PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Shuddering???

FoxRunner
02-21-2005, 01:46 AM
Ok so as my title says when I start my 98 ZJ 4.0L Autotrans it starts fine but as soon as I put it into reverse the engine shudders. then revs back up and the shudders... etc. and some times if I just put it quickly into drive it will stall out... The jeep has 145k on it but I had the transmission bands adjusted this summer and I believe it only started doing this after that.... Also once the car warms up it is fine.... Any suggestions would be helpful thanks....

xsjado
02-21-2005, 02:01 AM
with those miles, id let it run for atleast five minutes before you go anywhere, a high mileage cold motor can get kinda funny.

Jpdst29
02-21-2005, 07:23 AM
my 4.0 used to do that also when i threw it in reverse...after finding 2 vacuum leaks and cleaning out the throttle body...it no longer does it...i dont know if that is your problem...but it is a good place to start looking...maybe check sensors too, specifically IAC, TPS, and MAP

JeepGeneral
02-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Any check engine light? The vacuum leaks and any sensor problems should throw a code, causing the light to come on (unless like mine it's always on!)

OverkillZJ
02-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Tune it up.

And if you wait 5 minutes before going anywhere when you start it up, I'll laugh at you...

FoxRunner
02-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Nope no check engine lights...
(Thank God)

So your guessing tune up huh... Hummm
Suggest any where cheap?

You say you laugh now... Boy Im glad I didnt write my othe rplan to install a remote starter so I could warm it up without going out side...
Dohhhh

OverkillZJ
02-21-2005, 08:50 PM
Nope no check engine lights...
(Thank God)

So your guessing tune up huh... Hummm
Suggest any where cheap?

You say you laugh now... Boy Im glad I didnt write my othe rplan to install a remote starter so I could warm it up without going out side...
Dohhhh

Warming it up if it's cold out is one thing, but warming it up cause its OLD is another, THATS when I'll point and laugh at you!

Honesly I don't know a good shop to do a tune up, I've always done it myself. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Jpdst29
02-21-2005, 08:53 PM
i guess just find a local place around in your area...i am sure they wouldnt mind the business...so much easier and cheaper to just do it yourself though :D

xsjado
02-22-2005, 01:01 AM
ya well, just so i dont look as stupid as i already do, i meant cause of cold, i wasnt thinking. i mean can i get a little credit? :roll:

r6cyclegal
02-22-2005, 04:50 PM
It could've been worse. The 2 girls could've offered to do it for you :( jk I don't do anything when it's cold out either.

LordAthens
02-22-2005, 09:13 PM
I don't do anything when it's cold out either.

And what's different from when it's warm out? :D

dp
02-23-2005, 09:25 AM
oh man...sounds like your tranny might have some dirt built up in it. I'd suggest flushing it at like Firestone or Midas -- somewhere that will do an actual flush, not just drop the pan and refill the fluid (most of your fluid when you do that is going to remain in your torque converter).

The reason I suggest this is because it sounds like your torque converter is locking up when it's cold. After you had it adjusted, it's possible that things were tight for a while and you have some gunk built up now partially clogging it.

I'd say after flushing it, add some tranny additive from advance or wherever -- the stuff that says 'improves shifting, stops slipping', etc.

I hope your tune up fixes the problem, but it really sounds like something in the tranny to me.

OverkillZJ
02-23-2005, 11:33 AM
...what?

I would NOT flush that tranny... They tend to blow in the grands, there's lots of nooks and cranny's for that buildup and they're crappy tranny's from the start. All flushing is going to do is dislodge said filth and allow it to relodge in an area that matters. Get over to nagca.com and start searching or make a new post. There's a good amount of info on these problems there. Changing the fluid is not a bad thing on these rigs; flushing often is...

r6cyclegal
02-23-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't do anything when it's cold out either.

And what's different from when it's warm out? :D

True 'dat! :D

dp
02-23-2005, 06:42 PM
...what?

I would NOT flush that tranny... They tend to blow in the grands, there's lots of nooks and cranny's for that buildup and they're crappy tranny's from the start. All flushing is going to do is dislodge said filth and allow it to relodge in an area that matters. Get over to nagca.com and start searching or make a new post. There's a good amount of info on these problems there. Changing the fluid is not a bad thing on these rigs; flushing often is...

I'd flush it. Your only excuse is that 'said filth will relodge in other areas' -- well, when the tranny fluid reaches operating temperature, it will go around and around in the system. Stopping probably in the filter, or when shut down, relodging in other areas. When you flush it, the fluid is leaving the system before it hits the cooler or before travelling completely through the system ... no where for it to 'relodge' itself as you say.

Do what you wish, my opinion is to flush it. If it blows right after flushing it, my guess is that it would have blown anyway...personally, I'd flush it every 30k and never be in that situation in the first place...but that's just me.

OverkillZJ
02-24-2005, 12:56 AM
I'd agree with changing fluid every 30k, FULL FLUID change by using the cooler lines, but not the mechanic style flush where they fill the whole thing to the brim during the flush.

Like I said, search NAGCA.COM for others experiences with flushing...

dp
02-24-2005, 09:01 AM
I'd agree with changing fluid every 30k, FULL FLUID change by using the cooler lines, but not the mechanic style flush where they fill the whole thing to the brim during the flush.

Like I said, search NAGCA.COM for others experiences with flushing...

What the hell are you talking about 'mechanic style flush where they fill the whole thing to the brim' -- you must have been passed some incorrect information along the way somewhere. I HIGHLY doubt any one does a tranny flush by filling it all the way up.

I think you have your definitions mixed up, Matt. A fluid change entails dropping the pan and letting the fluid drain, most of the time leaving half of the fluid still in the system and in the torque converter. A flush entails hooking a the system up to an empty reservoir and a full reservoir of new tranny fluid and allowing the new to circulate through the system while pushing the old into the empty reservoir. Sometimes, during the first couple of minutes, a solution is run through with the new fluid to rid the system of any deposits that may have built up, sometimes not -- that depends on the shop.

Who told you that a flush was when they fill the system up to the brim?

OverkillZJ
02-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Let me search for some old threads.

FoxRunner
03-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Well sweet a$$
I threw a bottle of that GUNK AutoTranssmissions Smooth Shifter stuffs. in and This morning NO SHUDDER!!!

So that made me happy untill I stater to think if what was clogged is no disolved is now floating Im ok but what if its a clump of stuff... Now knowing my Luck its trully gonna get jammed somewhere really bad... And we all know it will happen on one of my fequent trips to dc... I bet somewhere areound Haggers town... SOME THING IM NOT LOOKING FORWARD TO....

Now with no shudder do you suggest a pan drop and refill or still a flush...
The Debate continues!!!

OverkillZJ
03-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Looks like I was totally wrong on this one, I never would've pointed blame at the tranny (pulls head out of ass.)

As far as that flush goes, Dave was right, and I was partially right (misinformation). What I had read about was some special super flush that only some shops were offering which force fed tranny fluid throught the whole system, filling it to the max, draining it all, then filling it to the proper level. This is as bad as it sounds, but it is appearently NOT a standard "tranny flush" as I had thought.

:smt028

dp
03-04-2005, 07:23 PM
Man...I don't know what to tell you now...being that it's probably overfilled.

Did you drain some out before you just dumped that stuff in there? Seriously...get it flushed before you ruin your tranny.