PDA

View Full Version : Budget Boost installation

TimMichaels
03-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Well, I ordered a 2.125" Budget Boost from Kevin's today... I know it's not much but at least its something.

How hard are these things to install? Is this something I can handle over a weekend in my own garage or am I going to have to take it to a shop? Any idea how much a shop might charge to put the BB on?

OverkillZJ
03-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Easy to install, my dad did his WJ on his own without my help.

Might need to borrow / rent strut or spring compressors (death.)

Bill
03-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Dave (deapee) and I did one on Heidi's WJ in no time at all...

Cebby
03-24-2005, 08:52 AM
I did mine in the middle of December with only 1/2 of my rig in the garage at a time. I have spring compressors that someone else is borrowing right now. If I can get them back, you can borrow them.

r6cyclegal
03-24-2005, 10:53 AM
I still want to learn how to put one on a WJ since I missed my install. If we get a wrenching group together I want to watch/learn.

TimMichaels
03-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I did mine in the middle of December with only 1/2 of my rig in the garage at a time. I have spring compressors that someone else is borrowing right now. If I can get them back, you can borrow them.

I just might have to take you up on that offer. :D

Cebby
03-31-2005, 09:02 PM
OK, I'm picking them up tomorrow.

When is the install? Do you want to meet me for them somewhere?

TimMichaels
03-31-2005, 10:23 PM
OK, I'm picking them up tomorrow.

When is the install? Do you want to meet me for them somewhere?

Thanks so much!

I'm not sure when the install will be just yet... still need to get the BB in the mail... damn postal service.

I can pretty much pick them up any time. If you wanna meet somewhere thats just fine but I don't mind doing all the travel myself since you're the one helping me out. Just let me know!

Thanks again!! :D

Cebby
03-31-2005, 10:34 PM
Where's Elizabeth by? I live and work out in Oakmont (for the most part) which is out Rt. 28 North (near Harmar/old exit 5 on the TP) Let me know when you need them and we'll figure something out.

Cebby
04-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Got the spring compressors tonight. Let me know when you want them.

dp
04-02-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm guessing you're installing it on a WJ? Try without the spring compressors first...those things really are dangerous. Use them as a last resort...even a friend to stand on the axle is better.

Cebby
04-02-2005, 10:40 AM
I'm guessing you're installing it on a WJ? Try without the spring compressors first...those things really are dangerous. Use them as a last resort...even a friend to stand on the axle is better.

I had heard all the horror stories and was afraid of those things... But...

Nothing dangerous about them if used properly. On a WJ, you just use them as spring "holders". You compress the spring by jacking up axle with a floorjack and attaching the compressors. Then drop the axle and spring almost falls out. Makes the BB install super easy.

These ones are brand new with safety clips. Used twice so far - once for my WJ BB install and my buddy used them to install Cruiser coils on his 92 4Runner.

dp
04-02-2005, 10:53 AM
I had heard all the horror stories and was afraid of those things... But...

Nothing dangerous about them if used properly. On a WJ, you just use them as spring "holders". You compress the spring by jacking up axle with a floorjack and attaching the compressors. Then drop the axle and spring almost falls out. Makes the BB install super easy.

heh...they're pretty dangerous no matter how they're used. I've seen people nearly lose a head and heard stories where people did get pretty screwed up. It's science -- it's not a question of if the compressor will fail, it's when it will fail.

Now I'm not saying I wouldn't use them, and I have, but if given the choice, especially something simple like a 2" spacer lift, I'd stear clear. It's just too easy to pop the spring in without them that I don't think it's worth the risk.

TimMichaels
04-03-2005, 01:30 PM

Actually, its for a ZJ (as much as I'd love a WJ this was a gift so I'll take it haha.) I have heard the problems of using spring compressors... what are some alternatives? I'm sort of a n00b when it comes to this stuff.

OverkillZJ
04-03-2005, 11:03 PM
Dave's right, avoid the compressors when you can.

If you disconnect the sway bar and shocks, you should be able to jimmy thing springs up in there, but it's tight. If you use compressors, you should only have to compress them that last .25" or so anyway. By any means don't ever, ever compress them several inches. I used to, learned the hard way that that'll get you a darwin award real fast.

Cebby
05-22-2005, 09:18 PM
How did this come out? Any news from Tim?

TimMichaels
05-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Turned out pretty well! I really enjoy the extra clearance (yet sadly I still want more :twisted: ) It really wasn't too difficult of a job... did it myself but it somewhat took me awhile. Thanks so much for letting me borrow those compressors. Just let me know how and when you want me to get those back to you.