PDA

View Full Version : Ohio- De-smoging gm 2.8

Tripower389
08-09-2007, 10:54 AM
1985 S10 2.8 2bbl

I was wondering if anyone has de-smoged one of these engines and has a list or directions on what can be removed and not effect the over all operation of the engine. Or if anyone knows of a source that has this information.

- Jason

Muzikman
08-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Years ago I looked into it for my Camaro (yeah, it had a 2.8). It didn't seem too hard, but I would have needed a new intake, carb and ignition. Everything else was just removing crap.

Tripower389
08-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Why a new intake carb and ignition ... I'm not looking for performance just to simplfy the snake pit of vacuum tubing.

- jason

Muzikman
08-09-2007, 03:33 PM
On the 82 Camaro (and I think it was the only year for it) they used a really strange electronic carb. Mine went bad and it took me almost a month to find a new (rebuilt) one.

The intake was funky as well and no other carb fit it. I don't know if this was 82 specific or not).

The ignition was so I could get rid of the "computer" which controlled the carb.

Other than that, hollow out the cat, cut the belt off the air pump and plug any vacume lines (though if you replace the carb and intake, there shouldn't be many attached lines (brake booster I think was it).

The stock tranny also had some vacume lines going to it, but I replaced the tranny with one that didn't need the lines, so I just cut and capped them. To be honest, I am not sure what they were for.

slater70440
08-09-2007, 05:37 PM
i think all you need is the advance for the distributer and manifold vacum to the power booster.I may be mistaken though i havet dealt with the for about eight yrs.when i bought someting form the 70

Tripower389
08-10-2007, 07:54 AM
cool I'll have to do some checking in on that

- jason