PDA

View Full Version : Mounting CD changer

Happycamper
03-23-2005, 03:23 PM
I could get a pretty sweet deal on a alpine head unit and 6 disc changer. Only thing is I have no clue where I could mount this thing. The guy that I'm buying it off of said when he bought the TJ it was mounted under the passenger seat, previous owner must not have wheeled that much. He said it would fit in the console but I use mine for all my random crap. Anyone have ant suggestions? TIA!!

Bill
03-23-2005, 03:40 PM
It very well could be time to buy a Tuffy box for the rear...

r6cyclegal
03-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Ohhhh let me answer this one!!!!!! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

I bought Bill a CD changer for Christmas a couple years ago and we couldn't find ANYWHERE to hide it in the Sahara. I ended up taking it back and he got his digital camera. He wanted it somewhere that noone could see it to steal it through the soft top.

You could put it in a tuffy behind the rear seat but that is permanently mounted and we needed that room for camping. The other option is along the wheelwell. We were going to get a metal box to put around it so it couldn't get stolen but you could still take the CD's out but it will get wet/muddy wheeling.

Don't buy it or accept that it may be stolen (and windows cut to get it) or ruined wheeling.

Happycamper
03-23-2005, 03:56 PM
:crybaby:
This sucks, I'm not too worried aboot it getting stolen. But I can'think of anywhere out of the way to mount it. The heep needs $$ going to other things, I refuse to spend a ton of cash on a Cdplayer. I wasn't even looking for changer this guy on JU had it for $45.

I just need something that plays CD's!!!!!!!!

r6cyclegal
03-23-2005, 04:14 PM
If it can be mounted on it's side you can mount it behind the rear seat or along the side if you don't have a seat.

Or you could fashion a bracket and hang it on the rollover bar :smt081 No one would look there to steal it :wink: and as long as you keep all 4 wheels on the ground it would be relatively safe wheeling it. :smt106

Bill
03-23-2005, 05:22 PM
You can probably get away with hacking up your center console and hiding it in there. Just my thought...

r6cyclegal
03-23-2005, 05:27 PM
Ah if you pay attention he said he needs his center console and didn't want to put it there! :roll:

Bill
03-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Ah if you pay attention he said he needs his center console and didn't want to put it there! :roll:

I know... but he still has his glove box. Depending on the size of the changer (I have seen some tiny Alpine 6-disc changers) he should be okay.

r6cyclegal
03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
You wouldn't do it so why should he?

Get off the computer and go to work and make me some money. I'm going home to sit on my butt all night :smt080

Happycamper
03-23-2005, 08:24 PM
Alright, kids I don't want to start a spat! Thanks for the suggestions, I'm probably going to get it and I'll figure something out.

Mounting it inside the console is not completly out of the question. It's like the junk drawer everyone has at home. It's got all of that junk in there that I think might come in handy. So far none of it has, LOL!

He said the changer only has one wire that connects it to the deck. I guess it's a pretty cool set up. And if the wiring harness is correct, just clip it in and it's done. I told him I don't want to have to buy mounting kits and all kinds of extras to make it fit. He told me that it's an easy setup so that's a bonus.

Bill
03-24-2005, 08:29 AM
You should be able to mount it in the console and keep it totally out of view pretty easily.

r6cyclegal
03-24-2005, 10:50 AM
And out of the way of flying ice tea at Matt's house!

LordAthens
03-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Depending on how good of a deal the Alpine is, you may be better of with an mp3 player solution or.. Get a cd head that reads mp3 CD's..

I can't tell you the last time I actually listened to a CD. It pretty much goes as follows;

Purchase CD
Take CD home and rip with EAC to FLAC + OGG & MP3
Load CD onto iPod
Original CD gets placed into CD rack to stay in pristine condition

Or at the very least, I can throw 700megs worth of MP3's onto a CD, which equates to ~140 songs or ~11 albums. And I never have to shuffle CD's around.

Just a thought. A CD changer, IMO is just one more thing for a theif to see and give reason to break into the Jeep for.