PDA

View Full Version : New Commander

r6cyclegal
03-31-2005, 11:44 AM
http://autos.msn.com/as/minishow/article.aspx?contentID=4023107&s=NewYork2005&src=News

Jeep Reveals Commander and Grand Cherokee SRT8 in New York

by Mike Meredith

The 2006 Commander has three rows of seats and a classic Jeep look; the Grand Cherokee SRT8 is the most powerful Jeep ever.

Here in New York Jeep rolled into the full-size SUV segment with its new 2006 Commander, the first Jeep with 7-passenger seating wrapped in an exterior package that looks remarkably like the original Jeep Cherokee. The exterior shape is very square and vertical, characterized by an upright windshield, vertical back glass and straight sides, capped off with the signature Jeep seven-slot grille.

Designed to accommodate three rows of seats, the Commander is two inches longer than the Grand Cherokee, although it does have the same wheelbase. Stadium seating provides better forward visibility for rear-seat passengers, with each seat positioned higher than the seat in front of it. A stepped roof delivers adequate headroom and Command-View skylights over the second row offer additional interior lighting.

The interior styling features a two-tone instrument panel unique to Commander, with four round gauges in the instrument cluster and a new steering wheel design. The seats are designed to be both supportive and comfortable, offered in three rows for the first time in a Jeep. The second- and third-row seats fold forward to create a flat cargo floor.

Commander offers the same 4-wheel-drive systems, suspension and powertrains as the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee, including an independent front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Commander will offer a choice of three full-time 4-wheel drive systems—Quadra-Trac I, Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II—as well as two different transfer cases offering Brake Traction Control System (BTCS), and Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) for excellent off-road performance.

Three engines are offered: the 335-horsepower 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 with the Multi-Displacement System, the 235-horsepower 4.7-liter Power Tech V8, and the 3.7-liter SOHC Power Tech V-6 engine.

Grand Cherokee SRT8 Most Powerful Jeep Ever

Powered by a 415-horsepower 6.1-liter HEMI V8, the Grand Cherokee SRT8 is the quickest Jeep ever produced, capable of accelerating from zero to 60 mph in under 5 seconds.

The first Jeep to receive performance upgrades from Chrysler's Street and Racing Technology (SRT) team, the Grand Cherokee SRT8 includes a specially developed all-wheel-drive system.

In addition to the HEMI, the Grand Cherokee SRT8 gets optimized for balanced performance with SRT-tuned shocks, unique sway bars, special spring rates, and revised suspension bushings. The ride height of the Grand Cherokee SRT8 is one inch lower than the Grand Cherokee, which adds to the aggressive stance and actually reduces aerodynamic drag.

"Jeep vehicles lead the way in performance and versatility," said Jeff Bell, vice president of Jeep in the Chrysler Group. "The all-new 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 adds a new dimension to performance and versatility—and value. With its SRT-engineered 6.1-liter HEMI® engine and specially developed full-time four-wheel-drive system, the 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 provides stunning performance in an amazing variety of driving conditions."

"The all-new 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 marries Jeep capability with SRT performance to create a vehicle that will leave in its dust competitors that cost twice the price," Bell added.

8)

Bill
03-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Commander?

I think they just brought back the Cherokee under a new name. They have been selling them over in Asia all along.

http://fp.images.autos.msn.com/merismus/gallery/c454196a.jpg
Commander

Looks a lot loke a Cherokee to me.

r6cyclegal
03-31-2005, 05:10 PM
The purpose is to look like a Cherokee. I like that it has 3 rows of seats but it looks like it would be impossible to get in the back. The door isn't any bigger than my door is and I don't know how there would be enough room for seat to get out of the way to get in the back. I would like to see one in real life though.

TimMichaels
03-31-2005, 09:44 PM
Am I the only person who likes the XK? Obviously its not going to be a trail rig, but it looks good and likely will handle better than most other "SUVs" (read: minivans) being produced today.

I think most people are bashing Jeep's current direction too much. Undoubtedly they are softening up, but they're current plan is an ingenius way to protect themselves. Let's face it, there just isn't enough market for a rig truly worthy of offroading. The current SUV buyers are looking for one of four types of SUV's... a small, "cute," comfortable SUV that can hold its own offroad but will never leave pavement; an ultra-comfortable mid-size that will handle harsh conditions; a massive gas-hog that Mom can take the whole soccer team to practice in but Dad can still tow the boat or camper; and an inexpensive softroader with every quality of a car. Jeep has filled in each of these scenarios with the KJ, WK, XK and the future Compass/Scout respectively. They are taking back the SUV market that they started and monopolized, and creating a counter-attack to H2's, Explorers, Escapes, and Suzuki's and all the other rebuilds in disguise. Their marketing strategy is perfect.

For those who think this makes Jeep a sell-out, you have to consider that a company must follow the demands of the majority. However, with other flagships to carry the company Jeep will have the funds to keep producing the ever-popular Wranglers, which are about the only capable rig left, despite a necessary redesign. Fortunately, it appears Jeep is keeping it pretty similar.

Just my 2 cents...