PDA

View Full Version : WJ brakes suck

Cebby
02-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Well - finally time to do something about one of the last nagging issues on my 2000 JGC.

The brakes on the rig have been getting progressively worse. The front rotors have been cut once and pads replaced all around back in July or so. I did some research on the crappy brakes and discovered that around 2002, Jeep started upgrading the calipers and there was even a TSB (which I had too much mileage already for)

It turns out that the hot ticket seems to be Stillen crossdrilled and slotted rotors with the upgraded front calipers. I'm taking the plunge on the rotors and upgraded calipers.

My question is about everyone's favorite turd, the D35C rear axle. I took a peak at it the other day and saw what looked like oil on the back of the rear disc brake cover. It could have been grease from lubing the chasis, but is there a chance the axle is leaking and has caused my braking issues (could there be oil on rear rotors from axle housing?) How often do the seals go south and are they a beotch to change?

I guess the alarming thing is that my much heavier 4Runner with Powerslots and rear drums stops much better than the JGC - just deosn't seem right.

JeepGeneral
02-14-2005, 10:40 AM
I think everyone on this board (and all owners of DC vehicles) can agree that Mopar brakes are horrible. When working in service that is the number one complaint, pads shot and rotors warped after 15-20K miles (warranty will cover them until 12K). A friend's '00 4Runner has 65000 miles and still had 5/32s left on the original pads at last inspection!!

As far as the TSB, I didn't think there were any mileage restrictions, but if I can access Chrylser's dealer connect from school I'll check it out for you.

Tom

JeepGeneral
02-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Just checked, I have access to the dealer connect and the only restrictions on the TSB that I can see is the build dates. If you can give me the last 8 of the vin, and your current mileage I can get the build date and check with that.

Tom

Cebby
02-14-2005, 11:11 AM
Here's the last 8 of the VIN: YC215257

Mileage is about 78,500 or so.

JeepGeneral
02-14-2005, 03:44 PM
PMed you with some info

OverkillZJ
02-14-2005, 10:17 PM
The WJ front brake TSB uses dual piston calipers and different pads.

But guess what? It doesn't fix the problem.

Stillens have warped on some people as well. I'm fond of the $20 autozone / advance auto rotors and just replacing once in awhile. I think my dads WJ is the only WJ that hasn't warped rotors in 50,000 miles...

Cebby
02-15-2005, 02:48 AM
I didn't get my first brake job on my WJ until about 68K miles. Original rotors, pads. ;)

I never noticed it not stopping well until the rotors were cut and the pads replaced. Now I'm getting some pulsing, too. The main thing is not being able to stop.

I did manage to change the rear diff oil tonight. What a PIA. Why no drain plug? Pulling the cover to change the oil seems ridiculous to me.

OverkillZJ
02-15-2005, 03:41 AM
I didn't get my first brake job on my WJ until about 68K miles. Original rotors, pads. ;)

I never noticed it not stopping well until the rotors were cut and the pads replaced. Now I'm getting some pulsing, too. The main thing is not being able to stop.

I did manage to change the rear diff oil tonight. What a PIA. Why no drain plug? Pulling the cover to change the oil seems ridiculous to me.

I can't say I've ever seen a diff with a drain plug...

No, I did see it on a 9" once, but that's mega rare. You can just use a sucker tube thingy majigger, I usually pull the cover though just to look at the teeth.

Cebby
02-15-2005, 08:01 AM
I can't say I've ever seen a diff with a drain plug...

Toyota's do. :D