PDA

View Full Version : Don't hate...fabricate!

MF Steve!
05-29-2007, 11:25 PM
So, I had a spare 3 or 4 hours today, so I had those pieces of 3/16 plate bent, and got to work on that rear bumper for Bill's jeep. Didn't take much time for pix 'til I had finished for the day. That would have taken up time I wasn't willing to waste. Here's one days progress, just sitting on jack stands. Brackets aren't welded on yet...so don't give me that "It's crooked shit!" Anyways here ya go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5290007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5290006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5290002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5290004.jpg

XJchris98
05-29-2007, 11:51 PM
Thats a pretty solid looking bumper! :066:
Nice fab work.

Oh, and Bill....D$#% you and your DARE plate. :013:

Bill
05-29-2007, 11:53 PM

Yeah, the new ones suck!

XJchris98
05-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Tell me about it.

I got my new one right after the deadline before they switched. :icon_frown:
I only went ahead with the order because I dont mind supporting the cause, plus they said that there was a possibility I'd get an old one. Looks like they were wrong. lol

MF Steve!
05-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Thats a pretty solid looking bumper! :066:
Nice fab work.

Thanks, stay tuned for more updates tomorrow. I should have it mounted and have the tire carrier mostly finished.

ComChewy
05-30-2007, 05:29 AM
It looks good, is Bill going to have it double as an air tank?

gonecheenin
05-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Nice, that 45 on the back is perfect

too many bumper companys forget that sometimes these vehicles actually get wheeled & build some square cut monstrousity as an "offroad" bumper

BAD_GNR
05-30-2007, 08:22 AM
dammit steve, why couldn't you fit my bumper in when i was gettin it done? i'm still waiting on mine from the other guy but he's already bought everything and cut it up. looks good though, you do great work.

jeepxj3
05-30-2007, 08:41 AM
now thats just sexay... Im ready when you are for those slidazzz

OverkillZJ
05-30-2007, 09:01 AM
Nice and clean, sweet!

MF Steve!
05-30-2007, 09:03 AM
It looks good, is Bill going to have it double as an air tank?

Uhhh, it's made outta 3/16 plate, no tube involved, so I don't think so. Bill is all about his Powertank.

Nice, that 45 on the back is perfect

too many bumper companys forget that sometimes these vehicles actually get wheeled & build some square cut monstrousity as an "offroad" bumper

It's a bit bigger than the square tube style bumpers, but it's very functional. The angle on the bottom is closer to 60* put the plate goes all the way back under the crossmember to the gas tank skid, so anything that would potentially get hung up will just slide from the bumper to the tank skid with no issues.

Bill
05-30-2007, 09:08 AM
Let me say... The pictures just don't do it justice. It is really best appreciated in person. I am looking forward to seeing it completed.

RalphXJ
05-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Uhhh, it's made outta 3/16 plate, no tube involved, so I don't think so. Bill is all about his Powertank.

Lots of people make bumpers out of plate and use them as air tanks. Dont need any tube, just make it air tight.

Bill
05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
I really don't have any interest in having it double as an airtank... I like the PowerTank set up, and if I do go to an OBA setup I already have a tank for it.

jeepxj3
05-30-2007, 09:22 AM
So are you going to make it into an air tank? :098:

ROFL, sorry I had to, too many people asked about it in this thread...

Sp71Supra
05-30-2007, 11:11 AM
Looks really nice Bill... one of my employees is going to start on his soon for his CJ.

DMG
05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
:023: Nice looking bumper, Steve. Will it fit a Toyota?

XJ667
05-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Looks good. Nice work steve.

But when are you going to get a buggy to fabricate on for yourself?

techno
05-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Looking good. You going to fab in some hi-lift jacking points near the corners?

Bill
05-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Looking good. You going to fab in some hi-lift jacking points near the corners?

When it is complete it will have a hi-lift mount and a CB antenna mount as well. It will also have a 2" receiver for the trailer, 2 D-ring mounts, and it looks like it may even get some integrated reverse lights.

slickwillyo1
05-30-2007, 08:31 PM
That looks really nice. Real clean.

You should make something up for my wj, since i almost ripped both of them off on the intermediate trail at the meridian run. :nod:

Bill
05-30-2007, 08:34 PM
That looks really nice. Real clean.

You should make something up for my wj, since i almost ripped both of them off on the intermediate trail at the meridian run. :nod:

Well, I know Steve has mentioned making some things... PM him and see what he has to say. He is in the garage at the moment finishing off the tire carrier. It looks SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! The tow points are on, the hinge is done, the reveiver is in, and the tire carrier is about 50% done.

Pics to come later tonight...

LowBudget
05-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Very nice work, looks to be perfectly functional :thumbsup:

Bill
05-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Very nice work, looks to be perfectly functional :thumbsup:

I truly couldn't be happier with the bumper or the work Steve has done. It truly is one of the nicest rear bumpers I have seen out there. It is perfectly functional as you said, and it just outright looks bad ass!

MF Steve!
05-30-2007, 11:26 PM
Updates, D-ring tabs, all brackets, receiver tube, and tire carrier are finished. Couple of caps to weld, latch mount, and Hi-Lift/CB brackts are all that are left, so almost done. Here are the pix:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5300009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5300010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5300017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5300019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5300024.jpg

WilberFJones
05-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Sick skills Steve.

--

Hey if you have an old DARE plate, can you still register it...if so, I'll sell someone a DA47P7 :D

Bill
05-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Sick skills Steve.

--

Hey if you have an old DARE plate, can you still register it...if so, I'll sell someone a DA47P7 :D

No, you cant transfer plate ownership...

jeepxj3
05-31-2007, 12:11 AM
Sick bumper Bill! I cant wait to help Steve with my Slidaazzzzzz:040:

MF Steve!
05-31-2007, 12:14 AM

Skip the trip to Vegas and use that $$$ to buy me some metal! Better yet, go to Vegas, win tons of money, and donate some to my cause. Building badass stuff for everyone!

Bill
05-31-2007, 12:17 AM

We were talking about them earlier tonight... You should discuss some of Steve's ideas on that with him. I bet they end up kicking ass!!!

LordAthens
05-31-2007, 09:17 AM
That a sweet looking bumper Steve, excellent job man. See yin'z later this evening.

jeepxj3
05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
After seeing Steve's work im not too worried Bill. Besides we talked about it a little allready. I might get a set of TNT's Frame stiffeners and use those to build off of, would make for a SOLID Jeep, with steel frame railz! :drool:

jeepxj3
05-31-2007, 10:59 AM
Hey Steve, your skillz gots me thinking....

http://www.thexota.org/d/5134-2/100_3699.jpg

ezman
05-31-2007, 05:29 PM
that is a super clean looking bumper... i dig it... did you cut out the tabs and the mounting plates or did you order them in....

oh and bill i think steve broke your taillight...

MF Steve!
05-31-2007, 06:25 PM
that is a super clean looking bumper... i dig it... did you cut out the tabs and the mounting plates or did you order them in....

oh and bill i think steve broke your taillight...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! Tail light isnt broke...just un-bolted to get the guard off. It was in my way of drilling. The shackle tabs, frame brackets, hinge and tire mount were purchased. It's actually cheaper for me to buy them, than make them.

I'm priming the bumper right now and the paint will be sprayed soon. Bolting it on later tonight!

Krod
05-31-2007, 06:30 PM
Looks like AtoZ fab parts (hinge, tire plate, mounts). Good stuff, we used the same on my swing-out.:023:

J, we need to have a fab party when you get back from Vegas. Your sliders and frame stiffeners, my driver side rocker and rear crossmember. :icon_pidu:

Jpdst29
05-31-2007, 06:47 PM
wow...that is really kick ass steve...i should pay you to make mine

Lunchbox
05-31-2007, 08:13 PM
sweet work.

MF Steve!
05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Well...the bumper is complete. It is mounted and there are no issues at all. Pix will be up later tonight...

notmYJ
05-31-2007, 10:35 PM
The bumper looks damn good.

Are you worried at all about the hinge? I have seen pics of the ones used in a single shear design break. I have a good design for a double shear that I am making for mine that uses sealed bearings. Similar to the Warn design....only better. Not trying to knock Steves work, it looks damn good, I just don't like the trailer spindle idea. A Double sheardesign would be much stronger.

MF Steve!
05-31-2007, 10:45 PM
The bumper looks damn good.

Are you worried at all about the hinge? I have seen pics of the ones used in a single shear design break. I have a good design for a double shear that I am making for mine that uses sealed bearings. Similar to the Warn design....only better. Not trying to knock Steves work, it looks damn good, I just don't like the trailer spindle idea. A Double sheardesign would be much stronger.

The warn uses no bearings. It's a solid shaft with no greaseable components. The bearings on the hinge i used are tapered roler bearings. There is a standard axle shaft seal on the underside and a hub cap up top. Nothing to worry about...it's water tight. I stood on top of the carrier in the open position and it didn't budge. If anyone here can break my shit, I'll kiss all your asses...all of them.

LordAthens
05-31-2007, 10:50 PM
Steve,

Dave wasn't concerned about the bearings. His concern is the single attachment point to the carrier.

Dave's design is pretty cool, allows 2 attachment points to fully support the hinge, one at the bottom and one at the top from a brace coming up from the bumper. His design uses 2 roller bearings.

I'm not sure about the A to Z pieces, but I've seen a number of posts on ROF and JU about the Rockstomper hinges shearing at the base.

Bill
05-31-2007, 10:54 PM
Trust me... this bumper is sturdy as hell!

The finished product is even better than I expected!

Alley
05-31-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm still not seeing any pictures here..... and its getting past my bedtime.

MF Steve!
05-31-2007, 11:29 PM

You'll just have to stay up later! They're being uploaded as soon as I shower...Just got home after a fun filled 15hr. day. Plus, you'll get to see it tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day.

MF Steve!
05-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Steve,

Dave wasn't concerned about the bearings. His concern is the single attachment point to the carrier.

Dave's design is pretty cool, allows 2 attachment points to fully support the hinge, one at the bottom and one at the top from a brace coming up from the bumper. His design uses 2 roller bearings.

I'm not sure about the A to Z pieces, but I've seen a number of posts on ROF and JU about the Rockstomper hinges shearing at the base.

The exact reason why I didn't buy a Rockstomper. A-Z stands behind their products, and told me they haven't had any reports of snapped spindles. Their only suggestion was to not heat it up too much, which I didn't. I ran a small bead around the perimiter up top, again underneath after cooling, and a bead along the spindle inside of the bumper where it lays against one of the gussets inside the bumper, which just so happens to be where the frame tie in, and bracket are located.

Sealed bearings are nice, but this bumper already has a lot of $ into it. To take the time to have a piece of tube machined out to accept the bearings, have a spindle machined, etc...we're talking a week lead time, and probably about $100. I see no compromises in my build, and I'll stand by what I've created day in, and day out.

Bill
05-31-2007, 11:41 PM

I am downloading the pics from the camera, and uploading to photobucket as I type this...

MF Steve!
05-31-2007, 11:59 PM
So, I thought I'd give some material specs.

Bumper:

3/16" hot rolled plate steel

3/4" thick d-ring shackle tabs

1/4" thick 2" receiver hitch, 7" in length

A-Z Fabrication heavy duty carrier hinge, tapered roller bearings, standard seals.

White teflon buffer block, fastened with stainless allen head screws

Tire Carrier:

2" x 3" x 3/16" square tube primary rail

2" x 2" x 3/16" square tube secondary rails

3/8" thick tire carrier plate

De-Sta-Co stainless steel toggle latch, with all stainless allen head fasteners

Stainless studs for Hi-Lift jack with plastic t-handle knobs

Finish:

All surface welds on bumper ground smooth, and sanded with #60 wheel.

Two coats of self etching primer

Black scratch resistant texture paint finish.

Here are the pictures of the final product:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5310019.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5310021.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5310022.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5310029.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5310027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5310011.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5310010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/o|||||||o/Rear%20Bumper%20Build/P5310008.jpg

Bill
06-01-2007, 12:14 AM
More daylight pics to come soon...

Alley
06-01-2007, 12:33 AM
soon as in next Tuesday..

Bill
06-01-2007, 12:35 AM
soon as in next Tuesday..

I will probably take some in the morning. I am not sure if I will have the ability to post them tomorrow, if not Sunday night they should be up.

JeepGeneral
06-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Looks good Steve, I hope you kept all your measurements because I'm sure someone else will probably want one!

DMG
06-01-2007, 06:14 AM
It looks better in person than in the pics.

quicksilver_rubicon
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Looks good. Fantastic work!

OverkillZJ
06-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Purdddddddddddy

MF Steve!
06-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Looks good Steve, I hope you kept all your measurements because I'm sure someone else will probably want one!

Thanks man! I didn't really take too many measurements. Most of them are in my head. There were some unique things I had to incorporate in this fab. job. I wanted to cover the gap left by Bill's 1" body lift, and utilizing that idea would also lift the bumper up an extra 1" for added clearance. I probably should have taken a few more measurements...but I've always got access to that one if the need ever came up.

Jpdst29
06-03-2007, 11:18 PM
i would for sure be interested in one whenever i lift my jeep, and also possibly we could brainstorm on a nice design for a front bumper

MF Steve!
06-03-2007, 11:20 PM
i would for sure be interested in one whenever i lift my jeep, and also possibly we could brainstorm on a nice design for a front bumper

I'm all about it Jerome. I could easily make a front to match, or a stubby version for increased approach angle, and keeping the weight down up front. Keep me posted...I've always got time.

SteelCity311
06-03-2007, 11:52 PM
It looks better in person than in the pics.
Yeah. I took a good look at it this weekend. Very well built!!
Unbelievable craftsmanship in 2 days.
Keep up the good work!

Cebby
06-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Read the info on the hinge and understand the choice for AtoZ. If they've had no failures that's awesome.

One thing I didn't see was what the diameter of the spindle is? Just curious.

The good thing about the overall design of this swing out is that Steve kept the tire mount fairly short (up from the hinge) - meaning the leverage action of a heavy tire isn't as bad as if it were longer. Standing on it is good, but 2-3 months of real world testing and wheeling is the ultimate litmus test. Most of the failures of single shear hinges occur over time.

Steve - curious why you chose to mount the latch the way you did. I've not seen one mounted vertically like that.

Really nice execution and design.

Alley
06-04-2007, 09:04 AM
I got to see the bumper in person this weekend, Steve it looks excellent! Top notch work!!

Bill
06-04-2007, 10:44 AM
curious why you chose to mount the latch the way you did. I've not seen one mounted vertically like that.

Cebby,

The funtionality of the latch is pretty interesting. You leave the latch in the secure position when it is open and swing the tire carrier shut. All you have to do at that point is place the latch in the open position and then secure it. The latch automatically slides into the hook in the secure position. Works like a champ.

To open the tire carrier unsecure the hatch and with your finger pressed against it re secure it. This allows for the hook to miss conecting with the tire carrier and allows the tire carrier to then open.

Hard to explain... easy to demonstrate. The next time we get together you will have to definitely check it out. It is pretty slick!

MF Steve!
06-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Read the info on the hinge and understand the choice for AtoZ. If they've had no failures that's awesome.

One thing I didn't see was what the diameter of the spindle is? Just curious.

The good thing about the overall design of this swing out is that Steve kept the tire mount fairly short (up from the hinge) - meaning the leverage action of a heavy tire isn't as bad as if it were longer. Standing on it is good, but 2-3 months of real world testing and wheeling is the ultimate litmus test. Most of the failures of single shear hinges occur over time.

Steve - curious why you chose to mount the latch the way you did. I've not seen one mounted vertically like that.

Well...At first I didn't think the latch would even work. They actually sent me a part that was one number off, and its about 1" smaller than expected. I found that out yesterday, just looking around the supply house website I purchased it from. It actually worked out great, and it's kinda fail safe. Even if the latch were to hit something and pop open on the trail, it couldn't fully disengage and let the carrier swing open. That part was kind of an accident, but everything worked out rather great.

I chose the vertical mount to keep it out of harms way. Less of a chance of getting bashed on the trail up top rather than on the face. Also, having the hook for the latch behind the piece of angle keeps that protected as well...Obviously smaller parts are more fragile.

As for the spindle, the diameter is 1". If by some slim chance, it were to shear...I've got alternate design ideas. One being bearingless and stainless steel in 2" in diameter.

Bill
06-04-2007, 05:07 PM
So, have you decided what is next?

I know you have a list, but what is next on the list?

MF Steve!
06-04-2007, 05:45 PM
So, have you decided what is next?

I know you have a list, but what is next on the list?

Ummmm not sure. Probably Jenn's rock rail issue. Maybe DMG's bumper this weekend, and Krod's boatsides. I also need to measure for Shmoopy bumpers.

Bill
06-04-2007, 05:48 PM
We need to discuss a front bumper for a TJ too...

I would ditch the ARB for the right bumper!

MF Steve!
06-04-2007, 05:50 PM

OK.

ezman
06-04-2007, 07:02 PM
that is one sweet ass looking bumper man... again... awesome work....

oh and you fixed the tail light....hahahaah...

Bill
06-04-2007, 07:05 PM

The LEDs are coming soon...

Bill
06-04-2007, 07:05 PM

The LEDs are coming soon...

Cebby
06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Nice double post, newbie...

Alley
06-04-2007, 09:29 PM

Wow, that must be some serious bumper love.... I thought the ARB was the shiznit.

Oh and Tyler must have dug the bumper set up as he took a photo of it in his photo conquest....

http://alleycattz.com/albums/GWNF/IMG_2279060407012jpgQSnL_MnG.sized.jpg

MF Steve!
06-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Fixed up Jenn's (Harley25) JK today. The Mopar rock rails are too long on the back end, and at full compression the tire hits not only the rock rail, but the pinch weld where the tub and rocker come together. I must say...this is one of the nicest Jeeps I've seen, let alone worked on. I'm really impressed with the performance of it!

I didn't get any pictures of the fix, but here are some test shots to see how much needed trimming. More pix of the fix later, along with some modification and improvement to the Mopar rear tire carrier/bumper. I'll also be looking at making up a nice 3-piece skid for underneath, since there doesn't seem to be many options out there.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/steveschiavon/img193.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/steveschiavon/img192.jpg

Bill
06-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Oh, I thought I had the tire off the ground... No good pics of that?

MF Steve!
06-07-2007, 12:05 AM
Oh, I thought I had the tire off the ground... No good pics of that?

No, it was off for a second...but it was on all four after it stopped rocking. The Q was lazy and forgot to save the other pix.

Bill
06-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Oh, and a word of advice to anyone with a JK that likes the Mopar rear bumper.... DON'T DO IT!

MF Steve!
06-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Oh, and a word of advice to anyone with a JK that likes the Mopar rear bumper.... DON'T DO IT!

Yeah, new latch to be added, brackets for a Hi-Lift, and some serious work on the hinge needs done. As sweet as the bumper looks...It's disappointing in the quality department. It's assembled well, but designed horribly.

I'm curious to see how the rock rails hold up too. Theyre quite beefy, but only bolt to the body. No frame tie-ins , and nothing mounted in conjunction with the body mounts. Just two nut-serts into the floor pan, and four 3/16" bolts through the pinch weld.

HeepH8erTy
06-07-2007, 12:23 AM
good luck with the pro comp mts... see if they last over 20k for ya lol. and sweet work steve! that bumper looks awesome. Here is the one i made for my truck. its 3x5 square steel thats 3/16's thick.
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/8817/dscn5587sc2.jpg
gonna hurc it soon and weld on a cb antenna mount.

MF Steve!
06-07-2007, 12:26 AM
good luck with the pro comp mts... see if they last over 20k for ya lol. and sweet work steve! that bumper looks awesome. Here is the one i made for my truck. its 3x5 square steel thats 3/16's thick.

gonna hurc it soon and weld on a cb antenna mount.

Cool man...I hope you're gonna ditch that spare tire from under there! Might wanna get rid of that "probable cause" license plate cover too...

HeepH8erTy
06-07-2007, 12:32 AM
yea that was when i first made the bumper. lots changed since then. ditched the spare from under there, bolted on a antenna mount, lots of dings and chips on it to from backing into stuff and my friends (derek) trying to push me while at red lights. ya, im prob gonna get rid of it soon... just wanted the black look in the back. speaking of... i wanna know how to get a DARE liscense plate...but i wont postjack... startin a new one on it

SteelCity311
06-07-2007, 04:19 AM
No, it was off for a second...but it was on all four after it stopped rocking. The Q was lazy and forgot to save the other pix.
WO WO WO , the all mighty Q failed!?!?!?!

Harley25
06-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Thank you Steve for the excellent work! I got a good look at the rails this morning in the daylight before work, and I must say it looks so much better than it did before, and hopefully this will stop the majority of the rubbing. Tonight I'm going to start looking for a body lift and see what I come up with.

Bill
06-07-2007, 10:44 AM
WO WO WO , the all mighty Q failed!?!?!?!

Had to be user error... (Don't tell Steve!)

pghfj40
06-07-2007, 11:59 AM
Hi. I'd like to know where around here you can get the plate bent, and how they charge...

I'm planning a bumper/carrier for my '40, and had mostly resigned myself to basing it on square tube... but bent plate would be a lot better for what i'd like to achieve... I wanna include an angled/ramped section on the bottom (like you did) below the crossmember down to where the round tube is in this pic (http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/pghfj40/2006_CMCC/IMG_5542.jpg) or that (http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f396/pghfj40/2006_CMCC/IMG_5534.jpg) (that tube protects my tank).

Thanks in advance. -Ed '70FJ40

LordAthens
06-07-2007, 01:04 PM
Fieldcrest steel in Carnegie will bend plate.

MF Steve!
06-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Fieldcrest sucks balls. They're miserable. They're ignorant. To top it off, they never answer the phone, or return messages. If you want to get something bent accurately and cheap, call Bishop Metals Inc. in Mt. Oliver. They'll bend it while you wait.

Bishop Metals Inc.
422 Hays Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15210

412 481 5501

Muzikman
06-07-2007, 02:42 PM
So, Steve, no real fab work for you, but I want you to take a look at the booger welds on the Jeep's LA brackets. I would like a welders opinion on the quality of the welds as I have not welded since high school and I think I could have done a better job. There are also a few other rendom places that someone dropped some boogers on... if possible I want someone to clean them up for me.

MF Steve!
06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
So, Steve, no real fab work for you, but I want you to take a look at the booger welds on the Jeep's LA brackets. I would like a welders opinion on the quality of the welds as I have not welded since high school and I think I could have done a better job. There are also a few other rendom places that someone dropped some boogers on... if possible I want someone to clean them up for me.

No problem. Is it road worthy yet? If so...just bring it to my garage...I mean Bill's house and I'll check them out.

Muzikman
06-07-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, it's on the road...and currently my DD, though it needs an alignment something evil. Know of any local places that won't freak out when they see the LA suspension and inverted T steering?

You going to be with the boyfriend...er...I mean Bill this Saturday at the Jeep show on Rt28?

MF Steve!
06-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Yeah, it's on the road...and currently my DD, though it needs an alignment something evil. Know of any local places that won't freak out when they see the LA suspension and inverted T steering?

You going to be with the boyfriend...er...I mean Bill this Saturday at the Jeep show on Rt28?

Exqueeze me? DMG said there is a guy out in Moon at one of the dealerships that is the alignment god. PM him for more info on that. I should be at the Jeep show...probably bringing some beetches. Not sure what time I'll be rollin in.

Wrecker
06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
ruf ruf

OverkillZJ
06-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Hate to say it, but I think Fieldcrest can be a bunch of jackasses that don't return calls and try to make you miserable as well. Their prices are awesome, but they're a complete PITA.

notmYJ
06-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Field Crest dosn't return phone calls. The office chicks are nice, and the yard guys and truck drivers hate anything that is breathing. I have delt with them for a while. Not, bad guys once you feel them out a bit... Just gotta treat them like they treat you and they are fine....

Any way, Filed Crest dosn't bend or in any other way manipulate metal aside from the most simple straight cuts. GFS/Scott Metals in the Carnegie industrial park is where you wanna go. They bend up to 1 or 1 1/4" plate, just about any radius. They have a lazer bed, torch bed, pres brake, CAD services, mills, etc. We have had many many things done by them and it all came back perfect. Give them a scale drawing and they will redraw it and lazer cut it to your exact specs like its nothing.... We gave them a T6 housing, and some stainless, and in one day they handed me a stack of T6 exhaust gaskets. Plus they actually return phone calls. ;)

DMG
06-08-2007, 06:56 AM

If it will fit on our alignment rack we can do it. Lou Bevier in Canonsburg is very good too although I don't know how he feels about lifted stuff.

LordAthens
06-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Ah, my confusion apparently.

I thought that stuff that got bent up came from Fieldcrest.

ezman
06-08-2007, 05:20 PM
hardbody... i like how you did your exhaust... do the inspection stations say anything about it... does it rattle at all... how about did you go to mount it like that...

STINKBOMB
06-13-2007, 11:53 PM
ya, bevier will do it, he just tack on a few extra dollars.... or just throw his son a 20 n he'll do it whenever he's not busy... my dads been takin cars there for years... they do good, loyal work there...

95TacoKid
06-14-2007, 09:28 AM
If it will fit on our alignment rack we can do it. Lou Bevier in Canonsburg is very good too although I don't know how he feels about lifted stuff.

thats who did my truck after i lifted it and my dad has also been takling cars down there for years... im gonna be replacin a tierod this weekend and im definately taking it to him to get an alighment afterwards

ZiMM
09-14-2007, 08:33 AM
great bumper. you oughta fab up a kit and sell a few.

Bill
09-14-2007, 08:56 AM
great bumper. you oughta fab up a kit and sell a few.

Thats what I keep telling him. I have got nothing but compliments on the thing!

LBF
09-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Bill's bumper looks pretty good...

Any chance of working out a front bumper design for my choptop and a rear bumper for my Ranger?

ZiMM
09-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Thats what I keep telling him. I have got nothing but compliments on the thing!

yea. dont finish it. let the owner do the pita shit. offer it with 2 spindles for guys that want a can holder on one side.

MF Steve!
09-14-2007, 05:58 PM
yea. dont finish it. let the owner do the pita shit. offer it with 2 spindles for guys that want a can holder on one side.

Painting and such isn't a PITA to me. I want to see the finish product before I hand it over...chances are, someone else may be satisfied with the quality, but if I'm not...I won't let you pay me for it. I'm the king of anti-half ass.

MF Steve!
09-14-2007, 05:59 PM
Bill's bumper looks pretty good...

Any chance of working out a front bumper design for my choptop and a rear bumper for my Ranger?

I'm sure I could whip somethin up for ya. I've never really played around w/ a Ranger before, but I'm sure I could make somethin w/ nice lines!

ZiMM
09-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Painting and such isn't a PITA to me. I want to see the finish product before I hand it over...chances are, someone else may be satisfied with the quality, but if I'm not...I won't let you pay me for it. I'm the king of anti-half ass.

i was thinking a customer may want a specific paint code or something which would be a waste of time on your part to offer a kit with anything other than primer. the tire and jerry can holders arnt that difficult, and needs/wamts vary. its the base bumper you fabbed up that sets it apart. it would be like a customized kaymar.

mudforblood
09-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I was thinking a customer may want a specific paint code or something which would be a waste of time on your part to offer a kit with anything other than primer. The tire and jerry can holders are not that difficult, and needs/wants vary. Its the base bumper you fabbed up that sets it apart. It would be like a customized kaymar.

:023: Your (you are) welcome. :icon_butt::098:

LBF
09-14-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm sure I could whip somethin up for ya. I've never really played around w/ a Ranger before, but I'm sure I could make somethin w/ nice lines!
Sounds good!

I hadn't really planned on replacing the rear bumper on my Ranger for quite some time, but then I got "helped along" on the issue...

The step bumper has proven useful so I hate to do away completely with something similar (basically what I like best is being able to sit on the open tailgate an perch a beer on the corner of the bumper sticking out next to me), because I had thought of doing a rollpan for awhile.

What happened was I failed to double check things when someone else helped hook up a Jeep on a towbar... soon as I started moving it jumped the ball, I felt somethin wrong an ran the clutch in...wrong move, BAM. Stock bumpers just ain't very sturdy anymore... the jeep that caught up with me couldn't have been going faster than about 1mph, but is sure smashed up my bumper.

DodgeMudder
09-15-2007, 12:45 PM
What happened was I failed to double check things when someone else helped hook up a Jeep on a towbar... soon as I started moving it jumped the ball, I felt somethin wrong an ran the clutch in...wrong move, BAM. Stock bumpers just ain't very sturdy anymore... the jeep that caught up with me couldn't have been going faster than about 1mph, but is sure smashed up my bumper.

Gee I wonder who's Jeep could have done that:098:

Sorry about that:109:

MF Steve!
09-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Sounds good!

I hadn't really planned on replacing the rear bumper on my Ranger for quite some time, but then I got "helped along" on the issue...

The step bumper has proven useful so I hate to do away completely with something similar (basically what I like best is being able to sit on the open tailgate an perch a beer on the corner of the bumper sticking out next to me), because I had thought of doing a rollpan for awhile.

How about something with all the stock function, and lots more protection? I'm sure I could make the Ranger bumper from hell!

LBF
09-16-2007, 07:43 PM
How about something with all the stock function, and lots more protection? I'm sure I could make the Ranger bumper from hell!
That's what I'm lookin to have done!

FWIW, I saw a bumper on a Ranger at the Summit Racing's truckshow this weekend, grabbed a couple pics of it, it's more or less what I had in mind, but like most things, I'm wide open for ideas/improvements.

MF Steve!
09-16-2007, 09:24 PM
That's what I'm lookin to have done!

FWIW, I saw a bumper on a Ranger at the Summit Racing's truckshow this weekend, grabbed a couple pics of it, it's more or less what I had in mind, but like most things, I'm wide open for ideas/improvements.

Post up the pix...I'm willing to clone, and improve!

xeccllc
03-18-2009, 09:47 AM
dam.. hey MF Steve! (http://www.pgh-offroad.com/forum/member.php?u=76) very good work on that bumper.. that is nice..

96greenxjjeep
03-18-2009, 10:48 AM
this is old......

HeepH8erTy
03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
this is old......

:104: a man cant compliment another man on a job well done? It is a nice ass bumper.

MF Steve!
03-18-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys! Its old...

OverkillZJ
03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Steve's avatar is old too, but I don't mind looking at it!

MF Steve!
03-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Steve's avatar is old too, but I don't mind looking at it!

It will always be my avatar, unless of course I find a better ass. Which I dounbt will happen!

While many like that bumper design...I think I could improve on it more now. I've learned a lot in the 2 years since I built that thing. I'd say my welds look 10000 times better, and I've got a lot more creativity in my build designs. If I had any initiative at all...there would probably be even more!

96greenxjjeep
03-18-2009, 05:29 PM
i was just saying that its been a while since this has been seen thats all

oldschoolyotaguy
08-24-2009, 06:49 PM
dont forget to clean the dust off this thing before you try welding on it haha :flipoff:

been awhile since any updates... am i gonna file for retirement before it gets finished?????

OverkillZJ
08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Yes...

MF Steve!
08-24-2009, 11:52 PM
I'm over it...no desire. Its kinda for sale, someone make it go away so I can pay off some stuff and buy a Harley...

oldschoolyotaguy
08-25-2009, 12:08 PM
price? pm's fine