PDA

View Full Version : MCSE training

pahighlander
03-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Ok, so I took 2 semesters of PTI's MCSE program and thought it sucked. I need to complete my MCSE for work. I have passed 70-270 and 70-290 already. I need a good training program to finish this out. I DO NOT want to drive to PGH again for training - I spent more time on the road than in class.
Can anyone recommend a good web or cdrom interactive course? Or a class held near the Somerset area?

Thanks!

OverkillZJ
03-04-2005, 12:40 AM
I'm a book whore... I'll learn more from an 800 page geek book in a weekend than I will in a 6 week course. I actually like the Microsoft books (I know, it's nuts) and have a bookshelf full of them.

MCSE... Don't get me started on it... I've worked with too many MCSE techs that don't know active directory from their ass. It's a piece of paper, and too many who have it know how to take a test, not how to implement solutions.

But that's just MY opinion! (I'm not bitter, I swear.)

pahighlander
03-04-2005, 07:52 AM
I got a few of the Microsoft books with the PTI course, they seemed alright - although a bit dry for my tastes. I need something a little more interactive to keep me interested. I didn't think the 4 hours on the road for 4 hours of class time was a good deal for the quality of training at PTI.

Don't worry no paper MCSE here - I'm not getting the cert to find a job! My employer is requiring me to get my cert and they are willing to pay for it. Actually I think federal regulators are telling them they must have an MCSE on staff (yep, work for a bank). I've been the sysadmin here for a year now and was level 2 support before that - plus I've been in IT about 5+ years now (support, tech, contractor, etc).