PDA

View Full Version : mounting tires

Happycamper
02-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know any good cheap places to get some new meats mounted around the South Hills of Pgh.? I'm getting 33's this week and need an allignment done. Any info is appreciated. TIA
-Jeff

Bill
02-14-2005, 12:54 PM
The cheapest place I have found to get tires balanced and mounted is Wal-Mart. The alignment runs about $50 no matter where you go.

coverinearth
02-14-2005, 06:01 PM
what kinda wheels u running? and on what type of rig? go get some prices and ill beat them. no questions asked. as well as on the allignment, jeeps are the easiest thing to allign. get some quotes, and hit me back. as well as what year rig and what kinda wheels/tires

MF Steve!
02-15-2005, 05:58 PM
dont go to ntb. i had like 10oz of weight on my wheels when i came outta there. they forgot to take the sticky weights off the rims, when they did my mt/r's. not to mention the fact that after i took it back...they STILL werent balanced correctly and i had to return for a third try.

OverkillZJ
02-15-2005, 09:51 PM
I have lifetime balance at walmart...but after seeing them put A POUND of weights on my spare and blaming it on a bent rim (BS) - I think I'll go somewhere that has a clue!

Alignment? 2 dowel rods and some measure tape!

LordAthens
02-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Gulf on 19 is pretty cheap, my uncle is the shop supervisor \ lead mechanic down there.

Now, if you want it done right to every aspect of the tire and rim, head down to Scotto's tires on 88 in Bethel (~1 miles from PepBoys). They have a Hunter 9700 down there.

Happycamper
02-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Yeah I got the tires I have now put on at Scotto's pretty cheap to. I'm buying a set off a friend who's movin to 35's and we're going to have to find a place that's convenient for both of us. I need to get an allignment in a bad way, my fronts are worn on the outsides almost to the point of no return. I never got it alligned after I lifted it (2.5"). I also didn't do a drop pitman arm b/c I didn't think it was necessary. I know a mod friendly shop I can take it to for the allignment and other the other issues.

dp
02-17-2005, 12:56 AM
They have a Hunter 9700 down there.

Having the machine isn't even half the battle. I'd rather mount/balance my tires myself on an old piece of junk than have some drughead idiot mount/balance them for me on the newest, most expensive machine out there.

LordAthens
02-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah I got the tires I have now put on at Scotto's pretty cheap to. I'm buying a set off a friend who's movin to 35's and we're going to have to find a place that's convenient for both of us. I need to get an allignment in a bad way, my fronts are worn on the outsides almost to the point of no return. I never got it alligned after I lifted it (2.5"). I also didn't do a drop pitman arm b/c I didn't think it was necessary. I know a mod friendly shop I can take it to for the allignment and other the other issues.

Scotto's does alignment too. They did mine and it's been dead on. I believe they also offer lifetime alignment, but that may only be with purchase of tires.. You may want to inquire.

Dave - I agree totally. However, the guys at Scotto's are quite good. I balanced my Swampers myself on a recently calibrated SnapOn motorized machine at my uncles shop. For kicks and grins, I took my spare down and had them remount and balance it. They were able to take 1.25oz of weight off just by doing what the machine said.

I was impressed atleast.

dp
02-17-2005, 06:57 PM
oh yeah...those newer computerized balancers are really nice -- they do everything! We had one at school that was like that. I didn't touch it once.