (except drivers seat and drivers seat belt) to my place on a morning when we arrainge to do this job for you in the afternoon.

Together the two of us will prep the Jeep at my house, then we will drive it about 10 miles to the place the does the job, mask it off, and spray it.

The costs of the actual spray job is $350 for the spraying part and the materials. It is $100 for my prep help, and the masking materials.

It takes about 5 hours worth of work to get the Jeep ready to spray.

If anyone is interested in getting this job done let me know.

AARON

dp
03-28-2005, 09:05 AM
It is $100 for my prep help, and the masking materials.

So all these folks went to your house, hooked your stuff up and if they want their tub sprayed, they gotta pay you $100 dollars to help and then your buddy $350 to spray it?

No, seriously though, just sand it down and spray some duplicolor bedliner on the tub. Probably doesn't look as good unless you remove your seats and stuff, but works the same.

Bill
03-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Dave, you would actually have to see this... It is real nice stuff.

Happycamper
03-28-2005, 10:27 AM
not trying to start anything but Dave does have a point. I can see the guys that helped out getting a discount, but $450 is preety steep just for a lined tub. Anyone can do it, some better than others, but it's a Jeep! It doesn't have to be absolutly perfect. Just my .02

OverkillZJ
03-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Dave, get your head out of your ass. It's a good product, and if I hadn't herculined / sound deadened my jeep myself years ago I'd be interested in it. Price is fair for the prep work. :roll:

dp
03-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Matt, you get your head out of your ass. Sure, I don't want it done, to be honest, I'm quite happy with my bedliner in mine now. But I'm just saying that if Bill can go over there and put his lift on for him why would he charge bill $100 to prep his tub? See my point?

I wasn't there this weekend to help, but I wanted to be. Unfortunately, I think I'm suffering from a possibly serious medical condition at the moment which kept me from going and in bed all weekend and home from work today. And I think a few people will vouch for me that if they needed a place and didn't mind working with all hand tools, my driveway is always open, and I'm always willing to help...hell, I'll even do the grunt work.

Some shops will charge $500 to put the lift on -- which a lot of people were willing to help out. If that's your business, I understand, but this is a Jeepin community -- if I wanna prep my tub (which I wouldn't ask anyone to help anyway, because I prefer working alone or with one other person) and I asked, I would assume I could get 3 or 4 of you here on a Saturday to help out for beer / pop and pizza.

OverkillZJ
03-28-2005, 12:31 PM
I think you just like to bitch. A lot. :butthead:

8)

Bill
03-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Please tell me you two are not going to go at it.... again. :roll: :P 8)

OverkillZJ
03-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Please tell me you two are not going to go at it.... again. :roll: :P 8)

Warning: Opinionated bastards run rampant on pgh-offroad!

Bill
03-28-2005, 01:05 PM
SO, what you are saying is that I should go make some popcorn, sit back, and watch round 113.

ding-ding! :roll: :P

r6cyclegal
03-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Yummy Popcorn!!! :smt016

OverkillZJ
03-28-2005, 03:19 PM
SO, what you are saying is that I should go make some popcorn, sit back, and watch round 113.
ding-ding! :roll: :P

Na, what I'm saying is that I don't think Dave or I really care :drinkers:

dp
03-28-2005, 10:32 PM
:twisted:

89MJComanche
03-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Here is the deal about the $100 just so you guys know how this works.

It will take approxamatly 8 hours of prep work (that is after you show up with all your seats out, top and doors off, seat belts out of the way, and it would be best if your roll bar is removed.

The detail to make this a nice job is masking every thing off right, so that you have all of the little details there. I have all the little details. I took the time to do this, to work with the guy who does the job, and to learn so that I could help you guys get this job done.

He is not willing to touch another Jeep, the way he did mine for me, for less than $600 because he can do two full size trucks in the time it take to do one Jeep and he charges $400-$500 per truck depending on the type of customer.

I am willing to help each and every one of you to get your rig prepped to do this process, and save you at least $150 on the job, and put in my time, all 8 hours worth of prep time, to get your vehicle ready for the job. This includes your help to do the prep work off my lead.

The spray on guy will do the wire tape for the hard edges, and the spray job. You and I do everything else.

I dont think that $450 is a rip off by any means and I do not think that I am being a jerk by asking guys to help me out for a few hours to meet some new ppl. Actually if Bill or Matt wants a job done I would probably be more than willing to help out because they helped me. However they were here for less than 3 hours, and the work was pretty simple. Try bending over a Jeep sanding for 3 hours to scuff the inside of the tub.

Who wants to get this done??

89MJComanche
03-31-2005, 11:28 PM
Matt, you get your head out of your ass. Sure, I don't want it done, to be honest, I'm quite happy with my bedliner in mine now. But I'm just saying that if Bill can go over there and put his lift on for him why would he charge bill $100 to prep his tub? See my point?

if I wanna prep my tub (which I wouldn't ask anyone to help anyway, because I prefer working alone or with one other person) and I asked, I would assume I could get 3 or 4 of you here on a Saturday to help out for beer / pop and pizza.

Since I have to buy the sand paper, mold release, masking tape, plastic drop cloths, wire tape, and other body shop supplies and chemicals to do the prep job I dont think that $100 is unfair. I get $25 for a refferal anyhow if I do nothing, and I would bet that there is at least $25 or more in prep materials, and I am willing to take an entire 8 hour day to work with you to guide you intimatly through the process of doing the prep work, another $50 does not sound like a bad deal.

As for the prep work, the Jeep must go immediatly from prep to wipe down with alcohol to spray. Leaving it sit for any length of time would allow oxidation to start on small areas where you scuff through the finish. So this is all about timing. It is about preping all day on a Tuesday and spraying that afternoon. I think that we all have better things to do on Tuesday (like goto work)

I mean if it is that big of a deal to you, send some one down here for the job, I'll do one for free, and you can get some one elses opinion about how much work that it is to do this right.

AMS

r6cyclegal
04-01-2005, 11:33 AM
I think after hearing (but never seeing) the great job and attention to detail that you gave your Jeep I think the price you are asking is fair.

I think what Dave is saying is that some people aren't as picky of how it looks on a trail rig, so paying that much would be out of the question. They would just do a messy job and it would never bother them.

89MJComanche
04-01-2005, 12:23 PM
MEOW!!

PURRRR!!!

dp
04-02-2005, 10:21 AM
no biggie. What I'm saying is that you're charging for your work...when there are many people here with much more experience in other areas than you.

My point is that if I wanted that done by you and I provided the materials, you should be willing to help out because that's just what we do (not that I want it done because I'm quite happy with the job I did myself).

Picture this...I know how to change a ujoint or an axle or a hub or whatever else you can imagine you could break on the trail. Now I bring my Jeep and you charge me $100 to prep it (which is a good deal, I agree).

Now we're on the trail and you break your ujoint and have no idea how to fix it. Who do you think is going to be laying in the mud covered from head to toe fixing your broken rig probably with my own spare part that you didn't bring because you never thought you'd need it...so I guess if that happens, I should charge you for my expertise ... say $100 -- which would be a good deal considering the circumstances.

Hell no, I'll fix it cause you needed me to help and that's just what we do. You might even offer some compensation, and I'll tell you to buy me lunch or something...see my point?

dp
04-02-2005, 10:24 AM

It will take approxamatly 8 hours of prep work (that is after you show up with all your seats out, top and doors off, seat belts out of the way, and it would be best if your roll bar is removed.

So which is it...5 hours or 8 anyway?

JB_Pgh
04-02-2005, 01:30 PM
Well said, deapee, I see your point. If karstman charged me (or any of us) by the hour for his expertise and bloody-knuckle time, I'd have to sell my house to pay him....usually it was just a matter of replacing whatever consumable he used up in the process (beer included). :P

Just a different perspective on a different job I guess, I'm not knocking MJ. The prep effort looks like a complete bitch, I probably wouldn't put that much effort into a liner. My 30 mins of prep and 1 hour of application with a bigass brush worked good enough for me. As usual, to each his own.

89MJComanche
04-02-2005, 06:52 PM

So which is it...5 hours or 8 anyway?

It depends on who the second person is that helps... Maby it will take five, maby it will take eight. If you have mechanical aptitude like I do and you are excited and work hard at it then it is probably more like five hours. If I had to do most of it my self it is more like eight.

I would help change your U-Joint for nothing. I would come to your house and wrench for nothing if we needed to install your lift. I would offer payback of the time that Bill and Matt put in for anything they want me to come help them with. However I doubt that any of those tasks will require breathing sanding dust for 8 hours and be as specifically skilled as the bedliner job would be.

We all have our opinions though right??

dp
04-02-2005, 09:32 PM
However I doubt that any of those tasks will require breathing sanding dust for 8 hours and be as specifically skilled as the bedliner job would be.

Yeah, you're right. Installing a lift kit or changing a U-Joint or an oil pump or a valve lifter are nowhere near as 'specifically skilled' as sanding a tub down.

Please -- before I went to school for automotive technology, I worked in a body shop doing detailing. I know what type of people the 'prep boys' are -- and I can assure you they do a much more meticulous job than you could possibly do on a tub. They are not exactly what I would refer to as 'specifically skilled' people. They are more like weed-head drop-outs that hope to one day graduate to dent-pullers if they can clean up their act and maybe learn a thing or two about automobiles.

Bill
04-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Okay...okay...

Let me sum up all of this in a few quick little statements. (I guess this is the Cliff Notes version.)

1. Aaron (89MJ) offered a service out to the folks on the board. Take it for what it is worth to each of you individually.

2. Dave (deapee) doesn't personally agree with the cost associated / offer in general. (And Dave just likes to argue with people on the net from time to time.)

3. This needs to end... Let it go, let it go... :roll:

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress. 8)

dp
04-02-2005, 09:37 PM
Okay...okay...

Let me sum up all of this in a few quick little statements. (I guess this is the Cliff Notes version.)

1. Aaron (89MJ) offered a service out to the folks on the board. Take it for what it is worth to each of you individually.

2. Dave (deapee) doesn't personally agree with the cost associated / offer in general. (And Dave just likes to argue with people on the net from time to time.)

3. This needs to end... Let it go, let it go... :roll:

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress. 8)

Answer your phone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
04-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Answer your phone!!!!!!!!!!!!

I already called you back...check your messages. :lol:

Bill
04-03-2005, 07:32 AM
The wrenchin session is over and behind us and it is time to lock this one. :?