PDA

View Full Version : THIS is why I haven't jumped on a new Jeep yet

JB_Pgh
02-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Stuff like this coming out.....

http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/article.aspx?contentID=4023001&s=Chicago2005&src=minishow

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c452943a.jpg

New Toyota FJ Cruiser coming in 06.... :smt049

Plus, I'm curious about the next version of the Wrangler....

JB_Pgh
02-16-2005, 05:19 PM
With its brand-new FJ Cruiser, Toyota promises a capable, affordable and durable SUV for young buyers.

Taking their traditional first press conference slot in the Second City, Toyota kicked off Media Preview days at the 2005 Chicago Auto Show by proudly unveiling its latest sport-utility vehicle, the FJ Cruiser, to a capacity crowd of journalists.

The all-new SUV is true to the heritage of the design and off-road performance of the FJ 40 and the original Toyota 4Runner. Toyota decided to put the FJ Cruiser into production after the FJ Cruiser concept generated a very positive response when it was first shown at the 2003 North American International Auto Show.

Don Esmond, senior vice president and general manager of the Toyota Division, describes the FJ Cruiser as a vehicle that will "deliver true off-road ruggedness, image and performance at a very low price, making it highly accessible for a large volume of young buyers."

Taking styling cues from the original FJ 40, the FJ Cruiser design includes a wide grille with Toyota logo, round headlights, and offset combination lights. Other design features from the original include an upright windshield, white roof and wrapping rear quarter windows. The final design of the FJ Cruiser was a joint project between Toyota Motor Corporation and Calty Design Research, which developed the FJ Cruiser concept two years ago.

Toyota's latest SUV will be powered by a 245-horsepower 4.0-liter V6 that delivers 282 lb-ft of torque, paired with a 5-speed automatic for either 2WD or 4WD trims. A 6-speed manual will be offered for 4WD versions.

The FJ Cruiser will be built on the platform of the current 4Runner. Although the overall length will be 11 inches shorter than the 4Runner, the wheelbase will be only 4 inches shorter, giving the FJ Cruiser short front and rear overhangs.

As with all Toytoa SUVs, standard equipment will include Vehicle Stability Control, traction control, ABS with electronic brake force distribution, and brake assist. Other standard equipment includes 17-inch steel wheels and 4-wheel disc brakes.

The interior design has not been completely finalized, although Toyota officials did say that the tough, straightforward design theme will continue through to the interior and will feature a mechanical theme. Design elements include round inset instrumentation and exterior color trim on the instrument panel.

Standard interior features will include air conditioning, an AM/FM/CD audio system with six speakers, a tilt steering wheel, cupholders, and rear seats that fold flat to maximize cargo capacity.

Optional equipment will include 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels, a rear differential lock, electronic 4-wheel traction control, running boards, a rear sonar backup assist, power outside mirrors with image lights, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, a multi-information display, exterior color door insert panels, privacy glass, and a rear wiper.

The FJ Cruiser will go on sale in early 2006.

TimMichaels
02-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Eh... :?

Bill
02-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Eh... :?

He has a thing for TuRDs... I just want to see him buy it and wheel it. :lol: 8O 8)

JB_Pgh
02-16-2005, 08:34 PM
I always did like the old FJ40 and LR Defender 90's - I guess I like goofy square vehicles?

I'm just easing back into the offroad thing, I'll find the right vehicle (likely another TJ or an Unlimited)...I've been accused of making impulse purchases... :wink: To be honest, I have some life changes that may take me out of this area after May, so I don't want to do anything until I know for sure what's going on...that's why I'm just a PghOffroad lurker... :)

r6cyclegal
02-18-2005, 10:27 AM
To be honest, I have some life changes that may take me out of this area after May, so I don't want to do anything until I know for sure what's going on...that's why I'm just a PghOffroad lurker... :)

Are you going back into the witness protection program again??? 8O

OverkillZJ
02-18-2005, 03:12 PM
To be honest, I have some life changes that may take me out of this area after May, so I don't want to do anything until I know for sure what's going on...that's why I'm just a PghOffroad lurker... :)

Are you going back into the witness protection program again??? 8O

LMAO

r6cyclegal
02-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Hey I didn't tell anyone that his real name is Fred McCall and he's from North Carolina and it took him forever to get rid of the accent!!! :wink:

YFZ4FIDDY
03-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Stuff like this coming out.....

http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/article.aspx?contentID=4023001&s=Chicago2005&src=minishow

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c452943a.jpg

New Toyota FJ Cruiser coming in 06.... :smt049

Plus, I'm curious about the next version of the Wrangler....

I remember talking about the new Toyota on JU a couple years back, and (OIIIIIIIO) and his boys about had my head chopped off. :D

Seriously though, I think the concept back then was beefier looking. Anyone have a picture of the first concept of the new Cruiser?

Don't forget that Land Rover is bringing back the Defender 90 in 2007 as a 2008 model. There's also a rumor of "The Landie" which is a small boxy vehicle for 15k. I got some pictures that I found online, but I don't know how to post them.

I've always liked the Safari look of the Toyota and the Land Rovers!!!

LeadFoot
03-06-2005, 12:17 AM
It looks like a smurf turd. :roll:

r6cyclegal
03-07-2005, 04:59 PM
It looks like a smurf turd. :roll:

I don't think so. I think it's more like a Smurfette turd. :wink:

JB_Pgh
03-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Personally, I dig it.

r6cyclegal
03-08-2005, 05:42 PM
No offense to you or your opinion, John. :)

JB_Pgh
03-08-2005, 05:46 PM
No offense to you or your opinion, John. :)

None taken. :partyman: